Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sbc carb choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pffft
My pockets are not deep enough for FI right now,
so i am limited to carbs.
When I went to bolt the oldish holley that came with
my motor on this weekend, I discovered it won't fit.
I had never removed the lifting plate from the manifold
before, but when I did it was obvious this was a no go,
I am guessing this is an early carter manifold and the
holley has a much bigger base. So I'm gonna go ahead
and get a new manifold, newer technology and save some
weight while I'm at it.
But since I'm replacing the manifold I started wondering
about the unknown condition of the carb (I think it is a
vacumm secondary 600)
So, any suggestions on whether to go Edebrock/Carter
or Holley if I do replace it? I've had a couple holleys
before, but not in 30 (gasp) years.

Hyd lifter 327 with (afaik) stock internals. If my new tranny
comes through I will not be as worried about keeping it
mild, but for now it is going in front of a stock 901.

patrick
marks914
Edelbrock all the way Its so simple and easy to tune.
The only problem is no mechanical secondaries.
The Edelbrock will only take 6psi of fuel presure, so you may need a regultor, they will flood with 7psi.
I replaced my Holley 600 double pumper with an edelbrock last year.
I don't think I would buy any Holley stuff again. I went through a few Holley fuel pumps too.

Mark
boxstr
DEMON carb.
CCL
effutuo101
I prefer the Edelbrock. I had one in my 4x4 and put the Off Road kit to keep the floats from flooding me out when I was at odd angles. They are really easy to use, clean, rebuild and run.
pffft
Mark, will the Edelbrock go better with this shiny
new 4 way gauge?

patrick

QUOTE(marks914 @ Apr 9 2007, 01:57 PM) *

Edelbrock all the way Its so simple and easy to tune.
The only problem is no mechanical secondaries.
The Edelbrock will only take 6psi of fuel presure, so you may need a regultor, they will flood with 7psi.
I replaced my Holley 600 double pumper with an edelbrock last year.
I don't think I would buy any Holley stuff again. I went through a few Holley fuel pumps too.

Mark

Aaron Cox
arent the edelbrock carbs in fact made by weber?
LS6/914
I have used Holley, Carter (now Edelbrock/Weber casting), and Demon (Barry Grant ). All are highly tuneable but it requires a good understanding of each makes fuel delivery. For out of the box ease I would recomend a Edelbrock package. The Demon, Barry Grant carbs use the same main jets, idle air bleeds, high speed bleeds, metering block gaskets as the Holley. The Demon may give you a severe rich condition on HEAVY braking before setting up for a turn. For all out comp I still prefer Holley only because I have used them for 30+ years, now its time for a nap yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif Larry
Twystd1
I have a suggestion for you.....

Give Troy Patterson a call.

TMPC CARBS.. Troy is the GURU over there.

The VAST majority of the fellas here aren't really up on the newest technology on carbs. Things have come a long way in the last 5 years. Everything you thought about carbs has changed. Primarily because of DYNO data logging and REAL TIME analysis on running track cars.

Troy Patterson knows so much about SBC setups it will blow your mind.
(And many others as well)

I highly suggest you chat with him before you pull the trigger on any carb and/or intake manifold.

Tell Troy a friend of Darrin Morgan suggested that you give him a call.

You must know ALL of your engine parameters before you call him.....

Engine size, cam, headers, valve train setup, which heads with what valves, ported or stock, static compression ratio,etc...etc...

I don't believe anyone can really suggest the best case scenario for intake and carbs until they know all of the above.

By the way.... Troy's time is worth bank... Hopefully he will give you some data for free to get you started. (He is in SoCal)

You won't be disappointed with what he has to say............................

Regards,

Clayton
BIGKAT_83
The Edelbrock carb is the way to go. Half the price of a Barry Grant carb and a better street carb. The edelbrock is the old carter AFB carb.

Bob
propricer
I'm running an Edelbrock 500cfm on my 327 with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold - not the hi performer, just the performer.
Don't over carb it ... use the formula !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.