Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: West Coast Ramble Caravan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Borderline
I just got off the phone with Seth (mills914/s) and Ken (kenschipper) and we have set tentative plans to caravan up Hwy 1 to the WCR!! We are going to meet at the Denny's on Ocean St in Santa Cruz and cruise up Hwy 1 to SF on Friday morning. We plan to leave Santa Cruz at 10 am so we can get through SF before the Friday afternoon traffic starts. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Anybody else? The more the merrier!!

Hey Grant, you going? There's an AX on Monday! We'll drive right by Bonny Doon! Your trailer won't slow us down. happy11.gif
kenschipper
Come join us. We plan on driving the fun roads all the way up.

Let's try and meet up with any Bay Area groups say just north of the Golden Gate around 1:00 PM or so.

kenschipper
If any groups are coming up from down south and want to join us for the trip up the coast...post to us here and we will see about meeting up.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenschipper @ May 3 2007, 07:27 PM) *

Let's try and meet up with any Bay Area groups say just north of the Golden Gate around 1:00 PM or so.

great idea. how about strawberry? it's the second exit right after you pass sausalito and there's a big shopping mall with parking lots ...
bye1.gif Andy
mills914/s
This is going to be great. A few 914's in a line on Hwy 1 cant get better than that.Well yeah it could 10 914's in a line would be great. My girlfriend and I are bringing 2 camera's one digital and her nice camera for real pictures. My car should be back on the road this weekend so I have a few weeks to drive it and work out the bugs in the new brakes. Should be none tho Eric did the calipers damm they turned out nice.
Cap'n Krusty
So Cal participants are invited to lunch with the Cap'n on their way north! Gimme a head count and an approximate arrival time and we'll set it up! The Cap'n
Allan
I was planning on trailering my car but, if there is a secure location I could leave my truck and trailer I would love to meet up with everyone and drive the rest of the way.
scrz914
Man, I wish I could join you guys, but that's a busy weekend for me. Maybe I'll make it over to Denny's just to take some pix.
Seth, is your car Marathon Blue? That's my car's original color.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Borderline @ May 3 2007, 08:05 PM) *

Hey Grant, you going? There's an AX on Monday! We'll drive right by Bonny Doon! Your trailer won't slow us down. happy11.gif

Slow you down? I'd be afriad of dropping you with the big V8 when we hit the uphill grades on Hwy 1. biggrin.gif

Won't be able to get away for this one.
mills914/s
QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 4 2007, 10:10 AM) *

Man, I wish I could join you guys, but that's a busy weekend for me. Maybe I'll make it over to Denny's just to take some pix.
Seth, is your car Marathon Blue? That's my car's original color.

Nope the camera was set on a weird setting that day and the pictures turned out like that. Its silver I like the way it looks in the pictures better.. Marathon blue thats cool.
kenschipper
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 4 2007, 09:10 AM) *

I was planning on trailering my car but, if there is a secure location I could leave my truck and trailer I would love to meet up with everyone and drive the rest of the way.

Allen,

You are welcome to leave it here in San Juan Bautista. Would be on street parking but it's a quiet little town.

What day will you be heading up here?
Allan
QUOTE(kenschipper @ May 4 2007, 03:23 PM) *

[Allen,

You are welcome to leave it here in San Juan Bautista. Would be on street parking but it's a quiet little town.

I was hoping to head up Friday and try to be there by the afternoon.
jim_hoyland
I can't drive to the event, so I'm flying in. Any chance of getting a ride from any neaby airport or connection point ?
kenschipper
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 4 2007, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(kenschipper @ May 4 2007, 03:23 PM) *

[Allen,

I was hoping to head up Friday and try to be there by the afternoon.

