Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove anodizing from Fuch's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Anyone have a decent method for removing anodizing from rims.

I think I'm just going to polish the lips and have the centers painted to match the car.
So.Cal.914
Needs to be sanded smooth.
Ferg
I've used easy off oven cleaner in the past on anodized bike parts.

Ferg
TravisNeff
I heard oven cleaner will remove anodizing
So.Cal.914
It is an electrochemical process that thickens and toughens the naturally occurring protective oxide. The resulting finish, depending on the process, is the second hardest substance known to man, second only to the diamond. The anodic coating is part of the metal, but has a porous structure which allows secondary infusions, (i.e. organic and inorganic coloring, lubricity aids, etc.)

There is a cheap spray 'anodizing' but real anodizing is not going to come off with

oven cleaner. Sorry not that easy. sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Have them de-anodized... it's cheap.

Any anodizer can do it. Best by far.
Aaron Cox
you sure your fakes are anodized?

none of mine were....
736conver
oven cleaner. Sorry not that easy

BTDT

I heard stories of oven cleaner and so I tried it. Didnt work well at all. Ended up getting them de-anodized by a local company. Didnt cost much if I remember.
iamchappy
Lye
Twystd1
Like the inimitable Aaron said.

Fake Fuchs aren't anodized that I have ever seen. And I think I have owned all 3 brands of fakes at one time or another.

Conversely.... Maybe someone had it done on your wheels. I dunno.

Heres a little trick that Eric taught me. All my friends are into this now. it works very fast and has a very LONG and profound effect on the metal.

The easiest way to remove the anodizing is with the SEAL oil or NAUGA oil.

Same stuff they make window seals out of in Germany or Naugahyde in Russia. It's a shame they have to kill so many Nauhgas and Seals to make the stuff. But what the hell... Our cars come first.

You apply the Seal or Nauhga oil to the metal and let it sit in the sun for 3 days. NO MORE THAN THAT. Then you cover the wheels with some kind of human or animal feces for 1 more day. Feces must be fresh and pliable. Old shit doesn't work as well.
Then you typically start to scrape the dung off with steel wool. DON'T USE GLOVES!!!!
The glove oil will interfere with the Seal or Nauhga oil and leave glove prints on the metal.

Then you bake the wheels in the oven for 3 hours at 450 degrees. And rinse them off with hot water. I suggest using your Jacuzzi as the chlorine and urine helps to remove the baked on feces.

Then polish to a golden hue using baby diapers. Preferably used ones as they leave a better patina...!!!!!

So there you go Allan. And thanks to Eric for teaching me all this stuff.

Cheers and good luck with this new removal process.

Regards,
Aaron Cox.
So.Cal.914
av-943.gif Now I know how...Thanks Aaron.
brant
I've personally strip the anodizing off of all of my 15x7real fuchs.
it will work

oven cleaner will work easier than sand paper.
buy the heavy duty (easy off - yellow can)
Aaron Cox
what a tool..... everyone knows nauga doesnt have an H.......

i call imposter!
IPB Image
Twystd1
Dam... OWNED again...

AAArrrGGGhhhhhh...

C
Aaron Cox
go find my stub pipes....please?
Twystd1
Already sent BJ to do that for ya... Brudder...!!!!

CCC
bigkensteele
I am going to bead blast mine, then paint an clearcoat for the RSR look. They come out more or less frosted, which looks nice. There are a few threads on Pelican that I would find and paste here if I were not lazy.
So.Cal.914
Anodize Remover 16oz #797
Qty: Price: $12.00

Click Image for larger picture.
Shipping: CLICK HERE FOR SHIPPING COST
Mix with warm water to make a solution to strip the anodized coating from aluminum trip. This compound leaves a satin finish that can be buffed to a mirror finish with a soft buff and #739 compound.

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/buffing_compounds2.html

From what I read it removes a thin layer of metal too, as does the lye.
machina
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 14 2007, 05:35 PM) *

Lye

yes, you have to get the old style cleaner that has lye as the active ingredient. most on the shelves are the new safer kind.

i only did some small parts from my bike but that stuff definitely works. I'll bet that bottle of "anodize remover" is just a bottle of lye. just be careful, its nasty stuff.
woobn8r
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 14 2007, 11:43 PM) *

I am going to bead blast mine, then paint an clearcoat for the RSR look. They come out more or less frosted, which looks nice.

agree.gif

I have done several sets of original Fuchs by bead (media) blasting. Does a great job and accepts paint very well....
Gint
I've bead blasted as well. Works great for paint or powder coat. If you plan to polish though, it will leave you with a rough enough finish that requires a fair amount of extra work to polish out.
Aaron Cox
walnut shelling fuchs doesnt leave em rough....
Cano
IF you are planning on polishing them after removing the coating, Eastwood makes a Refinishing kit that comes with buffs and 3 different grits of buffing paste. With the buffs mounted on a drill, the coating comes right off with the roughest grit. I polished my spokes and rims, and painted the recessed areas with Eastwood's aluminium paint. When you are done, the polished areas will look like they have been chromed.
Allan
QUOTE(Cano @ May 16 2007, 06:23 AM) *

IF you are planning on polishing them after removing the coating, Eastwood makes a Refinishing kit that comes with buffs and 3 different grits of buffing paste. With the buffs mounted on a drill, the coating comes right off with the roughest grit. I polished my spokes and rims, and painted the recessed areas with Eastwood's aluminium paint. When you are done, the polished areas will look like they have been chromed.

Do you have a link to the page on the Eastwood site for the kit?

I looked but couldn't find a kit that looked like it would be good for wheels.
Cano
Here you go:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=...temType=PRODUCT

Allan
Excellent. I ordered the kit today.

Thanks...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.