Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI retrofit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JmuRiz
From looking at Jake and David Parsons' projects I wish I knew how to rig one of these systems up, I'd have the 914 and my 280C running on SDS FI. Alas I know nada about such systems...maybe someday.

Hmmmm, a turbo 280C sure would be cool....
ottox914
Its not that hard, read things over 100 times, know it like the back of your hand, then start ripping and re-doing. If you've done it 100 times over in your mind, it'll go much better in the real world. And then you'll STILL find better ways to do some parts of the project once you get your hands dirty.
Jake Raby
Looks like an EFI workshop is in order, or perhaps a video....

Can do!
blitZ
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 28 2007, 02:33 PM) *

Looks like an EFI workshop is in order, or perhaps a video....

Can do!

That would be great. This is something I would like to do, but reading these posts and the MS/SDS installation instructions it's still a little blurry.
ottox914
Whats out of focus for you?
Jake Raby
This sytatement from SDS' web page is perfect... I love these guys because they hate bullshit as much as I do, and they are up front!

Should I Buy This System?

While we believe that our system is the simplest on the market to install and program, it is still beyond some people's capabilities. This is not a magic bullet that will solve all of your problems without any work. Have realistic expectations and goals for your project. We get many people contacting us saying that they intend to have a streetable 10 second car that gets great fuel economy and idles like a watch. This probably will not happen in reality.

"Evaluate your skills and knowledge. Installation of the E and F systems in particular, involve some custom fabrication to install the crank trigger system. Do you have the tools and knowledge to successfully complete this aspect? After installation, you must program the system properly. Even though we supply very complete instruction manuals, if you have no idea about the concepts of rich and lean, basic EFI theory or ignition timing requirements then you will probably not be able to program the system properly. We suggest that you explore our Tech Page and Manuals online thoroughly to gain as much understanding of basic theory and the system as possible before you decide to buy. If things seem way over your head after this, our system may not be for you. You will need patience and understanding to be successful with our system. There is a learning curve with all systems, including SDS. Be prepared to spend some time understanding the various parameters and what effect they have. We will not BS you and tell you that SDS is the best system for EVERY application. It isn't. You need to get all the facts and decide for yourself."

Read more here
http://www.sdsefi.com/adv.htm

ottox914
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Nov 28 2007, 11:16 AM) *

Its not that hard, read things over 100 times, know it like the back of your hand, then start ripping and re-doing. If you've done it 100 times over in your mind, it'll go much better in the real world. And then you'll STILL find better ways to do some parts of the project once you get your hands dirty.

I can't believe I just quoted myself... but its true, read it, learn it, live it, love it, then DO IT!

This CAN be done by the average shade tree mechanic, but you need to be willing to invest the time to learn how and why things work the way they do. You don't need to understand the programming of how the SDS system crunches the input signals to determine how much fuel to squirt, but you DO need to have a feel and understanding of whats going on with your motor, and how the changes you make will affect it.

I'm not the most computer literate person on the planet, and I have learned when someone says "its plug and play, its just that easy!" it won't be.

The SDS guys hide nothing, make only promises they can keep, and make things as easy as they can short of doing it all for you. Your success or failure is up to you.
blitZ
I know my current Djet injectors are triggered by the distributor FI trigger points. What triggers the SDS injectors to fire?
Jake Raby
SDS uses signal from the negative side of the coil to batch fire the injectors in the EM4D systems that use a dizzy.

All my turnkey engines use the 4F systems with direct ignition, this system uses magnetic signal from the crank to batch fire the injectors...
Ray Warren
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Nov 29 2007, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Nov 28 2007, 11:16 AM) *

I can't believe I just quoted myself... but its true, read it, learn it, live it, love it, then DO IT!

This CAN be done by the average shade tree mechanic, but you need to be willing to invest the time to learn how and why things work the way they do. You don't need to understand the programming of how the SDS system crunches the input signals to determine how much fuel to squirt, but you DO need to have a feel and understanding of whats going on with your motor, and how the changes you make will affect it.

I'm not the most computer literate person on the planet, and I have learned when someone says "its plug and play, its just that easy!" it won't be.

The SDS guys hide nothing, make only promises they can keep, and make things as easy as they can short of doing it all for you. Your success or failure is up to you.

This pretty much describes me and what I did.
I installed one (fuel only) about 2 years ago. Car starts, runs and drives great.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.