Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can someone point me to..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
the pelican article on how to adjust my shifter? I cant seem to find it on thier website or I'm just not looking in the right spot.

I have tried the hayes manual way with no success....some parts of my linkage just dont look right but I thought I'd try one more time.
So.Cal.914
All you ever wanted to know:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm (favorites)
biosurfer1
thanks socal...i've been there, but I cant find the write up on that page.

I thought there was a step by step of how to adjust it...I'll keep looking
So.Cal.914
Ok which car is it, the 72 or 74, tail shift or side shift?

Whats the problem? Whats it doing? Or not doing?
biosurfer1
its a side shift.

its not doing anything correctly:) when I try to adjust it using the haynes way, it seems like its going well but when i tighten the shifter to the rod, its hard to find any gears and the ones I do are hard to put into gear, not even close to working.
Tobra
Brett, when you install it, if the shifter rod is pushed too far forward, or not far enough it will throw you off. At the part in the car where the little clampy thing grabs it.

Got my head almost above water so should be able to drive over and we can look at mine, look at yours and figure it out. Hope the new job is working out well.
KaptKaos
Here is how I did mine (1):

Loosen the big bolt at the base of the shifter that tightens to the shift rod. The shifter should move easily on the rod.

Go to the back of the car and put the tranny into second gear (mid way up/down with the ball cup being pushed towards the rear of the car).

Go back into the car and gently position the shifter to about where you would expect second gear to be.

Tighten down the bolt at the base of the shifter.

Get someone that can see the three up/down levels of the shifter in back and run through the gears. Have them tell you where the selector is. This way you can see if you can get into all of your gears.

Wash/Rinse/Repeat until you get it where you want it. Remember that the splines on the shift rod can really impact R1 and 45 so take your time if you decide to rotate the rod.

Good luck.

(1) Method a translation from Aaron Cox over a cell phone about a year and a half ago when I did my bushings. YMMV biggrin.gif
rigglet
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ May 9 2007, 02:44 AM) *

Loosen the big bolt at the base of the shifter that tightens to the shift rod. The shifter should move easily on the rod.

Go to the back of the car and put the tranny into second gear (mid way up/down with the ball cup being pushed towards the rear of the car).

Go back into the car and gently position the shifter to about where you would expect second gear to be.

Get someone that can see the three up/down levels of the shifter in back and run through the gears. Have them tell you where the selector is. This way you can see if you can get into all of your gears.

Wash/Rinse/Repeat until you get it where you want it. Remember that the splines on the shift rod can really impact R1 and 45 so take your time if you decide to rotate the rod.

Good luck.

(1) Method a translation from Aaron Cox over a cell phone about a year and a half ago when I did my bushings. YMMV biggrin.gif

Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone have some similar instructions for adjusting/fine tuning a tail shift?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ May 8 2007, 11:44 PM) *

Good luck.

hahah... and make sure your cone screws are tight FIRST.

too funny.... tech support mobile LOL
eg914
Brett,

The information you seek is well hidden.

The Pelican article titled "914 Shifting Improvements", in the section titled "Shifter Lever" has adjustment instructions. It is a little over half way through the article, and in the second paragraph of the Shifter Lever section.

See ya
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.