Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: while the engine is out...how to safely remove the
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
tools required:

grinder
a couple of old bath towls
10mm deep well 1/4" drive socket, ratchet and long exstension (disregard the ones pictured)
2 zip ties
a 35"stick

1. slip socket w/ext on the pass bar end @ the roller. you may have to persuade it a bit.

2. press the exstension down and lever the end sideways off the roller.

3. prop trunk open, and secure it at the top. see picture.

4. climb into the eng compartment, fold the towels so they're thick. pull the springs toward you a bit and stuff the towels on both sides of the point you are going to cut. if the towel goes in easy, refold and repack. it should be a jammed in fit.

5. make 1 cut at a time! you may want to repack the towels after the first cut. cut other spring.

6. take your 10mm setup and remove the 4 clips the that secured the springs to the body. throw scrap on garage floor for pictures. DONE.

k
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 AM) *

tools required:

grinder
a couple of old bath towls
10mm deep well 1/4" drive socket, ratchet and long exstension (disregard the ones pictured)
2 zip ties
a 35"stick

1. slip socket w/ext on the pass bar end @ the roller. you may have to persuade it a bit.

2. press the exstension down and lever the end sideways off the roller.

3. prop trunk open, and secure it at the top. see picture.

4. climb into the eng compartment, fold the towels so they're thick. pull the springs toward you a bit and stuff the towels on both sides of the point you are going to cut. if the towel goes in easy, refold and repack. it should be a jammed in fit.

5. make 1 cut at a time! you may want to repack the towels after the first cut. cut other spring.

6. take your 10mm setup and remove the 4 clips the that secured the springs to the body. throw scrap on garage floor for pictures. DONE.

k

Why such a big effort to remove and destroy these springs? 3/8" square rod 24" long with a slot the same as the diameter as the rod (guessing 8mm) near one end would do it in 4 minutes.
jimkelly
many ways to skin a cat - but this is a good how to - jim
rjames
They're not that hard to put back in. Why destroy 'em?
rhodyguy
rear trunk struts. i have a set and i want to put them on. i found this pretty easy. rick, how much time do you think it would take you to fab up a tool AND remove them? i don't consider this any effort at all. robert and rick, have either of you ever had to replace a torn away rear trunk hinge pivot bracket? it's loads of fun with the spring issue to deal with. but...each to their own.

k
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 29 2007, 03:18 PM) *

rear trunk struts. i have a set and i want to put them on. i found this pretty easy. rick, how much time do you think it would take you to fab up a tool AND remove them? i don't consider this any effort at all. robert and rick, have either of you ever had to replace a torn away rear trunk hinge pivot bracket? it's loads of fun with the spring issue to deal with. but...each to their own.

agree.gif cut mine out a long time ago and haven't looked back ...

sawzall-smiley.gif Andy
rhodyguy
i just re read. i don't keep 2" long pieces of 3/8" square stock around the house to make a tool that i don't need. hard item to find on a sunday. 4 minutes...i doubt it. right after you replace pivot braket and hook up the springs, they (the springs) start trying to tear the new one off.

k
TheCabinetmaker
Hmm, I've replaced a dozen or so hinge pivots and never had the new one break off as soon as I hooked it backup. I've never had a new one break off period! Thanks for the how to, but, I'll keep the stock springs. They work great when properly installed and welded.
JBart
This might take a few minutes but I made my from 1/4 stock and a grinder . It works sweet!!!!!! Check it out. But you get done what has to be done !!!!!!
SLITS
Good deal Kevin ..... I tied rope around in two places like you placed the towels and cut 'em both out. The gas struts for the trunk are the cats ass. One of these days I'll do the '74 to ....
rjames
robert and rick, have either of you ever had to replace a torn away rear trunk hinge pivot bracket? it's loads of fun with the spring issue to deal with. but...each to their own.

After removing the springs when one of the pivots broke I installed the JWest trunk pivots instead. With another set of hands and a homemade tool it was pretty easy to reinstall the springs.
computers4kids
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 29 2007, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 29 2007, 03:18 PM) *

agree.gif cut mine out a long time ago and haven't looked back ...

sawzall-smiley.gif Andy

agree.gif Cut mine too...puts some struts on thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif Kevin
rhodyguy
"starts trying to tear it off". dry.gif

i would never buy and cut steel, stand at a grinder, and devote the time it took to make that tool that i would need exactly 2 times in my life. different strokes... blink.gif

james makes very nice products. thumb3d.gif

i hope it was hemp rope ron. unsure.gif

i really wasn't looking to start a debate about the springs. i was hoping to provide a quick, effective, and safe way of removing them. sorry to disappoint. btw... the 20 minutes included collecting the items needed and taking pictures. headbang.gif

k
r_towle
I forget, but it seems to me that I just unbolted the little clips on the body, and while its exciting, its not terribly unsafe..
I do remember putting the damn springs on...I made the tool etc....
That is not a safe process, its an ass puckering process, and I have done it several times, with several tools...each time its just as much excitement and puckering going on....its just not a good system.

Cant you just undo the bolts that hold them down and remove them?
I cant remember..I have one set of struts and one set of springs...
I do agree, that is one weak spot waiting to break though...

Rich
rhodyguy
bump for teknon. disregard the grinder portion. what contition are your rollers in?

k
rhodyguy
a bump for the current thread about the trunk spring removal. it's a finger saver. have fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.