Crazyhippy
OUCH!!!!

Course no reckless and no Jail.....

BJH
So.Cal.914
Ouch... sad.gif
dakotaewing
Time to get a lawyer -
Ticket indicates admission, and he had to pace you at 100MPH...?

Good Luck..
Twystd1
I can prove that your worn out 1.7 1970 914 cannot sustain a speed over 90 MPH.

I have the math to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

This data will allow you prove the officer must of been wrong in his or his radar guns calculations. Read the Affidavit below

To whom it may concern,

I am Gary Chapman's personal mechanic from GEX motors.

Mr. Chapman's 914 has been running on 3 cylinders for almost a year because of a leaky exhaust valve.

Also Mr. Chapman's transmission has not been able to get into 5th gear for over the three years that I have worked on his car...

Mr.Chapman's 914 is not capable of going 100 MPH. In fact I can't make it go over 70 - 75 MPH while testing the car 3 days before his ticket date.

If you need mathematical and statistical data to prove this. I will forward the data to the court upon request.

So obviously the officer is mistaken and the speeding ticket should be dropped by the court.

Signed,

Manual Martinez,
ECA, DDS, EMC certified Mechanic
GEX Performance Engines

A subsidiary of Stromberg Industries.
Oswego, OR.
LarryR
man it is stacks of those why I dont speed on the street any more... use the info to fight it... might as well give it a try.
sww914
Base fine- $1103.00!!!!!
I bought my 914 for less than that.
Gint
DAMN!

That's gonna leave a mark.
Joe Ricard
Stomberg industries
THAT"S a good one.
URY914
It beats having a car fall on your face.....but not by much. sad.gif
jimkelly
too much info to post in the internet ??

good luck
Aaron Cox
google 'ticket assasin'
sk8kat1
he paced you at 100+ MPH !!! blink.gif
ws91420
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Apr 3 2007, 10:43 AM) *

he paced you at 100+ MPH !!! blink.gif

In a work zone? blink.gif No wonder the fine is 1103.00
Coy
Holy Crap! What was the good news???

I saw a motorcycle cop peaking over the railing on the Stafford Road overpass last Friday as I got off to go to Lake Oswego. Sneaky little bastards.

How did you even break away from traffic long enough to go 100 MPH there?
sk8kat1
the 7 am part might have help with the traffic part biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Apr 2 2007, 11:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment

He said " I have some bad news and good news".............. blink.gif

Damn, Gary! What a stud! I thought you mouth mechanics were boring... Too bad about the ticket. We will be with you in spirit on the 18th...
sk8kat1
...yeah it was never said ... what was the good news ?! poke.gif
Eric Taylor
man that sucks. I didn't think cops would try and grab you at that kind of speed.
That fine is why doing over 100 in oregon isn't worth it anymore. Base fine of a grand for any speed over 100 in this state. I had a friend get pulled over doing 140 in a WRX and he got about the same fine. Had it dropped to like $800 and his license was suspended for a while, but still it's a hefty price. Big difference between 95 and 100 in this state.
grantsfo
Dude, Pay somone to help you fight this! I hear 100 MPH is magic number for insurance companies to put you in much higher risk category for a long time - at least in California that is case, based on conversations with a freind in insurance. My golden rule is to never go over 95 MPH. Your future insurnace costs will likely make the fine look small if this 100 mph ticket stays on your record.
grantsfo
Ouch looked up your 811.111 violation code. I'd seek legal assistance to try to fight this one.

SB 568 – Suspension of driving privileges for speeding offenses • Senate Bill 568 authorizes the courts to suspend the driving privileges of a person convicted of violating the speed limit or designated speed (VBR cases) by more than 30 miles per hour if the person has at least one prior conviction under ORS 811.100 or ORS 811.111 within 12 months of the date of the current
offense. The suspension may be for up to 30 days. The law becomes effective Jan. 1, 2006. If a person drives 100 miles per hour or faster when the person commits a violation described in this section (811.100 or 811.111), a court shall impose the following in lieu of a punishment otherwise imposed under this section:
a. A fine of $1,000; and
b. A suspension of driving privileges for not less than 30 days nor more than 90 days.

