Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: identifying a crank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
I have a crank that I got w/ the last car I bought. It has been counterweighted. I was wondering how I can identify the stroke and the jounal size?
Jake Raby
Got any pics?? Thats all I need most of the time!
ws91420
not at this time. It is at my mom's house right now along w/ the car. It came with rods as well.
Dave_Darling
How about measuring them? OK, measuring the stroke requires a little bit of thought, but the journal sizes? Just measure!

For the stroke: Set the crank flat on a table. Put a straight-edge parallel to the crank--measure the distance to the two "near" rod journals and make sure those two numbers are the same. Then measure the distance to the near side of the "far" throws, and re-check the measurement to the near side of the "near" throws. The difference (far - near) in millimeters is the stroke.

--DD
ws91420
Got pics of the crank and rods. The crank has been counterweighted.
craig downs
Looks like a stock 2 liter 71mm stroke. Stock 2 liter journals but you have to measure the journals to see if they have been ground. Or if it has been ground they usually stamp the size on the crank. But the best way is to measure it
MrKona
That looks like a 2.0L rod. 1.7s and 1.8s have a balancing pad on the small end.
sean_v8_914
typical to see a .010-.010 crank when they have been welded up
Measure the journals. a loc al machine shop would probably measure it for free if you dont have the mic
ws91420
bearings included w/ it .25mm rod and mains
Cap'n Krusty
Give us the part number of the rod bearings. 2 litre RBs start with "039", 1.7/1.8 start with "021". The Cap'n
ws91420
200 227 610 VW
sean_v8_914
.25mm is 0.010 inches undersized
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I thought " The Cap'n" was the only Crank around here!!

Dave slap.gif
ws91420
Bump for Jake tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.