Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping spare parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Relay panels - does this have value? I just found it from over 20 years ago. Can it be helped/fixed? How?

I've heard that some have recoated the based, to keep oxidation from taking over. With what? How?
THX
Pat
John
As long as there is continuity through all the connectors, it is a working unit. The black material (potting compound??) typically cracks and falls out as part of yours has done.

When that happens, some of the connectors can move when you plug them in such as the voltage regulator.

I have heard of people chipping all that hardened black material out and using something else to seal it up.

Pretty much anything non-conductive that you can fill it with will help support the copper tracks that make up the circuit board and protect it from moisture.

You could mix up a bunch of epoxy and pour that in to seal it up.

I've got a bunch of those in boxes. I don't use them with my 6-conversions.
skline
Just use a non conductive resin with hardener and it should be fine.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 13 2007, 08:06 PM) *

Just use a non conductive resin with hardener and it should be fine.

Umm, these parts are irreplaceable, so what are you suggesting as "non-conductive" resin?

BTW - I'm only asking - no slam!

This is my only spare, should I carefully chip out the old crap? Replace it with....?
Thanks
Pat
John
You could try some kind of Fiberglass resin. You could try a waterproof BONDO type of catalyzed resin, or like I suggested, Epoxy works.

I believe there is some kind of electrical potting material that is used in explosion proof fittings. You would have to check with an electrical supply house for details.
Aaron Cox
Pot it with BLACK RTV smile.gif

works great
rick 918-S
Windshield urothane. You can get it in large calk gun sized tubes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.