Courts must notify DMV that a person was convicted of one of these speeding offenses. These offenses will be added to the Notice of Court Action, Form 735-6115.
For more information please contact: Steve D. Vitolo, ODOT Safety Division, Program Manager, Law-Enforcement and Judicial Programs, 503-986-4446.
drgchapman
So.....I'm on my way to the first A/X of the season at "o-dark thirty" Sunday morning. Gots my new Hoosiers on, all cambered up, ready to rumble with JP's A/X beast. aktion035.gif I hit the stafford to I-205 on ramp and run through the gears finding fourth at the end of the ramp, driving.gif touching a buck twenty five..... happy11.gif .....Car is effing fast. Coast down to ~60, notice the "bad profile" behind me and he lights me up. huh.gif Stafford is a constuction zone right now, so I figure I'm really done. I can't pull over as there is no shoulder for about half a mile, I didn't want to load my new rubber with gravel.
The officer, a Clackamas County Sheriff walks up and asks if I know why he stopped me. "Yes" I replied. He takes my registration and insurance papers, goes back to the patrol car then returns and asks how fast I thought I was going. I replied "about a hundred". He then tells me he was running 120 to pace me and I was still pulling away.....He taps my papers in his hands while looking me over. "You have good safety equipment in a good car with capabilities, your probably a good driver"..........and walks back to his car. unsure.gif
He returns with the ticket and says:"I have some good news and bad news". Good news is I'm not a motorcycle cop and I'm not a State Patrol, they would impound the car and you would need to be bailed out of jail. Bad news is the fine for this speed is $1103. More bad news is this is a construction zone, fines double. blink.gif I'll just leave it at the base fine. clap56.gif You may contest this ticket, but I will show up to court, the judge will, at the very least, double the fine, I suggest you just pay the fine.
I was all "yes sir", "thank you sir".

I sent the check last night. I'm sure my insurance company will have something to say as well at my next renewal.

Loved the crack about stromberg.gif
grantsfo
Maybe you can get insurance for the Cayman S before this hits your record? My wife hit bad girl status recently due to so many moving violations and her insurance is nuts for a Miata. Of course my record is completely clean and I delight in giving her crap.
rhodyguy
some 16yo kid got clipped in OR last year for excessive speed on the 205 and they took the car iirc. i think you're lucky the trooper didn't write you up for the full deal...neg driving or reckless. how fast do you think you were going? in WA you would have been off to jail and there would be NO mitagating circumstances allowed. did you tell the trooper you were late for church? if al b, rich d and i got caught trying to catch the pack on the way to camarillo in 04, we all would have been in jail.

k

drgchapman
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 3 2007, 12:10 PM) *

some 16yo kid got clipped in OR last year for excessive speed on the 205 and they took the car iirc. i think you're lucky the trooper didn't write you up for the full deal...neg driving or reckless. how fast do you think you were going? in WA you would have been off to jail and there would be NO mitagating circumstances allowed. did you tell the trooper you were late for church? if al b, rich d and i got caught trying to catch the pack on the way to camarillo in 04, we all would have been in jail.

k

That was my neighbor's kid. 135 in a M3. Lost his license for a year...
Same on ramp.
rhodyguy
lucky you're not riding a bike to the office. silver lining i guess.

k
Corporal Beef
Way to take one for the team! Just wait, soon Fox news will air a special report on the dangers of 914s. "I was, like, addicted to speed, man. It started out innocently enough, racing through neighborhoods, but soon I just couldn't keep it under 100 mph."
They may sentence you to rehab or speeder's anonymous. smash.gif
drgchapman
QUOTE(Corporal Beef @ Apr 3 2007, 12:44 PM) *

Way to take one for the team! Just wait, soon Fox news will air a special report on the dangers of 914s. "I was, like, addicted to speed, man. It started out innocently enough, racing through neighborhoods, but soon I just couldn't keep it under 100 mph."
They may sentence you to rehab or speeder's anonymous. smash.gif

That's why I need to get the thing off the road and onto a trailer. Way to easy to hit triple digits in nothing flat. It feels so good and sounds awesome.

