Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porschee no startee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Halfbad
Hi guys, I've recently bought a 1972 914 with what I assume (or think) is the 1.8 liter engine. It was basically sitting in a garage for the last couple of years, so I am trying to get the thing running so I can get the kids out on the autocross course. At least this way they can have some fun and not hurt anything and anyone. Bottom line: I seem to have spark, but no fuel. When I turn on the key I can hear the fuel pump kick in and I have poured a little gas into the throttle body and it will fire up, but not run. If this were a carbureted engine, no problem, but with all of the various fuel and air management components I don't know where to start. I removed the fuel injectors yesterday and cleaned them as best I could, but nothing changed. Any ideas where I should start and which components might be the most likely candidates as the broken ones? HELLLLLLLP! Thanks in advance. headbang.gif
TravisNeff
Try this website for diagnosing your problem. And it should be a 1.7 DJET for a 1972.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Halfbad @ Apr 12 2007, 10:16 AM) *

Hi guys, I've recently bought a 1972 914 with what I assume (or think) is the 1.8 liter engine. It was basically sitting in a garage for the last couple of years, so I am trying to get the thing running so I can get the kids out on the autocross course. At least this way they can have some fun and not hurt anything and anyone. Bottom line: I seem to have spark, but no fuel. When I turn on the key I can hear the fuel pump kick in and I have poured a little gas into the throttle body and it will fire up, but not run. If this were a carbureted engine, no problem, but with all of the various fuel and air management components I don't know where to start. I removed the fuel injectors yesterday and cleaned them as best I could, but nothing changed. Any ideas where I should start and which components might be the most likely candidates as the broken ones? HELLLLLLLP! Thanks in advance. headbang.gif

If it has been sitting for a couple of years and the PO says "ran when parked" you could have a clogged fuel filter and bad fuel. Drain the tank and change your filter, the pump is right under the tank as well so you might check it while you are there to see if it is truely pumping or just making noise. That fuel is varnish after two years. Varnish just doesn't flow the way gas does.
You have L-Jet I believe? I am not too familiar with 1.8 liter motors but did know a bit about L-Jet at one time. It is simpler than D-Jet. Most problems blamed on fuel injection are actually something else and FI parts can be rather expensive. Moral is rule out other causes first. The fact that you have fire when you add exogenous fuel points to fuel system as a starting point.
Good luck...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.