Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding costs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rigglet
I am going to need a bit of panel replacement work done on my '71 and I need to see what kind of money I need to budget for some welding work. My plan is to purchase the replacement panels and then have someone who welds better than me put them in.

Here's what I know needs to be done...

Passenger side floor
Rear firewall (this will include at least a replacement clutch tube as well)
Battery tray and support
Minor patch in the hell hole

I know costs will vary by location, but I'm just looking for ballpark numbers.

So whatcha think?
r_towle
These cars need special knowledge to keep them straight and keep the panel gaps lined up correctly while cutting and welding.

It is not rocket science, but a guy who has BTDT will be faster and not have to learn on your car.

Brad Meyer (sp) is in your neck of the woods, and should be the place that you should bring the car.

Rich
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 19 2007, 01:58 PM) *

These cars need special knowledge to keep them straight and keep the panel gaps lined up correctly while cutting and welding.

It is not rocket science, but a guy who has BTDT will be faster and not have to learn on your car.

Brad Meyer (sp) is in your neck of the woods, and should be the place that you should bring the car.

Rich

agree.gif

If you need his number, let us know and we can get it for you. He is in Peoria IL. He really knows the 914. He may also (should) have the parts. He also sells a super long kit that will really make the car strong.
GaroldShaffer
Give Brad Mayeur a call at 914 Limited. Michael there does excellent welding work, plus they are all 914 guys. 309-694-1797
So.Cal.914
Not cheap, IMO you should buy a welder, practice a bit and do it yourself. But

again, thats only my opinion.
TravisNeff
I'm with Paul. Buy a welder and start practicing. The cost of having someone do the work for you will cost you as much as a welder setup.

Welder
Wire
Gas tank
Angle grinder with flap wheels (sanding disks) & cut off wheels
mask
gloves

For what you want to do a 110v unit would be fine. If you ever plan on doing more work on bigger items (thicker steel) then you should bite the bullet now for a larger unit.

Get a buddy to show you how to weld, it is easier for me to learn by someone showing me than by reading it in a book.

I bought a Miller 175 (220V), cart, tank, consumable parts (liners, nozzles and tips) delivered to my door for about $900. I got a mask from HF, works great for me. already had the angle grinder & supplies there.
IronHillRestorations
Welding it yourself isn't a bad idea if you have the time, inclination, tools, and skillset or ability to learn. The problem with not having experience is getting it right, and done in reasonable time frame. With all the metal replacement you need, having the car fixtured to a bench would be the best thing. If you think you need just what you list, I'm betting there's more than you think. At the point it's more than you think, the task becomes much more daunting.

I like doing that kind of stuff, so my recommendation contradicts my personal preference. You just have to be careful you don't end up without a 914 to drive for too long.
yarin
Can anyone give a ballpark figure of what it would cost for something like this for quality labor?

$1000, a few grand?
ptravnic
I got a quote today (in Buffalo) for quarter panel replacement - $44 per hour - ya just gotta trust the shop isn't "learning as they go"... The shop here in Buffalo has been doing collision work for more than 15yrs fwiw.

-pt
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 19 2007, 06:37 PM) *

Can anyone give a ballpark figure of what it would cost for something like this for quality labor?

$1000, a few grand?

I do my own work, but a friend asked about R&R of a Q panel and he was quoted

$1,200.00
rigglet
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 19 2007, 09:07 PM) *

For what you want to do a 110v unit would be fine. If you ever plan on doing more work on bigger items (thicker steel) then you should bite the bullet now for a larger unit.

I know gas is the way to go, but for these jobs would flux core wire work? The cost difference between the two is quite a bit. Of course the welding results will be too, I'm sure. biggrin.gif

After reading all these posts I'm really leaning towards trying this myself. I've done a bit of welding, but it's been several years. So practice will be a must before starting. welder.gif

Thanks for all the input everyone! This is a great community for those of use who enjoy these cars!
stepuptotheMike
For what it's worth, I just bought a Hobart 140 from Northern tool and a gas cylinder. With auto-darkening helmet I think the total came about just a shade over $700.

I've got a ton of rust work to do on my car and I'm going to need a bunch of metal... while i will need a ton of practice, in the long run it should be gobs cheaper than having a shop try and tackle all of this.

My main point is that the rig with gas was about $700.

Good luck.

-Mike
Spoke
I bought a Millermatic 135 less than a year ago and it is one of the best investments I've made in a long time. Unless you're building a bridge and welding 1/4 to 1/2 inch steel, the 110V units are fine with the convenience of plugging into a good 110V garage socket (meaning good heavy 8 or 10ga wiring from the circuit breaker box).

So far, I've fixed:

a rip in my 1.7L muffler
tab broken off of a rear swaybar
1.7L muffler hanger
bunches of welds on my wrecked 71
A buddy's bus muffler
A few small rust holes in the 71
Replaced a 4in x 24in section of trunk floor in the 71
Rust holes on the 74
Made a support column for a fixture for use in backyard pond.
Tear in the mower deck of my Wheel horse lawn mower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.