I need to limit my street driving to the little 2.0.

Wife gets the Cayman, she is tired of driving the Suburban for the last 10 years shuttling kids everywhere.
boxstr
Gary Maybe you can sell that windshield seal on ebay to pay your fine.
CCLIN914NATION
Eric_Shea
Gary,

"Plea in Abeyance"

Get an attorney to "discuss" this with the Judge -or- call and discuss it yourself. This is a no contest plea (so you don't have to worry about the officers last words) but, they will hold that plea in abeyance for a period of time. It might be 1-2 years for that offense. You "will" make sure you are a good boy for that period because, if you get another ticket during your abeyance period, they both go on your record.

So, the good thing is, it doesn't go on your record. The insurance company will never know. The bad thing is, you will have to pay the fine and probably a $50-$100 court fee (they've caught on now.)

I say "they've caught on now" because; I got a ticket for 135mph about 4 miles "into" Michigan by an "Indiana" trooper who was trying to catch me (I slowed down out of respect for MSP because my mother worked there.) biggrin.gif I got an attorney for that one and, this is how I learned about "Plea in Abeyance" programs. At that time it only cost me $50.00 in court fees and they waved the $500 ticket fee. Now they usually charge you the ticket fee and a court fee.

The fact is, they want their money... they don't care about your insurance company. Every state has a "Plea in Abeyance" program. It would be silly not to ask. So... my advice:

1. Call the courthouse and ask to speak to the Judge. You can even go in person if you can get the judges schedule. Dress well.
2. Hand the judge a business card (he may need a crown). Let him know that you're an upstanding pillar of the community.
3. Let him know that you deeply regret what you did and don't offer any explainations.
4. Let him know that your current driving record is sparkeling clean.
5. Ask if there is a "Plea in Abeyance" program whereas you might pay the fine and a court fee to avoid the embarassment of having this on your record while serving the needs of the community.

It works. And, I dare say, you "probably" won't need an attorney.

Good luck.
drgchapman
To all of you, thanks for the offers of what sounds like good advice. The check didn't go out. I've got a couple of weeks 'til the hearing date and I'm speaking with my attorney tomorrow.

I won't be rebel anymore. I won't be a rebel any more. I won't..............

I'm getting a trailer.
Eric_Shea
What'd your attorney say?
Chris Pincetich
I wish I had your problems...sorta. I am lucky to get my 1.7 going that fast at all, a downhill freeway helps. Getting a trailer, now that's putting a positive spin on things. I like it! Now that you have a trailer you are showing responsible change after your "incident". Might as well chop off the windshield, sell the seal(s), add some flares and go racing beerchug.gif
morph
Clackamas County sheeplove.gif ouch! im suprised they did not take your car
james
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 3 2007, 08:46 PM) *

Gary,

"Plea in Abeyance"

Get an attorney to "discuss" this with the Judge -or- call and discuss it yourself. This is a no contest plea (so you don't have to worry about the officers last words) but, they will hold that plea in abeyance for a period of time. It might be 1-2 years for that offense. You "will" make sure you are a good boy for that period because, if you get another ticket during your abeyance period, they both go on your record.

So, the good thing is, it doesn't go on your record. The insurance company will never know. The bad thing is, you will have to pay the fine and probably a $50-$100 court fee (they've caught on now.)

I say "they've caught on now" because; I got a ticket for 135mph about 4 miles "into" Michigan by an "Indiana" trooper who was trying to catch me (I slowed down out of respect for MSP because my mother worked there.) biggrin.gif I got an attorney for that one and, this is how I learned about "Plea in Abeyance" programs. At that time it only cost me $50.00 in court fees and they waved the $500 ticket fee. Now they usually charge you the ticket fee and a court fee.

