Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The engine keeps running after I turn off the key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
My engine keeps running after I turn it off.

My Pertronic ignition died after hooking up the adapter for the tachometer. It was working for a while. But as I was tuning the carburetors the engine stopped running and wouldn’t start again.

I disconnected the MSD and the engine still wouldn’t start. I put the points in and the engine started. Then I hooked the MSD and the engine started again. But when I turn off the key the engine keeps running

Has anyone had this problem before?

The power to the points/MSD is an original wire from the engine relay board. Should I run a separate wire from the ignition key?
SirAndy
QUOTE(chris914 @ Apr 29 2007, 08:34 PM) *

Should I run a separate wire from the ignition key?

only if you like burning your car to the ground ...

i suspect the ignition switch. you'll fry your pertronix if you leave the key in the "ON" position.
sounds like you got a faulty switch that is stuck in "ON" which would explain why the engine keeps running and why the pertronix fried ...

got another switch you can try?

cool_shades.gif Andy
Gint
My car was doing that when I had the timing at idle very retarded. Since you were changing stuff out it's a possibility.
iamchappy
Power is leaking back into the system is keeping the MSD energized, a one way diode spliced into the the blue alternator wire either before the regulator or the wire running to the alternator light in the dash should solve it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 30 2007, 06:26 AM) *

Power is leaking back into the system is keeping the MSD energized, a one way diode spliced into the the blue alternator wire either before the regulator or the wire running to the alternator light in the dash should solve it.

agree.gif BING BING BING... we have a winner!
McMark
agree.gif with Aaron.
ejm
Common problem... check the MSD troubleshooting info
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.