Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan hub removal problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitey
I need to pull my fan hub (the part behind the fan with 3 bolts) to install a new seal. I used a puller but it doesn't want to come off. My flywheel is removed and it seems to pull the crank forward but won't release. Should I heat the hub or what? Is this part normally this hard to remove?

Thanks for the help, Dave
So.Cal.914
I use a puller but I have heard of people useing three long bolts on the hub, use

a piece of metal below the bolt ,one at a time and like 1/4 turn on each bolt in

a circular pattern until it pops off.
scruz914
Click to view attachment

Did you use a harmonic balance puller? If not, the K-D Tools 2286 is inexpensive and available at your FLAPS. I struggled with bolts and a bar and a regular gear puller. My fan hub popped right off with the harmonic balance puller.

-Jeff

Dave_Darling
It's easy to do without any special tools.

All you need is a large flat piece of metal. Or three. I used fender washers. Install the fan mounting bolts into the fan hub (without the fan!), and run them in until they hold your large flat piece of metal between them and the case. One behind each bolt. Then turn them all about 1/4 or maybe 1/2 turn at a time. Pulls the hub right off, no muss and no fuss.

--DD
Allan
Be ready to duck when it does let go. When I pulled mine it scared the crap outta me.
Dave_Darling
Mine didn't go flying, but boy did that Woodruff key bounce around! You might want to wrap a rag around the hub, and possibly put a catch pan under the front of the engine. Would'a saved me 20 minutes worth of looking for that stupid little half-moon piece of metal...

--DD
craig downs
Good point. When I'm looking for something like that all bent over my wife comes up
and ask "what are you looking for. I say nothing you wouldn't know what it is to hard
to explain. What are you looking for then I tell her and then she says "is that it right
there pointing right at it. Yep thats it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.