The fact is, they want their money... they don't care about your insurance company. Every state has a "Plea in Abeyance" program. It would be silly not to ask. So... my advice:

1. Call the courthouse and ask to speak to the Judge. You can even go in person if you can get the judges schedule. Dress well.
2. Hand the judge a business card (he may need a crown). Let him know that you're an upstanding pillar of the community.
3. Let him know that you deeply regret what you did and don't offer any explainations.
4. Let him know that your current driving record is sparkeling clean.
5. Ask if there is a "Plea in Abeyance" program whereas you might pay the fine and a court fee to avoid the embarassment of having this on your record while serving the needs of the community.

It works. And, I dare say, you "probably" won't need an attorney.

Good luck.

Gary- That is good advice Eric has given. I've got 2 weeks left on a six month "probation". If I manage to not get caught... cough, I mean to obey traffic laws, the ticket will not go on my record and my insurance company will never know.

I do wonder if it goes somewhere on your record for lawmens eyes only for the next time you get stopped... confused24.gif

drgchapman
I went across the hall yesterday and presented my ticket to my atorney friend. "What did you do now?" ,he asked. He looked it over, then said "your screwed". He knows of a judge who was caught at 110mph, didn't know if she lost her license, but the fine was big. He advised pleading no contest and same as you Eric, and try to talk to the judge. So I'll make some phone calls today and see who is in charge.

The saga continues.............
dflesburg
Cops are Gay.

Otherwise instead of doing traffic enforcement they would be out finding real criminals.... Wait! Those guys have guns and are dangerous, mean, high bad asses....

Better stick to pulling over minivans and gear heads.
nebreitling
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 5 2007, 08:56 AM) *

Cops are Gay.

Otherwise instead of doing traffic enforcement they would be out finding real criminals.... Wait! Those guys have guns and are dangerous, mean, high bad asses....

Better stick to pulling over minivans and gear heads.

very solid statement -- and strengthed by your logical and compelling support. thumb3d.gif
Mueller
major bummer......

I was towing the 911 back home from AZ a few weeks ago...passed a CHP sitting in the middle divider on 5 and thought for sure my @ss was going to get a ticket for doing 70+ in the fast lane pulling a trailer with the Penske rental truck (55 speed limit for trailers and you are not supposed to be in the fast lane smile.gif )

drgchapman
So I'm running scared, and doing some home work. unsure.gif

Enrolled Senate Bill 568 (SB 568-A)

(5) If a person drives 100 miles per hour or greater when the
person commits a violation described in this section, a court
shall impose the following in lieu of a punishment otherwise
imposed under this section:
(a ) A fine of $1,000; and
(b ) A suspension of driving privileges for not less than 30
days nor more than 90 days.
(6) When a court imposes a suspension under subsection (4) or
(5) of this section, the court shall prepare and send to the
Department of Transportation an order of suspension of driving
privileges of the person. Upon receipt of an order under this
subsection, the department shall take action as directed under
ORS 809.280. + }
SECTION 2. ORS 809.280 is amended to read:
809.280. (1) This section establishes the procedures the
Department of Transportation shall follow when a court orders or
recommends the suspension or revocation of driving privileges.
This section also establishes the period of time the revocation
or suspension will be effective.
(2) When a court orders a suspension of driving privileges
under ORS 809.270, the department shall immediately make proper
entry in its files and records and take other action as necessary
to implement the order. The suspension shall remain in force
until the department is notified by the court that the suspension
is ended, except that, if the department is ordered to
automatically restore the driving privileges upon the successful
completion of a program, the department shall do so and shall
notify the judge that the person has complied with the order of
the judge.
(3) When a court recommends a suspension of driving privileges
under ORS 809.120, the department shall impose the suspension as
recommended by the court.

As It turns out, the court must notify DMV for this to take effect. It appears that there is window of opportunity to beg the court not to notify the DMV of the violation, thus avoiding the suspension of one's drivers license.

So I'm hoping by way of much groveling pray.gif that I just pay the fine, talk the judge out of notifying DMV and be done.
grantsfo
I was pulled over for doing 130MPH plus in Nevada 8 years ago in a Mitsu Turbo Eclipse. The officer gave me a real break and wrote me up for 80 MPH. If he hadnt I suspect I would have been facing similar issues as you.

