Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best selling color 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
r_towle
The idea is that I will build a car, ground up, stripped, welded, undercoated, new suspension, new brakes...new motor...
All completely restored and then sell it.

But, Its delphi Green, and while some people like that color, I would like to paint the car with the most popular color out there, and make sure it sells for the most money...duh..

These cars are great, but they are not yet collectable enough to worry about maintaining the original color...the next guy can do that in 20 years when its worth something...

Rich
DanT
Phoenix Red....this one use to be delphi too biggrin.gif
Midtowner
Na-na-na-noooo. How about Signal Orange? smile.gif

Click to view attachment
DanT
Hi Erik bye1.gif
Elliot Cannon
SCHWARZ
Twystd1
Sanfransiscan "Mauve"

Because it's special.

Ron...
dekman
I'm not seeing Tangerine as a choice? huh.gif I'd have to say it's the "Leading" color...don't you think?
So.Cal.914
Saturn Yellow...I like Delphi.

Click to view attachment
nbscooters
Sounds like a fun idea, but the receipts add up quick.

L20E ALL THE WAY
jwhcars
Black or Red are the popular colors for resale in the general automobile market.I suspect that our market would be close.....but you know Porsche people like to be different.I have a copper and a light blue Porsche.
Gustl
I'd say the original colour would be the best choice ...
blitZ
Silver has always been the classic Porsche color to me. Also, it's generic enough to be appealing to most people.
Spoke
Ravanna Green

No, wait,

Red
mills914/s
I like silver and silver is a easy color to sell.Most people like it.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(blitZ @ Apr 20 2007, 08:13 AM) *

Silver has always been the classic Porsche color to me. Also, it's generic enough to be appealing to most people.

agree.gif

Keep an eye on the Porsche classified ads. Silver cars (in general) seem to sell faster than the other colors.
skline
Well, as of right now, the vote seems to be YELLOW!!!! Which is my favorite smile.gif
73Phoenix20
Phoenix Red is nice, but Silver sells Porsches! It is the original Factory color after all!
The "Don't Do's" ... White (although it covers a multitude of body sins), Greens other than BRG, Purples (although Aubergine is really sharp), and anything with metalflake... unless you want to put hydraulic cylinders on it and make it dance in a parking lot! ;>))
woobn8r
They don't call it "RESALE RED" for nuthin'
Also look on the cover of most sportscar magazines....you'll see a red car.

Personally, I hate red unless it's that Italian trash....
Silver is great...but makes no statement...like white...
Black looks awesome...hard to keep nice and not too popular on the left coast....Too hot.
Tangerine would be my choice...but my wife would veto anything Orange...it's NOT the new red...
The younger generation seems to like Yellow....do they have enough $ to buy a resto 914?
Green ...another personal favorite (some shades) ...but, that's just me...
Blue...gulf blue is cool....Miata "bubble gum blue" is okay too...but, I don't think most would agree with me and pay the bucks...

So what would I buy for big $$$...

CHARCOAL GREY...easier to keep than black...looks great...makes an impression...still "porsche like"...not offensive...will not ever be out of style...light enough to not feel "hot" on a nice day...nice metallic shades to choose from....wife can't disagree...get the cheque book!!!
computers4kids
Should be 'not the best selling color' but the color that rusts the least!

Rustoleum Red av-943.gif
william harris
I voted for Blue.
jd74914
I like signal orange . . . and I really like some greens.
DipShit
Definately Signal Orange! Why couldn't we vote for orange sad.gif
alpha434
Cause your screen name is dipshit.

HIYA!

I voted for aubergine.
McMark
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 20 2007, 05:03 AM) *

agree.gif
I would never pay big bucks for a restoration that was color changed.
rjames
If it's in pristine shape, just about any color looks good, however you can't go wrong with silver.
Coy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 20 2007, 05:03 AM)

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 20 2007, 12:24 PM)

agree.gif I would never pay big bucks for a restoration that was color changed.

agree.gif I would agree with that too!

Click to view attachment

Mine was color changed, and I'm glad because I like silver. But I wouldn't pay big bucks for it still. .
alpha434
I wouldn't not buy a cool car just because it's a repaint. That's ridiculous, and I know plenty of collectors, local here, that think similarly.

You do the job properly, though. THAT one is serious like cancer. Spend the big bucks, and really make it look nice, or else those same buyers would not consider your car.

