Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Oil leak.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Borderline
After working all winter on the car I've finally got it running. I've put new seals on the axle shafts and replaced the o-ring on the speedo cable and now the trans has developed a new leak that appears to be coming from the input shaft. My question is: will the oil coming out of the input shaft seal make its way to the clutch and cause problems? It's a fair sized leak...leaves a little puddle on the garage floor.

I just don't have the mindset to deal with this now. I want to drive the fuchin thing. The work-time to drive-time ratio is way to high and the fun factor too low.

How hard is it to replace the input shaft seal?

Thanks. headbang.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Borderline @ May 5 2007, 08:43 AM) *

After working all winter on the car I've finally got it running. I've put new seals on the axle shafts and replaced the o-ring on the speedo cable and now the trans has developed a new leak that appears to be coming from the input shaft. My question is: will the oil coming out of the input shaft seal make its way to the clutch and cause problems? It's a fair sized leak...leaves a little puddle on the garage floor.

I just don't have the mindset to deal with this now. I want to drive the fuchin thing. The work-time to drive-time ratio is way to high and the fun factor too low.

How hard is it to replace the input shaft seal?

Thanks. headbang.gif

bottom line, yes it will. Easy to replace, just remove the transmission
Martin Baker
I had the same thing happen to me after a clutch install, the seal appeared fine, and mine did not leave a puddle, just seeping and it took it about a month, then it started slipping on spirited up hill climbs under power, so I took it apart to find that this seal had failed. I had heard of this issue before, but did not think it would happen. I would also look closely at your disc. Make sure it didn't get gear lube saturated in the friction surface. If so, toss it, and replace. Piece of mind is a wonderfull thing. I think the seal is like $3.00 dollars, and I will never do another clutch without changing this seal.
Borderline
That's not the answer I was looking for headbang.gif ...Time to drop the engine ....again.

Thanks guys!
Dr Evil
You dont have to drop the engine to remove the tranny. I can take a tranny off and on in 1hr or less leving th engine in the car. You can do it. Changing the seal is not too hard. We can help.
Tobra
If I got gear oil in there and was going to take it apart, I would replace the friction surface anyway, clutch discs aren't that much are they?

I would also at the very least have a machinist who knows his businss check out the flywheel. Seems to me if it slipping noticeably, it is probably gettin hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.