Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hose adapters needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
So yesterday I was all set to complete my conversino from mid-mounted radiator to front mounted radiator. After getting the hose in place I discovered that I had made a stupid mistake. While the radiator uses 1 1/4 inch hose, the engine uses 1 1/2 inch hose. Being that it was Sunday the only option I had was Home Depot. They had nothing useful. So now I'm trying to find a couple of reducers. Of the several radiator shops I called near me, I found that one has a "bucket full of adapters." I'm going to check that out at lunch time but would like a backup plan if that fails.

Any ideas? time is of the essence here, as I need to get the system filled bled, tested and proven this week.

-Tony
bondo
What about mcmaster part number 45605K726?
nick mironov
I think what you want is on page 252 of the McMaster Carr catalog - Easy-Fit Hose Fittings (part number 5363K54 - or similar). That is what I uesd for my application. See attachment 252 below - this is a pdf of page 252 of th catalog.

Nick

TonyAKAVW
Looks like none of those come in the right sizes. Bondo: that part number _could_ be used with modifcation I suppose......

-Tony
andys
Tony,

Don't know if this is what you need, but Summit has this: # SUM-390124-R

Andys
dlo914
OT: But thought this might come in handy. Tony i remembered when we pulled the 5 lug suspension off the silver tub that one side of the rear suspension was missing the e-brake. IIRC just this past week when i went to the Pick-A-Part in El Monte there was an early model 911 that still had the rear suspension w/ the inner rotor e-brake. Other than that everything else on the car was stripped. Dunno if you ever found a replacement, but just thought this might help if you're still looking for one. smile.gif Now back to your regular thread topic.
notbobvilla
Hopefully this helps..............

Ren'e

First try adding pics..... unsure.gif

Opps Mfg by Dayco, any FLAPS around 6 bucks.
GS Guy
Tony,
I've also been looking for said hose adapters. I know your build is sort of "non-Renegade" oriented, but I think they're likely the best bet for the adapters. I haven't found anything else out there that isn't some sort of iron-pipe hardware store kludge.
I think the Renegade adapters are $30 for the pair?

I'd still like to find a reducer for the upper hose connection that has a fitting in the middle for an air purge similar to the aftermarket in-line temperature sending unit adapters.
Jeff
TonyAKAVW
Well, I called Renegade and thy don't have the size I need...

Those Dayco parts seem to be good only for making a smaller port work with larger hose. I have 1.25 inch hose that needs to connect to 1.5 inch ports on the engine.

Until I can turn down some proper adapters on a lathe I'm thinking of doing as in the figure below. I figure that the friction of rubber against rubber ought to hold the hose, not to mention that the 1.5 inch hose will have to stretch to fit over the 1.25 inch hose.

Anyone think this will work?

-TOny
GS Guy
I think that would seal - but nothing keeping it from blowing apart?

If there's any chance you can get some time on a lathe - I think there's a McMaster Carr part that could be modified to work? Check out PN: 5363K24. It's an aluminum hose fitting, 1-1/4 hose to 1-1/4 NPT. According to my Pipe thread diagrams that 1-1/4NPT measures a little over 1.5" diameter at the small end. I think you could turn off the NPT taper and threads - making the threaded end smooth with a small lip on the end for hose retention? If done carefully I think you could even grinf off most of the threads on a belt sander - just need a smooth portion for the hose to seal against. For about $8 seems worth a try... idea.gif

Sounds like the radiator shop "bucket of adapters" didn't pan out?

Also a number of inline hose connectors and gauge sensor adapters available from Pegasus - get a 1.25-1.25 and use the Dayco part to step up to 1.5?
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.as...egoryID=COOLING

Jeff

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ May 22 2007, 10:49 PM) *

Those Dayco parts seem to be good only for making a smaller port work with larger hose. I have 1.25 inch hose that needs to connect to 1.5 inch ports on the engine.