We will be meeting in Santa Cruz at 10:00 am to head up. That's about 45 minutes from my house. Your welcome to drop the truck and trailer here although you may be able to connect with someone leaving later from the Bay Area. The offer is open either way.
mills914/s
This is a Bump. Local Santa Cruz caravan. Got my car back on the ground todayDROVE IT !!!!!!! YES Im happy. Stops great handles great happy. In the morning it goes to D&K for a new clutch and flywheel.
Here is the car new tires/suspension/bushings/brakes. Installed stock sway bar/ had none before.
39 days and counting.......
Seth
Borderline
Looking good! You're making a lot of progress. I, on the other hand, have to pull the tranny and fix an oil leak. Also doing a little work on cleaning up the interior....I'm making my own dash!? and doing some more wheel malingment.

This is going to be great!
mills914/s
Got it back today from D K Porsche/VW ....David rocks. Replaced a few seals in my tranny put in new clutch PP the works. Did not charge an arm or a leg. He is great.
I fully recomend him to anyone who does not have alot of time to do 914 stuff. If your in need of someone good in the Santa Cruz area look him up.
It was like a day and a half (waiting for parts) and it was done. He even took care of some other stuff while he was in there.
I do most of my work but had no time for this one he got it done and Im driving again !!!!!!!!!!
Seth
mills914/s
icon_bump.gif
jimtab
I'm in for this...just call when you get to HMB and I'll be waiting on the Hwy in Pacifica....or we can meet at Pedro beach parking lot for pics....
carreraguy
Me too - see you all at Denny's.
Borderline
It looks like I've found the parakeet singing tunes in my engine compartment and have quieted him down!!! Now, gotta start thinking about the WCR and the caravan up!

Anyone else wanna join us on the drive up the coast?

We'll be leaving Santa Cruz at 10;00 and pick up Jim in Pacifica on the way up.

icon_bump.gif
jimtab
You've got a PM, I'll be ready when you get here, I can meet you at the beach or you can come up the hill....whatever you'd like....I'm like 2 minutes off Hwy 1. Jim
carreraguy
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 11 2007, 09:06 AM) *

It looks like I've found the parakeet singing tunes in my engine compartment and have quieted him down!!! Now, gotta start thinking about the WCR and the caravan up!

Anyone else wanna join us on the drive up the coast?

We'll be leaving Santa Cruz at 10;00 and pick up Jim in Pacifica on the way up.

icon_bump.gif

Hey Bill - you've got a PM.
LarryR
If you have a spot where you are going to meet up with N. Bay people... and if 911's are permitted.. I would love to meet up with you guys. I live in the E. Bay near Berkeley. I could go over to Pacifica or where ever the SF area meeting place would be.

If there is no meeting point then hope to see you all there.
Elliot Cannon
I'll be coming up from So. Cal. I don't imagine getting to the bay area before around 2 or 3:00 in the afternoon. If you all have a specific time and place in mind, let me know and I'll try to make it. I might even come up Thursday and stay with my Sister in Lafayette.
Cheers, Elliot
Borderline
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 3 2007, 08:37 PM) *

great idea. how about strawberry? it's the second exit right after you pass sausalito and there's a big shopping mall with parking lots ...
bye1.gif Andy

Andy's suggestion sounds good to me. I don't know the area. Can anyone supply more details?? I didn't see a "Strawberry" exit on the map. I would like to avoid the Friday pm traffic, but stopping meeting North of the bridge around 1:00 sounds good. Maybe we can grab some lunch. Who knows the area?

Jim:
The easiest way would be to give you a call as we approach Pacifica and meet on Hwy 1. Not sure how many there will be driving up from Santa Cruz. Haven't heard back from Ken or Seth yet.
LarryR
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 11 2007, 10:28 PM) *

I'll be coming up from So. Cal. I don't imagine getting to the bay area before around 2 or 3:00 in the afternoon. If you all have a specific time and place in mind, let me know and I'll try to make it. I might even come up Thursday and stay with my Sister in Lafayette.
Cheers, Elliot

Stay in Lafayette and we can start our own caravan ... I am in Moraga right next door smile.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 11 2007, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 3 2007, 08:37 PM) *

bye1.gif Andy

Andy's suggestion sounds good to me. I don't know the area. Can anyone supply more details?? I didn't see a "Strawberry" exit on the map. I would like to avoid the Friday pm traffic, but stopping meeting North of the bridge around 1:00 sounds good. Maybe we can grab some lunch. Who knows the area?

