Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this shift rod bent?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gudhjem
While pulling my shift rod to replace the 3 shift bushings and cone screws, I noticed the crown bushing in back was very loose inside its housing. The hole is sets into is a nice oval. I suppose I'lll go the JB Weld route, and see how that works.

The shift rod itself also looks to be worn where it slides through the crown bushing (see pic). It also looks like it might be bent, which could explain all the wear in the crown bushing housing. I know the bar isn't suppossed to be straight, but I would have though that the ends would at least have to sit on the same 2 planes. Mine doesn't look like it does,at least not exactly.

Anyone know if this is how the shift rod is supposed to look, more or less? This is from a '73 2.0 side-shifter.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Gudhjem @ May 1 2007, 02:49 PM) *

I know the bar isn't suppossed to be straight, but I would have though that the ends would at least have to sit on the same 2 planes. Mine doesn't look like it does,at least not exactly.

Anyone know if this is how the shift rod is supposed to look, more or less? This is from a '73 2.0 side-shifter.

They are not in the same plane. The tail end kicks out a little. I asked the same question.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=61676&hl=
John
From what I can see, you r shift rod looks "normal" for a rear sideshift bar.
Tobra
you can only really notice if you put a known good one right beside the suspect one, and even then a subtle bend could give you trouble
Gudhjem
Thanks everyone. Good to know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.