Until I can turn down some proper adapters on a lathe I'm thinking of doing as in the figure below. I figure that the friction of rubber against rubber ought to hold the hose, not to mention that the 1.5 inch hose will have to stretch to fit over the 1.25 inch hose.

-TOny

GS Guy
Or better yet - use the Pegasus silicone hose reducer to get you from 1.5 to 1.25 and than a straight 1.25 connector? Not cheap, but a permanent solution.
sakitume
Tony. Have you tried the folks at JagsThatRun (Stealth Conversions)? Check this page out:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DAT...Splice-Kit.html

You'll see that they sell a "reducer bushing" that lets you go from 1.5 to 1.25 like you're intending to do. Hmmm....the bushing seems to function in a similar manner as what you're doing with the doubled up hoses.

Cheers,
Donovan
Phoenix-MN
Check out NAPA they have a very large selection

http://www.napabeltshose.com/downloads/fil...UIDE_FORWEB.pdf

Look at the list ordered by inside diameters
fiid
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ May 22 2007, 07:49 PM) *

-TOny

NO! You need a lip on both ends of whatever is on there. Ask me how I know smile.gif

I used copper fittings with the right OD from home depot. Then I took a brass halfround and made a ring and soldered it onto the end of the copper.

I made it to the WCC in Portland and back again without the lips on the fittings. Then I got a triple-A call the next time I drove it. biggrin.gif
r_towle
How about the correct sized muffler pipe adapter.
the little 4 inch ones that go from one size pipe to another.
Get on that fits inside both, slide them on all the way and apply a screw clamp. You wont be able to see it.

Rich
TonyAKAVW
The muffler adapter might work. There's a muffler shop near where I live. I might go by there at lunch tomorrow and see what they can do. I just don't know if I can trust them to expand tubing the 1.5 inch outer diameter, and if they even have 1.25 inch outer diameter tubing.

Fiid: I know of your barb-less woes and thats why I'm trying to do the right thing here. I'm just not finding a way out of this that doesn't involve waiting for soemthing to be shipped here.

My next option is to pick up some aluminum tomorrow at lunch and try to find some time on a lathe to turn some parts out. I have a tiny Sherline lathe at home that _might_ work if I could get 1.5 inch thick walled aluminum pipe. 0.175 inch wall thickness if i want 50 mil thick walls for the smaller end. That might work. hmm.

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
Okay, final solution figured out.

I called M&K Metals (my local hobbyist friendly metal supplier) and for $10 I'm getting a foot of 1.5 inch O.D. 1/4 inch wall aluminum tube.

Andrew (phantom914), is lending me his lathe and bandsaw to make these pieces. So hopefully tonight I'll have the adapters done. Anyone else in desperate need for adapters of this size? I should have plenty of leftover material.

They will be made as in the diagram below... the 1.5 inch side will be held on by machining a shallow recess in the alumium. Machining out a barb would require a thicker piece, and the next size up is 1.75 inch, which might not hae a thick enoguh wall for a 1.25 inch side. And I really don't want to hog out a solid bar of aluminum. If this recess doesn't hold the hose on, then I'll get a bead of weld put at the end, and machine as required.

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
DONE.

Also made a fitting for the overflow tank/reservoir.
GS Guy
Nice work Tony! Those should work out great.

Jeff
RoninEclipse2G
very nice!
bondo
Sweet! It's too bad that most of them will be hidden. Have you considered clear hose? biggrin.gif
GS Guy
So how'd it cool Tony??? You must have gotten some seat time in this long weekend!! flag.gif

Jeff
TonyAKAVW
Actually, we ended up going to the mountains for the weekend, but I did get one good run in before leaving. It seems to be doing the job, but when I rev the engine there is a slight delay, the temp goes up briefly and then back down just as quickly. I'm not sure if that is good bad or neither, but its sometihng I need to look into. I'll be driving it this week, and probably bleed the system. No leaks as of yet!

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.