Jim:
The easiest way would be to give you a call as we approach Pacifica and meet on Hwy 1. Not sure how many there will be driving up from Santa Cruz. Haven't heard back from Ken or Seth yet.

Not to familiar with Strawberry but I could figure it out if you have a time.

SirAndy
for those taking 101 and plan on going over the golden gate bridge, here's a map of a possible meeting place ...

just north of the golden gate bridge, stay on 101 and go through the tunnel and past Sausalito.

after the last Sausalito exit, there will be another (going to the coast) and then a small bridge over a part of the bay and then there's a exit right after that bridge.
i'm not sure the exit is actually called "Strawberry", but the area it leads to is.
you take that exit and the street runs parallel to 101 for about 2 stoplights, then there's a mall area with plenty of parking and a starbucks and safeway.

there's even a porsche dealership!
http://sonnenporsche1-px.rtrk.com/
their address says Mill Valley, but they are in fact in strawberry ...

anyways, just an idea.
bye1.gif Andy

PS: if you're going up 880/80 (East Bay) to avoid going through the city, you can still get to the meeting point easily.
simply go past berkeley on 80, then take 580 over the richmond bridge towards 101.
take the mill valley exit, pass san quentin prison and get on 101 *south*.
go about 5 miles and take the mill valley exit, but turn left and back over 101 instead of heading into mill valley.
take a right at the light and you'll be on the same road going parallel to 101.
you'll pass sonnen porsche and the mall will be to your left ...
Borderline
Thanks Andy!

Unless anyone else has a better meeting place, we'll meet at Strawberry Mall as shown in the above map at 1:00 Friday afternoon. driving.gif chowtime.gif piratenanner.gif
carreraguy
Heres the link to the Starbucks at Strawberry Village.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=16
Borderline
Hey, that looks great! Plenty of parking and probably a good selection of food!

Thanks Tom!
2-OH!
If you meet at 1:00, how long will ya be there...

I'm drivin' up from the undesireable "So Cal", but I don't know if I can make it by 1:00...If I'm too late, I'll just go on to the 2 tree...

2-OH!

Borderline
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Jun 12 2007, 03:36 PM) *

If you meet at 1:00, how long will ya be there...

I'm drivin' up from the undesireable "So Cal", but I don't know if I can make it by 1:00...If I'm too late, I'll just go on to the 2 tree...

2-OH!

It's difficult to say how long we'll be there. We're gonna need to eat! My goal is to miss the SF Friday afternoon traffic.

PM me with your cell # and I will add it to my collection and will then re-distribute all the numbers to the caravan.
Demick
I'll most likely be meeting up with you guys at Strawberry as well.

Demick
Allan
What's the best way to get to Rohnert Park from the south?

I'll be taking 5 most of the way but I know there about 3 options once you get to about the 580.

I'll be leaving Bakersfield about 5 or 6 a.m. Friday and want to miss as much traffis as possible.
Demick
Allan

I'd say 5 north to 580 West, to 101 North to Rohnert Park

When you are on 580 West, you will have a short stint on 80 East (going North), but just follow the signs for 580 West across the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge to 101 North.

Demick
Allan
What's the late morning traffic like around there?
Demick
Shouldn't be bad. As long as you get through and onto 101 North of S.F. by 2:00 or so, you should have no problems.
Allan
QUOTE(Demick @ Jun 12 2007, 06:10 PM) *

As long as you get through and onto 101 North of S.F. by 2:00 or so, you should have no problems.

