Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nor.Cal.914
I'm looking into doing a V8 conversion this summer and I have some questions before I start. Does anyone know if there is an adapting kit for the 901 to bolt up to a Ford block? If so, who makes one? Let me know please. Thanks
-Chris
orange914
QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ May 15 2007, 09:52 AM) *

I'm looking into doing a V8 conversion this summer and I have some questions before I start. Does anyone know if there is an adapting kit for the 901 to bolt up to a Ford block? If so, who makes one? Let me know please. Thanks
-Chris

which ford engine do you want to install? i myself love the fords, but unfortunately one reason they have lagged behind chevy in hot rod modifications is they dont use a common bell housing pattern. chevy's from 6 cylendars to big blocks share that. i've always thought a SHO 3.0 would be cool in a 914. driving.gif
skline
I agree on the SHO engine, all aluminum 3 liter built by Yamaha/Mercury Marine built to rev. Awesome motor! As for adapters, YES, Kennedy engineering makes them and I have seen ford engines in 914's. Not many, but a few. The problem with most is the distributor is in the front making it a bad match for the 914 engine compartment.
Aaron Cox
ford motors have their dizzy's up front... and they interfere with the front firewall.

when you stick a SBC into the engine bay, you only have to notch the trunck bulkhead to clear the dizzy.....

or you could just go crankfire and EFI tongue.gif

if i were to stick a v8 in mine (never), i would go northstar, or lexus dohc v8's....
Rand
IPB Image
andys
Chris,

Kennedy Eng'g. makes the adapter and clutch/flywheel assembly. You can use either the Rennegade or Meziere remote mount water pump, but with the Ford you'll need to deal with the inlets on the timing chain cover that are integral to it. Also, the distributor is at the fornt of the motor so I'm not sure what kind of fit issues you'll have. The SBF block in the same length as a SBC, but the crank dampener sticks out a bit more.

This swap has been done before, but I'm not sure how the above issues were dealt with. In a poor for-sale photo of an SBF converted 914 I saw a couple of years ago, it appeared that the seller retained the stock water pump and simply cut into the firewall and built a cover (though it looked to extend into the cabin somewhat).

If you look at a late (non MOD) Explorer motor, it has DIS (no distributor), so that may be a possibility. You could run the stock EFI which has a nice stand alone harness to ease the swap.

Andys
skline
Sorry, I just have to do it. smile.gif

jimkelly
man - by law you can do what you want to - but - i have got to say - go sbc and order adaptor kit and cooling system thru renegade and be done with it - or not : )
orange914
i still say 3.0 SHO built by ford and yamaha. you can still find them relitively cheap
Click to view attachment
propricer
Chris / NorCal914 ... like others, I would also recommend SBC over Ford for a variety of reasons - of course, I'm prejudiced since I wrote a book on the SBC type !!!

Why don't you come down to Morgan Hill some weekend and let me take you for a ride in an SBC and we can discuss the advantages / disadvantages - and no, you don't have to buy one of my books !!!

If interested, email me at ed.ducey@gmail.com
BMXerror
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 15 2007, 04:49 PM) *

or not : )

agree.gif
BMXerror
Seriously though, if I were looking for a twin cam, high reving, steal block, V6, I'd have to go with the Mitsubishi 3000gt motor. Shorter stroke than the Ford (76mm to the Ford's 80), good flowing heads, and a bulletproof bottom end. There's guys building turbo versions in excess of 750 WHP, and they're supposedly street cars. Lots of speed equipement for it thanks to a dedicated few.
NO, I doubt anybody makes any adapters for it, so it'd be a lot of work for a little more. I also can't tell you how it would fit, because nobody's ever done it that I know of. It is rather bulky, but I doubt it'd be any more of a problem than an SBC. Action salvage sells rebuilt 3000gt twin cams for $3,200, which is an easy 220 BHP. Just something to throw out there since you seem to still be in the 'engine choosing' stage. I will say, whatever you do, make sure it's somewhat original.
Mark D.
RoninEclipse2G
Subaru, similar size and just slightly heavier than a stock 2.0, 227 hp on a turbo wrx 2.0 renegade has the stuff for the conversion, no "major" cutting. flat design keeps the center of gravity lower, not too torquey on the bottom end to tear up a 901, ~ 30mpg (I'd like to see a V8 get that) Is there a downside? I don't see one
Chuck
agree.gif What Ronin said. In fact, I am working on it myself.
BMXerror
Sorry, So Cal. I thought YOU had mentioned the thing about the SHO motor. After reading again I realize you seem to know what you want. Didn't mean to send the thread off on a tangent. The Ford motor I would use would be the 1999-2001 Mustang Cobra motor. Forged crank and twin cam, but still rather square dimensions. Just a thought. I was actually thinking about doing this conversion, but no money. But I can't help you with who sells what and what fits what because, again, I have no money. Again sorry for the hijack. Good luck man, and let us know how it works.
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.