Any color's fine.
RickS
Signal Orange, Black if you can make it perfect, or a sure seller.... silver
JPB
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 20 2007, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 20 2007, 05:03 AM) *

agree.gif
I would never pay big bucks for a restoration that was color changed.

agree.gif Have we lost all sence and have changed the colors of our cars? Gnaaaaaaaaaah, maybe. The original, and hope she is a good one!
jonferns
I voted yellow.
Pat Garvey
Original color, though I'm partial to bahiarot. Second place would be augergine.

But that's me & I'm a little wierd.
burton73
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Apr 20 2007, 03:02 PM) *

I wouldn't not buy a cool car just because it's a repaint. That's ridiculous, and I know plenty of collectors, local here, that think similarly.

You do the job properly, though. THAT one is serious like cancer. Spend the big bucks, and really make it look nice, or else those same buyers would not consider your car.

Any color's fine.

This is a very good point. The color will turn some people on but if the car looks like it came out of a showroom some one will lay down there big money. If it comes out as a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10 it will never get the BIG money you want and you are going lose money. If has to be premo and you have to not be in a hurry to sell it. Now lets go over money!!!

Bob
94teen6
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Apr 20 2007, 07:26 AM) *

CHARCOAL GREY...easier to keep than black...looks great...makes an impression...still "porsche like"...not offensive...will not ever be out of style...light enough to not feel "hot" on a nice day...nice metallic shades to choose from....wife can't disagree...get the cheque book!!!

Like this?
woobn8r
QUOTE(94teen6 @ Apr 21 2007, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Apr 20 2007, 07:26 AM) *

Like this?

EXACTLY!
But, I've decided to paint mine ....white.
JPB
Paint is way over rated man. I vote nonpaint. beer.gif
carreraguy
If ya gots ta paint it'; only one color would do - Signal Orange! The iconic Teener color in my mind!
orange914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 19 2007, 11:14 PM) *

The idea is that I will build a car, ground up, stripped, welded, undercoated, new suspension, new brakes...new motor...
All completely restored and then sell it.

But, Its delphi Green, and while some people like that color, I would like to paint the car with the most popular color out there, and make sure it sells for the most money...duh..

These cars are great, but they are not yet collectable enough to worry about maintaining the original color...the next guy can do that in 20 years when its worth something...

Rich

WHERE'S huh.gif ORANGE!
markb
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 20 2007, 04:03 AM) *

agree.gif
dobbs
QUOTE(jwhcars @ Apr 20 2007, 06:41 AM) *

.....but you know Porsche people like to be different.

I picked lavender blue poly. A bit different for a 914. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself! I've painted the doors but I still have rusty floor pans.... rolleyes.gif

what can I say? I couldn't wait to see how the color looked...

Click to view attachment

cantley914
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Apr 19 2007, 10:33 PM) *

Na-na-na-noooo. How about Signal Orange? smile.gif

Click to view attachment

SIGNAL ORANGE

All the way !!!
Greg808
confused24.gif
where is orange, it has got to be in the top four with 914's.

I say start the voting over and see where it goes.
I think the great thing about these cars are that they look great in a lot of colors especially when you get a group together.

Click to view attachment

cool_shades.gif
DanT
a group like this biggrin.gif
All 914s in this photo were taking part in the DE/TT the weekend this pic was taken clap56.gif
So.Cal.914
They really do look good in almost any color...

Click to view attachment

except maybe Earl Shibe blue. huh.gif

Click to view attachment
pin31
Phoenix Red !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r_towle
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 23 2007, 02:30 AM) *

They really do look good in almost any color...

Click to view attachment

except maybe Earl Shibe blue. huh.gif

Click to view attachment

Where did the top picture come from?
Is it available in a poster, or in a very high quality EPS file?

Rich
srthompson01
I don't know how Ferdinand Porsche felt about the subject but Enzo Ferrari was once quoted as saying " a true sports car comes in only three colors..... black, white and red."

And since I don't have A/C in my beloved 914. I go white. OK it was that way when I bought it.

I consulted a friend who works in Auto sales and suprisingly many people will not buy silver for fear of fading to gray. He says sports cars always sell better in red.
orange914
Click to view attachment
SIGNAL ORANGE! mueba.gif
Midtowner
QUOTE(Greg808 @ Apr 22 2007, 08:17 PM) *

confused24.gif
I think the great thing about these cars are that they look great in a lot of colors especially when you get a group together.

I agree!

Click to view attachment

1970 Neun vierzehn
#1 Tangerine
#2 Signal Orange
.......but if I were doing it, or looking to buy what you are planning to build.....the original color would trump anything else.
jonferns
i still like yellow...even better than my red car...maybe because the paint is crap....hmmm.. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.