I hope to be in the Doubletree parking lot no later than noon. rocking nana.gif

Thanks for the info.
Demick
Just don't try and navigate any of the Bay Area much before about 10am or you will hit the morning traffic. Your window is from about 10am-2pm.
Krieger
I unfortunately do this drive about 6 days a month. Fridays can be crudy going N. I live in Santa Rosa and try to get out of Sausalito by 2:30. I don't know if y'all want details, but expect a minimum no traffic time of 50 minutes to 1:30 sometimes worse. Today it took me 1:20 to Santa Rosa, so -10 minutes I left Sausalito at 3:00. Here are the main backs ups: Fom greenbrae to San Rafael, because (I always speculate why in traffic) a very large hill -equivolent to the continental divide in those idiot's in front of me minds. When Novato goes from 2 to 3 lanes then creeps along for about 8 miles (in the middle of nowhere). Then the Petaluma Continental Divide. This one is scary because it turns at the top. Best of luck, I will be doing this too on my way home in the fleet car.

SirAndy
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 12 2007, 01:27 PM) *

Heres the link to the Starbucks at Strawberry Village.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=16

that's funny ... that map is WRONG !!! (unless they moved it in the last month)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Demick @ Jun 12 2007, 05:31 PM) *

I'd say 5 north to 580 West, to 101 North to Rohnert Park

When you are on 580 West, you will have a short stint on 80 East (going North), but just follow the signs for 580 West across the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge to 101 North.

agree.gif the least populated parking lot freeway that time of the day ...

biggrin.gif Andy
jimtab
Forget Starfucks...there's an in and out in that parking lot...lunch...animal style....
SirAndy
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jun 12 2007, 10:18 PM) *

Forget Starfucks...there's an in and out in that parking lot...lunch...animal style....

yepp, it's about 100 yards from the starbucks ...

http://www.in-n-out.com/location_details.asp?id=141

chowtime.gif Andy
gotxqss
this event is infact this friday? 6/15?????????????

if so ill be in town. im flying in from las vegas to hang with a few buddies in santa cruz so ill be able to swing by meet some people..

anyone got any parts they wanna sell that could bring them to santa cruz for the meet that i might wanna buy? makes it easy

wheels
early nice bumpers
cool accessories
any suspension stuff?

if ya do send me an email with a phone number and maybe we can work something out..

email is danny@crabbroker.com
carreraguy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2007, 01:16 AM) *

QUOTE(jimtab @ Jun 12 2007, 10:18 PM) *

yepp, it's about 100 yards from the starbucks ...

http://www.in-n-out.com/location_details.asp?id=141

chowtime.gif Andy

Definitely works for me! I only google-mapped Starbucks because someone mentioned it was in the shopping center - no way I'd eat lunch there! biggrin.gif
My son got Friday off so it looks like he'll be following us on his Ducati!
Later,
Borderline
QUOTE(gotxqss @ Jun 13 2007, 05:53 PM) *

this event is infact this friday? 6/15?????????????

if so ill be in town. im flying in from las vegas to hang with a few buddies in santa cruz so ill be able to swing by meet some people..

anyone got any parts they wanna sell that could bring them to santa cruz for the meet that i might wanna buy? makes it easy

wheels
early nice bumpers
cool accessories
any suspension stuff?

if ya do send me an email with a phone number and maybe we can work something out..

email is danny@crabbroker.com

Danny, we'll be at the Denny's on Ocean for only a little while before we head up the coast to meet with the other teeners in Rohnert Park. We hope to leave the Denny's by 10:00 am. Hope to see you there.

Bill
gotxqss
nice i will be there forsure!!!!!!!!

just picked up a parts car.. 76 2.0 with clean new dual webers/rear porsche reflector/wide fuchs and the stuff to make a 5lug/and some other cool stuff i had planned to upgrade all in one car.. has a weird slantnose(not chalon kit) looks custom but really rustfree.. 600bux!!!! score..

see ya guys friday!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.