Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eastwood's Chassy Black paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I have painted the underside of my car with Eastwood's Cahssie Black paint. the problem is, its really soft.

I scraped and aircraft strippered and wire bruished the underside of my car down to bare metal (was that ever fun) and then cleaned it and painted it. It was my understanding that Chassie Black was supposed to be some tough stuff. I put on 2 coats. I can scratch it off easily with my finger nail, 2 days later.

What gives? Is the paint soft? Should I bite the bullet and repaint with bedliner or something?

I also have Eastwoods Rust Converter and Rust Encapsulator. I used the converter sunday on a few spots, and then put a coat of Encapsulator over that. My plan was then to paint the entire engine bay in Chassie Black, but if the paint sucks, I guess I'll have to find somehting else.

Zach
rmital
...I painted the undercarriage (POR15) of my car mid-December. My car resides in a tarp enclosure so the temperature almost matches the outside temp. It was around 50 degress +or- at night but the days were still pretty warm.

I noticed it cured much slower than the stuff I did back in August. Humidity was my problem....I think, but it did eventually set up just fine. Just took a little bit longer with out the best environment.

No answer for Eastwood's product, just my own experience....
VaccaRabite
I've registered to Eastwoods forum to ask about it, but they are VERY slow to add me. I hate it when forums need a moderator to let you in.

No one here with other opinions or experiences?

Should I just shoot the underside and engine bay with bedliner?

Zach
PanelBilly
I'm not sure about the paint you're using, but in my paint shop, some of the products we use take 30 days to cure! Not that you can't touch the paint a day after shooting it.
kart54
There was another thread on the old site about the Eastwood paint. According to that thread, very tough stuff but takes quite awhile to fully harden. I do know the exterior paint on my last car took over thirty days to fully harden. I chipped a couple of spots putting bumpers and such back on in that time but I couldn't do that now as the stuff is rock hard and is really stuck to the body.
Randy
VaccaRabite
Okay, well in that case I will attempt to un-bunch my manties and give it more time to harden.

Zach
Joe Owensby
I used their Extreme Chassis black on my trailing arms last week. It too was soft after a week. Maybe a call to their tech line would be good to do. I was going to wait a few weeks to be sure before I considered removing and replacing, etc. Joe
IronHillRestorations
Sounds like you can't do much until you see what Eastwood says. If it doesn't have good adhesion then you've got to take it off!
VaccaRabite
Sadly, I am still waiting for one of their admins to let me into thier forums. It has been a few days now, and I still can't post there.

On the assumption that I have to take it off *will be pissed* what should I put on? Por 15? Bed liner? The metal is in really good shape.

Zach
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 26 2007, 07:51 PM) *

Sadly, I am still waiting for one of their admins to let me into thier forums. It has been a few days now, and I still can't post there.

On the assumption that I have to take it off *will be pissed* what should I put on? Por 15? Bed liner? The metal is in really good shape.

Zach

So where is the car and in what environment? Is it in a cool humid garage? Maybe it just needs a little warmth. If so, you could try some incandescent lights to warm it up. Something like those cheap clip on work lights with 100 watt bulbs.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 27 2007, 09:25 AM) *

So where is the car and in what environment? Is it in a cool humid garage? Maybe it just needs a little warmth. If so, you could try some incandescent lights to warm it up. Something like those cheap clip on work lights with 100 watt bulbs.

Curerently the garage is cool. But when I laid don the paint it was ~75 degrees for several days, with very low humidity.

I am going to give it more time to cure, and wait to see what gets said over at the eastwood forums. At 75 degrees, the paint is supposed to be cured in 24 hours. but that might not actually be the case. Thje more that I read others experiences, it seems that it often takes longer to cure.

I really just don't want to have to take it off. I'd like to be able to get my car off the rotesserie and paint the rest of the body, and start putting the thing back together.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.