Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found some melted wires in the loom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
Ok the day started out good I decided to clean out the engine compartment while I Have the engine out I got almost all the grease out and decide to shake the wire loom to get the water out from the presure washer. I then take the plastic loom off of the wire to find wires melted together. The wire which melted itself to all the other wires is grey. there is a picture below and then I found another wire which was not hooked up to anything it's BLK/red coming off pin # 13 out of the relay board. Is that the wire which should be running my fuel pump? By the way I'm running carbs so if I remember I need to grd. one of the other pins to make this wire HOT . Is that correct?

Sorry for jumping all over the place I found way to many lil' prob. today.

Thanks,
jbart
bondo
Not sure about which wire is which, but that plastic split loom stuff is NOT stock. Someone has been in there messing around, which may very well be the cause of the meltdown.
JBart
I'm just worried that the wire which melted is melted further through the car. Like I said though I took a ohm meter from the melted wire to the fuse panel and it rang at the 7th fuse from the left but did not ring to ground or to any other fuse . Now I Hope and Pray headbang.gif
Dave_Darling
What are the colors of the wires that melted? I can't make them out very well from the pic... I believe the grey wire powers the license plate light, at least on a 74. What year is your car?

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(JBart @ May 9 2007, 06:47 PM) *

Found some melted wires in the loom, What are they and where do they go???

you got a haynes manual? it's got a wiring diagram ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
JBart
Dave,

The car is a 72' and the wire is solid grey. The other wires look fine it looks like the grey wire just stuck to the other wires.

The other wire i'm trying to figure out is this blk/with red stripe which come off pin #13 from the relay board. It's the wire with the zip tie on it.

Thanks,
jbart
McMark
Looks like fuel pump to me.
JBart
Thank you ,

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the colored wiring dia? I do have a Haynes but it's hard to read the wire colors (or I'm getting old).

Thanks,
jason
McMark
Here:
JBart
Thank You McMark,

I hate to be a PITA but would you be willing to tell me where you purchaced
thoughs Dia. after saving them to my comp. if I zoom in they go blury.

Thanks,
jbart
McMark
I found the images on the net somewhere 4 or 5 years ago. confused24.gif

Click on the picture to see the full size version, then save the image. You're saving the smaller thumbnail version.
JBart
Thank you ,

That worked perfect piratenanner.gif
JeffBowlsby
Black/red could be a coil wire...
SirAndy
QUOTE(JBart @ May 10 2007, 09:52 PM) *

I hate to be a PITA but would you be willing to tell me where you purchaced
thoughs Dia. after saving them to my comp. if I zoom in they go blury.

i got color copies that i bought a couple of years ago for a few bucks.
the color diagram is out of the factory shop manuals, so if you can find someone who has a set of those, go and get some color copies ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
JBart
Thanks Sir Andy,

I'll keep my eyes open for a manual. But I think I found the sorce of my melt down. It looks like the wires going to the trunk light got pinched somewhere or somehow about 8" from the trunk light . The wire was melted almost to the firewall
but why wouldn't the fuse blow ?????

Thanks,
jbart
SirAndy
QUOTE(JBart @ May 14 2007, 08:08 PM) *

The wire was melted almost to the firewall but why wouldn't the fuse blow ?????

because the PO used a fuse with the incorrect amps?
confused24.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.