Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Fork Loose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Apparently there is a shift fork inside of the transmission that selects the gears....

it's loose and i cant select anything...

Unbelieveable...

Is there a screw or something or am i looking at a replacement transmission

The linkage set screws are toast too
bd1308
transmission is in neutral now, I suppose I should set it for a gear when i put that side shift console.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 4 2007, 03:13 PM) *

transmission is in neutral now, I suppose I should set it for a gear when i put that side shift console.

WTF.gif

Remove the cover for the shift console. Can you select a gear by moving the the shifter from there?. Is it loose there? If so remove the console. See it is is broken there. Not sure but I think the oil needs to be drained for this.
bd1308
Yes oil does need to be drained for this.

Time for a Britt drawing....(Eric loves these)
Aaron Cox
cone screw backed out if you have no gears.....
TravisNeff
agree.gif the set screw on your shift bar as it enters the engine compartment.
bd1308
no Aaron, I checked.

The shift rod at the transmission was 180 degrees out.

"I" would classify that as a failure at the transmission...........
Joe Ricard
If you have a tail shift you can not just whip out there and quickly modify to side shift.
there are internal "things" that need to be changed.
the rod for a tail shift can not be turned 180 degrees it is held in position by the shift forks. Unless you REALLY broke it
r_towle
take a picture and show me what you mean.
Show it from under the car, rear of the tranny.

I have everything you need, including a cut away transmission case to reset the forks if you really have a broken or loose shift fork.

Rich
bd1308
side shift

somebody quick with a transmission pic
bd1308
two pics ask two main questiosn of mine:
Dr Evil
Not a set screw, its a roll pin. Did it shear?
Dr Evil
Oh ya, check my link for pics of how to check the shift forks and such through the shifter console hole. thumb3d.gif
Eric_Shea
Time for a Britt drawing....(Eric loves these)

Whip it out Pablo! biggrin.gif
bd1308
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 4 2007, 10:11 PM) *

Not a set screw, its a roll pin. Did it shear?

99.5% sure now....

shifter shaft came 74% way out

ohmy.gif

now to fix....new roll pin 2morrow
Eric_Shea
Britt... how come you have all the fun?? confused24.gif
bd1308
bc my car is off of jackstands tongue.gif

thats what i get i suppose
bd1308
Thank goodness I get a Land Rover to drive around for five hours until the problem is fixed

lots of pics will be taken

smile.gif

See you all tomorrow!
John
Good Lord!

Some people have all the luck (an others none)

I just hope your trans is ok inside with the selector and a roll pin loose in there.

Did this happen while driving? What HORRIBLE crunching sounds were heard? When you drain the gear lube, I hope you don't find many many tiny bits of metal, but I suspect that you might.

The roll pin can be replaced, but WHY did it fail? Was your car that hard to shift?

Post some pics of the carnage.
bd1308
I will, but it was shifting very shallow-ly into 3 and 5 (not 1 oddly enough) and very deep into R,2 and 4.

Then i wasnt able to shift into 3 or 5 at all, but could shift into 1 fine, so i just used 1,2 and 4 until i got home.

I was goign to limp over to my parents house to adjust my shift linkage, but then I had zero gears after trying to re-adjust my linkage.

Eventually, **EVERYTHING*** in my car will either be brand new, or almost new.
bd1308
I will post pics, and drain the gear oil too (automatically doen when i take the shift console out)

if anybody has a spare tranny, let me know. I am not doing this anymore.

I figure if everything is newly rebuilt, nothing will break for a while--then I'll actually be ABLE to gett to school and work and back.
bd1308
Heh.

I am good!

pulled shaft out of transmission, no key piece attached

I have it sitting on my desk
Aaron Cox
wow.... never actually thought the roll pin would come out....

order one from mcmaster.com
Joe Ricard
I just welded mine solid. It is amazing how much slop was eliminated.
I do not advise this however. It's just what I did.
r_towle
Britt,
If all that happened is the roll pin came out, you can go two directions with this.

One, get a new roll pin, remove the rest of the console, fish out the shifter rod actuator, and re-assemble.

Or, get a setup all ready to go from someone,
Now, the part to remember, the actuator and roll pin go on the rod after you insert the rod through the console (that is why its not welded)

So, you need all of this on a bench.

The console has an o-ring that you either need to replace, or get some aluminum sealant while you are out and apply a liberal dose to the console to make sure it does not leak.

Rich
bd1308
well, the roll pin is in

and it was like six hours ago, but.....the shift actuator was installed upside down!

Ended up getting a diamond cut carbide bit to drill out the hardened roll pin and had to put new one in.

Oh and it started snowing half-way thorugh
bd1308
now for the reinstall tomorrow....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.