Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swaybar backing plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marks914
While I have my tank out to do my new heater i was going to install my swaybar. Its a 19mm bar but it does not have the backing plates for the inside. I was planning on fabbing a piece and welding some nuts on the back. How thick should this plate be?

Thanks

Mark
davep
The front swaybar mount, factory part, is probably normal body thickness 0.8mm or .032". I think about double that would be better. If you have to have an exact measurement I might be able to measure my part.
rick 918-S
Mark, I'd use 14-16 GA.

although there are many threads on sway bars here's a recent one.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=60071&hl=
skline
Why wouldn't you just order one from Engman? They are perfect for what you want to do. I have bought them for every car I have done and he is fast at shipping too. Here is a link to his stuff. I think I have bought everything he makes and used it on my car with no complaints, ever.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=60168
Bartlett 914
The original is 20 gage. It is welded on the outside. I made mine from 16 gage. I made a tool to form the flange on the through hole. I made threaded bosses and welded them in place.
marks914
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 14 2007, 06:57 AM) *

Why wouldn't you just order one from Engman? They are perfect for what you want to do. I have bought them for every car I have done and he is fast at shipping too. Here is a link to his stuff. I think I have bought everything he makes and used it on my car with no complaints, ever.

I can water jet one in about 15 minutes for free and I was going to put the bar in today. Plus I just like making stuff.

Mark
skline
QUOTE(marks914 @ Apr 14 2007, 07:33 AM) *

I can water jet one in about 15 minutes for free and I was going to put the bar in today. Plus I just like making stuff.

Mark

O I C I am just lazy and would rather have someone else do it for me smile.gif

How is my guage coming along? I cant afford it just yet but I will be getting one of them from you this year for my car.
Bartlett 914

Mark

Want a drawing? I have a .DWG and maybe I can give you a .DXF
marks914
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 14 2007, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(marks914 @ Apr 14 2007, 07:33 AM) *

Mark

O I C I am just lazy and would rather have someone else do it for me smile.gif

How is my guage coming along? I cant afford it just yet but I will be getting one of them from you this year for my car.

The gauge is ready any time. I am also working on a modern "guts" V8/6cyl tach as well as the heater setup and the Porschev SBC valve covers. I should be able to test the heater as soon as I get the swaybar and the tank in.

Mark
RustyWa
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 14 2007, 07:20 AM) *

The original is 20 gage. It is welded on the outside. I made mine from 16 gage. I made a tool to form the flange on the through hole. I made threaded bosses and welded them in place.

Those are nice! Do you still need to make that little notch on the tank side with you system?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(RustyWa @ Apr 14 2007, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 14 2007, 07:20 AM) *

Those are nice! Do you still need to make that little notch on the tank side with you system?

No!

I have the car stripped but I think these can be installed with the tank in place. I use a template and center punch 4 spots. The large one is 1.25" (IIRC). I used a hole saw. The other 3 are drilled using a step drill. I welded it in place through several small holes and some welds on the outside. It is nearly exactly how Porsche did it only theirs was pretty and 20 gage instead of 16.
RustyWa
I think you did a nice job!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(RustyWa @ Apr 14 2007, 03:49 PM) *

Thanks beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RustyWa @ Apr 14 2007, 03:49 PM) *

Yep, agree.gif I saw them installed on Marks car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.