Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing a busted ass cv bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrhurtalot
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

holy begeezus, seems things dont want to work out for me.

short vers.

cv bolt
not a torx driver
stripped... confused24.gif
SEARS!
bolt remover
head snapped off.
two weeks later

still stuck.
tried various things,

pb blaster, reverse bits, tap die set. drill

nothing seems to work.

if you are local and you happen to help me maybe you can get some free beer.gif beerchug.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Apr 23 2007, 05:43 PM) *

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

holy begeezus, seems things dont want to work out for me.

short vers.

cv bolt
not a torx driver
stripped... confused24.gif
SEARS!
bolt remover
head snapped off.
two weeks later

still stuck.
tried various things,

pb blaster, reverse bits, tap die set. drill

nothing seems to work.

if you are local and you happen to help me maybe you can get some free beer.gif beerchug.gif

I would grind the head off. Remove the other bolts and the CV joint. The bolt should then screw out. Maybe loctite was used. Heat it and use vise grips if it is stuck.
rick 918-S
Ya, heat it just a little. Someone may have used locktite. Also you may be able to weld a nut over the end of the fudged head and back it out that way. (don't ask me how I know... mad.gif )
Dave_Darling
And it's definitely not a Torx head. You want an "M8 triple square", or "the Bug CV joint socket".

--DD
mrhurtalot
dave. i know that now. LMAO

MARK! thanks so much. you'd think for a future engineer id have a little more imagination than what i do....

if you are ever near me in oklahoma free case of beer to you. or whatever soda you like best!

cv's off trannys out tommorrow afternoon. hopefully be able to drive the car before it gets too hot and i have to fix the A/C! IT NEVER ENDS!!!
Andyrew
Dang... at this point I would have welded a 3/8 extension on it and busted that nut..

er bolt.

John
Like Mark suggested, I would grind it off to get the CV joint off. You could then use a locking type pliers to remove the bolt. if it is still stuck, you can get a real cheap output flange for the trans.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Apr 23 2007, 08:39 PM) *

dave. i know that now. LMAO

MARK! thanks so much. you'd think for a future engineer id have a little more imagination than what i do....

if you are ever near me in oklahoma free case of beer to you. or whatever soda you like best!

cv's off trannys out tommorrow afternoon. hopefully be able to drive the car before it gets too hot and i have to fix the A/C! IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Good to hear you got it off. Sometimes these things really kill our enthusiasm.
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.