Best of luck! Let us know how things turn out.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 5 2007, 04:15 PM) *

I was pulled over for doing 130MPH. The officer gave me a real break and wrote me up for 80 MPH.

I am pretty sure that is cop code for "I don't know how fast you were actually going, but I know you were hauling ass. Consider this a gift and slow the hell down."

smile.gif
Zach
MartyYeoman
I was ticketed in Chemult on Hwy 97 (65 in a 35) by an Oregon state trooper and
did the "Plea in Abeyance" approach. I ended up paying the fine as a fee ($175) anyway, but the court didn't process the ticket as long as I didn't get another citation for 6 months. (Easy for me because I don't get up to Oregon all that often.) If you can show you've got a clean driving record it can go along way!! Good luck!!
scotty
</lurk>

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Apr 3 2007, 11:46 AM) *

So.....I'm on my way to the first A/X of the season at "o-dark thirty" Sunday morning. Gots my new Hoosiers on, all cambered up, ready to rumble with JP's A/X beast. aktion035.gif I hit the stafford to I-205 on ramp and run through the gears finding fourth at the end of the ramp, driving.gif touching a buck twenty five..... happy11.gif .....Car is effing fast. Coast down to ~60, notice the "bad profile" behind me and he lights me up.

Dang, that's one of my favorite on-ramps! I guess there's no safe place for the occasional lapse into evil anymore.

<lurk>
SGB
And...

did you make it to the track?
Porsche Rescue
4th overall, not bad considering what must have been on his mind........and the fact that his lovely wife may have been a witness............65 cars entered.

ORPCA Autocross

2007 Season, Event #1

March 18, 2007 PIR

Top Times Of Day Time Class # Driver
Raw time 29.065 NP 141 Ryan Otis
Pos. Class # Driver Car Model . . .
1 NP 141 Ryan Otis 05 Subura 29.065 0.000 0.000
2 MO1 97 Douglas R Skinner 1973 Porsche 911 29.187 0.122 0.122
3 MO1 41 Britain Smith 74 9146 29.857 0.670 0.792
4 MO1 99 Gary Chapman 1970 Porsche 914/6 30.097 0.240 1.032
5 NP 30 James Paulson 2006 Subaru WRX STi 30.118 0.021 1.053
6 NP 1193 Denis Conforth 1993 Chevrolet Corvette 30.146 0.028 1.081
7 MO1 4 JP Stein 74 9146 30.757 0.611 1.692
8 NP 771 George Hudetz 2004 RX8 30.972 0.215 1.907
9 PO4 70 Chuck West 2004 Porsche GT 3 31.241 0.269 2.176
10 NP 193 Rick Moore 1993 Chevrolet Corvette 31.474 0.233 2.409
11 NP 919 Joel Dietzman 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 31.489 0.015 2.424
12 PO3 62 Scott Mills 1982 Porsche
drgchapman
Well, it's been two weeks since I mailed in the fine and my letter of plea in abeyance. I received a letter of receipt from the judge himself, but the check has not been cashed.................

I still have my ODL.

No news is great news, me thinks.............
Eric_Shea
Did you talk to them about a plea in abeyance?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(drgchapman @ May 1 2007, 04:40 PM) *

Well, it's been two weeks since I mailed in the fine and my letter of plea in abeyance. I received a letter of receipt from the judge himself, but the check has not been cashed.................

I still have my ODL.

No news is great news, me thinks.............

Perhaps... I think the courts move slowly in all things. But the fact that the judge himself wrote the receipt is a good sign. I think that more than "no news..." is the good news. He is aware of your plea.
okieflyr
I've been on roads at triple the highway speed limits back in the day,
but my wake up call was a nominal ticket in my STI a couple of years ago.
That was only for what I'd been clocked at. I eventually sold the STI, bought my teener, made it an auto-x race car that I cannot put on the street and trailer it to the events. driving.gif
I'm just trying to keep my speed habits off the roads, and my money out of the courts and insurance pockets. headbang.gif

Kevin Barnes #34XP
Been there, drove that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.