Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ok, it wont start everythings hooked up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
ok, finished putting motor in last night and it turns over, but does not start...before I dropped the motor, every time I started it, there would be a clicking/buzzing/hum (lol) noise which I believe was the fuel pump. Now when key is in ignition I do not have that noise, fuel pump is hooked up, and the starter turns over the motor freely, but no go. I have a quarter tank of premium only week old. Do I need a full tank of petrol? Also I replaced the fuel line up to the firewall, would it not start because I didnt prime the line? Keep in mind I have pumped the gas a thousand times though. What gives, anyone?

ps: vehicle is carbed

idea.gif

ps to the ps: my seat came in by fedex this morning!!! not gonna help me much if car wont start sad.gif
markb
Ground wire to the tranny & body connected?
seanery
check that the fuel pump is working/has power.
DrifterJay
well fuel pump is connected and the tranny ground is connected, I am going to go and buy a primer
Brad Roberts
Why ??

Tell us HOW the fuel pump is connected. How is it wired ..what kind of pump is it ?

B
Porsche Rescue
If you have a stock FI pump on a 1.7 you should be able to hear it run for a bit after you turn the ignition on. If not, check the pump fuse (in the relay box) and connections on the pump. May need to pull the positive lead to the pump and connect a test lamp. Turn on the ignition and see if you have 12v.
Aaron Cox
vehicle is carbed

is it a facet? that would make the clicking sound. how did you hook it up (as brad said)?
URY914
Is the pump mounted near the tank?
Or near the engine?

There are two things to remember when locating and mounting a Bendix/Faust fuel pump.

1. The pump is designed to "push" the fuel from the tank to the engine. Not "pull" from the tank to the engine. Locate the pump at the tank.

2. The pump is not self priming. It needs to be mounted low, so the static pressure of the fuel in the tank primes the pump.

I have first hand experance with both of these problems. I did item #1 above when I first converted to carbs. And item 2 when I installed my fuel cell.
Best way to learn is to do it wrong (twice).

Paul
DrifterJay
headbang.gif Honestly I am not sure how it is connected. It is a small box, no bigger than a rubix cube, it is brand new, previous owner put it on. Forgot the brand name but it says Electric Fuel Pump...lol. It has two connections, one grounded on the firewall, the other on the coil. I tried the water bottle idea of pumping the fuel into it, worked slightly one time, the others did not. I dont know what to do really....I really have gone beyond my mechanical reach of this car...I can work on it with the technical manual, installing and following the instructions, but I really dont have the experience with a running one to troubleshoot it. Anyone close by want to help me out...if you free? Acox? Bernbomb? Skline (maybe your a bit to far to bother you...lol). I am sure the problem is simple. I dont know....lol HELP!!!

givemebeer.gif
URY914
Is the pump "plumbed" correctly?

There is an arrow on it or it should say "in" or "out" by the fittings.

Simple but could be the problem.

Paul
URY914
Hang in there, buddy.
Come down off the bridge railing, DON"T JUMP!!

You get through it.

Paul
sj914
If its a small little cube, then that would be a facet. Since it isn't working when you turn the key, try wiring it directly to the battery temporarily to see if it is the pump. if it doesn't work when it's jumpered directly to the battery then your pump could be broken. Those pumps can break at any time and it's probably a coincidence that it broke the same time you pulled your engine. If it does work then you might want to check the wiring that it's connected to. Also check your grounds.
bernbomb914
Where are you? My son might have some time tomorow fri. email me your ph # and I will call you back. I have appointments in the AM

Bernie
Brad Roberts
Paul,

Tell me more about the FACET pumps. I have been installing them in the factory location using the factory wiring/fuse/relay to run them. The diaphram type suck fuel... the rotary type are the ones that push fuel.

I havent had any burnt engines with this setup.. what gives ?? What went wrong when you placed a Facet near the rear of the car ?? Is this ok in street cars ??

B
meursault
Brad, I think you're mounting the pumps low enough that it isn't much of a problem. The pumps have trouble with fuel pickup when they're battling gravity as they suck.

Mounting close to the tank helps too, but the essential requirement is that they are mounted low.
Brad Roberts
I gotcha. I was real worried for about 30 seconds. None of them have given me any problems in the past being mounted in that location.

B
URY914
Brad,
I agree that mouting low is the key. Both times that I had problems I had mounted mine higher than the mid point of the tank.

Low is good.

Paul
john rogers
Your pump is hooked like the one I had on the big four, to the coil +12v connection for power. Handy if you have a kill switch as it kills everything. Check to see if the terminal at the pump spade connector has +12v and that the pump ground has bare metal under the connection. I painted the sheetmetal a couple of years ago and the pump would not ground through the paint! As noted try hooking it directly to +12v at a known good power source after disconnecting the fuel line at the carb to see what you get. Good luck
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Dec 4 2003, 06:41 PM)
Anyone close by want to help me out...if you free? Acox? Bernbomb? Skline (maybe your a bit to far to bother you...lol). I am sure the problem is simple. I dont know....lol HELP!!!

givemebeer.gif

still need help? i just got home. (fri night)
DrifterJay
too late...are you free a couple hours maybe this weekend Aaron??? if you want, Bernbomb has offered to come by tomorrow afternoon possibly, still not sure though. You are welcome to lend a hand, you have a lot more experience than I do certainly...your choice.
Jared

PS:if I was of age I would insert something like a 6pack of bud is waiting, replace that with dr. pepper. lol

welder.gif
skline
Jared,
If I do not hear from Kevin about tomorrows run up to Willow Springs, I will be free in the morning for a few hours. I am not sure where you are at though. I use a rotary pump on mine. I had the Facet pump on there before and it was mounted in the rear of the car by the battery. The rotary pump I just bought, I mounted it up front where the factory FI pump was mounted. The rotary pump is much better than the Facet, I replaced mine because it leaked when I hooked it back up to fire up the new 2270. I figured everything else was new, I should replace it as well. The Facet pumps do click and the rotary are nice and quiet. More efficient too. $50.00 as opposed to 35.00. PM me with your address and I will let you know in the morning. Around 8 or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.