Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How fast do you think it'll be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jake Raby
Here it is... Not bad for a car that will be purposely beaten to the point of destruction! Watch it on SPEED in June!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I can't disclose info on the engine as our opposition is watching!
Hammy
Can't wait!
So.Cal.914

How fast do you think it'll be?,

If it's anything like your last one I'd say to fast.
Jake Raby
My old car was nothing!!!!

That cage is being built so beefy for a good reason!
Thats a 100 shot of Nitrous!
Eric Taylor
Looks awesome jake! Make sure to post when the show is going to be on T.V. I can't wait to watch it.
DerekKim
What kind of racing? Drag? Drift? Road course?
Jake Raby
Drag....

Pass after pass until one of the two cars experiences a catastrophic failure that takes it out of the competition...

Listen to this MP3 for more info
http://www.launchhour.tv/blowItUp.html
DerekKim
Oh great... The Vin Diesel wanna-be....Should be fun though. It's a Raby. It should be good to go!
Jake Raby
Unfortunately it's all about luck in this one...

There are several unknowns that we just won't know till we get to the track, mainly what the opponent has built to counter our attack!
JPB
Dang-it Raby, any more of this sexual provocation and I'll have to go after you for sexual harasment!

pray.gif Hashmalamalrabyshmalamallawary
DerekKim
Hmmm 500hp minimum you say. Should be interesting.
r_towle
Is the other car going to be aircooled?

An I hope you can eventually remove that NHRA cage...wow...

Rich
Jake Raby
Yes.. It's an aircooled Type 1 Drag car...

The cage is forever part of the car, everything is Tig welded in and it's there for good....
JPB
The car is a huge factor for the win but the owner MUST be a great hustler so he can get the contender to fall in his trap, just like a pool shark. I hope the car runs like crap, "on purpose", for the first three races, win one of them, and kills the contender for the last two. I hope to see Jake tweek the beast to win on the last two races and mark his territory for us on that show! Maybe next time, we will see a 914 crush the competition. beer.gif
Jake Raby
JPB, This IS NOT PINKS!
This BLOW IT UP!! Listen to that MP3 for details..
It does NOT MATTER who is the fastest, what matters is who breaks first.

I could have a used a 914 for this show, but I chose the car that weighs 1/2 as much :-)
JPB
Oooopsy. I stand corrected! Crap I suck with names and show names I guess falls into names in general. beer.gif
SGB
this is X-stry good. Hehehehe

What kinda oil will you use?
Jake Raby

One no one has ever heard of here, but it spanks everythingwe vhave tested- It's a semi synthetic.

It's not Royal Purple, it even beats that!
spunone
Sure got alot of AN fittings on your Desk..smile.gif ok what type of Oil will it be oH Master
LS6/914
Jake, with the HP range the Speedster will be in are they requiring axle limiting devices? Larry
jhadler
Forget axle limiters... How about scattershields?

If the motor goes kerpow in dramatic fashion, if I'm sitting 6 inches away from the engine, I think I'd want some form of armor plating between me and the potetnial source of shrapnel.

-Josh2
nebreitling
that is a seriously fugly roll cage....

but everything else looks pretty badass.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Apr 8 2007, 09:13 PM) *

that is a seriously fugly roll cage....

but everything else looks pretty badass.

agree.gif

please use a beetle next time. this wasnt your wicked spyder you had for sale was it?

Jake Raby
Yeah, the cage is really ugly... BUt there is nothing else that's as safe that can be built in the very limited amount of time that we have..
machina
Jake, is there a website for the other guys car? I'd want to know what he is up to.
Joe Ricard
I know what Oil Jake is using.
Super secret (EEVOO)

Extra Extra Virgin Olive oil
Jake Raby
Don't laugh... I have purposely used Panama Jack suntan oil and johnsons baby oil in an engine used for an engine blow contest with GREAT results!

The real oil has been a serious endeavor to test and source and we are currently working out the kinks with the company that makes it to be able to sell it so I have to keep a lid on it for now.

Royal Purple is great oil, but it is not as good as the oil we have found that has a label on it that 95% of car guys have never heard of.

The final portion of oil testing will be to purposely take several oils to 250-300F oil temps in an engine for a couple of hours to see how they do in post analysis. Thats all we have not done at this point.
Jake Raby
Some updates to the car! Here is the cage that Blake made her at the shop! GREAT WORK BLAKE!

The last pic is the header that Racer Chris flew down to build in the car! It's amazing!! THANKS CHRIS!Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
Another simple but time consuming part... I had to fab/ modify this drive for the oil pump!

Click to view attachment

jd74914
Damn that is a nice header drooley.gif Strange ports tho?
Jake Raby
You should see the rest of it!!!
Aaron Cox
wait a second... the heads have side exhaust ports like a type 1?
DBCooper
Oops. Cat out of bag.
Steve Thacker
Jake how could you hose up that Spyder body? I would have loved to have the body for my next project. You just flip'in trashed it... biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 8 2007, 04:23 PM) *

Um, he already said that confused24.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Apr 10 2007, 10:43 AM) *

Oops. Cat out of bag.

That pipe rotates....

This engine has no less than 3 different cylinder heads we can use for the job.

And I have been known to purposely post things to throw off the opposition!

BTW- We just hacked more of the car away.... I took the sawzall to the firewall to make room for the oil pump drive, belt and pump mount!!!!
DBCooper
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 10 2007, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Apr 10 2007, 10:43 AM) *

Oops. Cat out of bag.

That pipe rotates....

This engine has no less than 3 different cylinder heads we can use for the job.

And I have been known to purposely post things to throw off the opposition!

So Chris flew down to Georgia to weld up a special header just so you could fool people?

Don't get shy now, Jake. You always build us up, and I've been looking forward to seeing these for a couple of years already. Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!
Jake Raby
Paul,
we still don't know exactly which way we'll be going with the heads. The engine I am using was a test engine comprised of mostly used prts from 3 different previous test engines. Time didn't allow anything else as we only started this entire build 2.5 weeks ago and we have less than 10 days to finish the entire car and then a drive to Iowa.

I will say that **MY** heads are NOT being used for the build up, we can't trust the only set of prototypes to a situation that might blow them up. The porkies heads are not far enough along to use either, so I had to use what we have available..

The car dictated the necessity for a custom header, not the engine.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Apr 10 2007, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 8 2007, 04:23 PM) *

Um, he already said that confused24.gif

sorry... the case is a type 4 that he pictured.... chair.gif
Twystd1
Me thinks I know what heads your gunna use.... And if I am right.....them suckers flow some serious air..... Sweet.......

I know you guys can't run a rev limiter. AND the opposing team will have a turn at driving YOUR car.

I think the biggest trick is how to build an engine that can be over revved to death by the OTHER team and still not blow up..... Forcing the driver to shift cause there is no more power....

Kinda like building a torque monster from hell that can still rev to the stratosphere and survive.... I have been thinking about that long and hard. How many ways can I skin that cat...?????

Can't wait till ya tell us how ya did it......

This is gunna be great for all of us to see.

I wonder what your opponents will have????????

Twystd1
porschecb
What is the prize if you win? Looks like a lot of braggin rights for the money you are spending! confused24.gif
PinetreePorsche
OK--It'll start to handle really bad before it gets to 165 (assumes the tires are not 1955 dimensions)--unless you have a great big wing on it. Might get past 175 if you do. Where's the ride??-Bonneville? So--give us more--a spoiler, wing, or what? And do tell us what track! We're behind you.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(porschecb @ Apr 10 2007, 07:25 PM) *

What is the prize if you win? Looks like a lot of braggin rights for the money you are spending! confused24.gif

Yep... It's just an opportunity to spank some ass in front of several million people... and that promotes the aircooled engine to those that don't know we are doing the crazy things we are...
More than anything its a HUGE opportunity to prove our work and the capability of the TIV!

Our Type 1 opponent backed out today, less than 3 weeks before the competition- SO now it looks like we'll have race a V8 powered car.

I guess we must have scared him. He has REALLY pissed me off!
alpha434
Nevermind
craig downs
Our Type 1 opponent backed out today, less than 3 weeks before the competition- SO now it looks like we'll have race a V8 powered car.

I guess we must have scared him. He has REALLY pissed me off!
[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUMMER that basturd. I was really looking forward to the T1 va T4 war.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 10 2007, 07:07 PM) *

So now you know who it was? Can you say?

The only heads I know with those kinds of exhaust ports are the Remmele and some long-rumored but seldom seen Peach state home-made, but I don't go onto your web site so don't know the latest. I'll tell you, I was surprised you'd go with any untested stuff. A better word would probably be unproven in race applications, like those heads. If it's a contest to see who breaks and not who's the fastest I'd think you'd want mostly non-exotic stuff you know from long experience will never break.
Jake Raby
The billet heads I worked with for 3 years have never been pictured, only 4 people have ever seen them and they are not being used for this build because they are very expensive prototypes that can't be sacrificed- plus they are not proven on anythging more that a 14K mile 235HP street engine.

I have tabled these heads at the current state of development to team up with Charles at LN to finish the "porkies" head project that Shad Laws started prior to his separation from the company, leaving Charles with some bad ass plans for an unfinished head.

Honestly our engine is built from 85% used parts, including the cylinders, pistons, rings and heads. The cam and rods are new, the crank has 15K miles on it, but was modified before this challenge to do the job.

The only new parts in this engine are the cam, lifters and rods... All the other components are used an well understood. We know there is a very good chance we can break and go home the loser and thats OK because it's part of life, I just can't waste prototype parts.

we all know that the winner of this event will be the aircooled engine, thats because it will give our indutry another shot in the arm and let other enthusiasts from other walks of life see what we are doing and they might just end up with a vintage VW or Aircooled Porsche and thats what it takes to keep things going for me to be able to do this for another 30 years+ as well as other people in the same boat.

Yes, thiat is worth a few thousand dollars and shutting the shop down for 3 weeks. I'll trade 3 weeks for 30 years any day and I love to push things to the max. When it boils down to it basically the winner is the luckiest guy at the track, he doesn't own the best car or engine, he is just lucky.
So.Cal.914
Well then the best of Luck to you, wup some V8 ass.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 11 2007, 02:08 PM) *

Well then the best of Luck to you, wup some V8 ass.

agree.gif

I can't wait to see this! It would have been nice to see a show down between T1 and T4, but I think an even larger audience will learn to respect air-cooled power if a T4 smokes a wasserpumpin' V8 chowtime.gif

Good luck!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.