Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaving around 2 tommorow to get my Six!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so the day is just about here! Leaving from work tommorow around 2. As far as making my car secure on the trailer. Where are the best spots to chain without doing any damage. The aluminum car trailer I have has chains on all 4 corners. I've used a dolly most before which has the straps over the tires. This being a little different just don't want to screw anything up.

On a different note I will be heading to Gilroy to pick up my car. Driving most the way friday night. GOing to get a room somewhere off I5 friday night. Hopefully pick my car up around 9-10 on Saturday. I'd be up for a round of Golf on Saturday if someone on the I5 corridor wants to play. I'd also be up for meeting for some grub somewhere. I'll be stopping at willow springs on the way back north Saturday. Couple 914 guys racing this weekend there. Anyway fi anyone want to give me a shout my Cell is 541-510-0086. Thanks for all the helps guys & I'll post better pics asap. -Jamie
GWN7
Get straps and go thru the wheels. This holds the car in place and allows the body to bounce on the suspension.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(GWN7 @ May 24 2007, 08:16 PM) *

Get straps and go thru the wheels. This holds the car in place and allows the body to bounce on the suspension.

agree.gif

That is what I do.

ebay link to style I have STRAP
jimtab
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 24 2007, 08:56 PM) *

QUOTE(GWN7 @ May 24 2007, 08:16 PM) *

agree.gif

That is what I do.

ebay link to style I have STRAP

Better listen to em...they're pre-med, or pre-law...oh hell it's the same thing..... blink.gif
JRust
That looks like the way to go. Thanks! I'm assuming this will not cause a problem withthe wheels? Put to much pressure in one spot? Looks like quite a few have done it this way so it must be fine. Where is the best place to get them? What size is best? 2" wide with a ratchet?
scrz914
I'd be up for a round of Golf on Saturday

Darn, if only I hadn't thrown my back out working on a...914. I love golf. I heard there's some decent courses in Gilroy.
GWN7
QUOTE(JRust @ May 24 2007, 09:30 PM) *

That looks like the way to go. Thanks! I'm assuming this will not cause a problem withthe wheels? Put to much pressure in one spot? Looks like quite a few have done it this way so it must be fine. Where is the best place to get them? What size is best? 2" wide with a ratchet?

I have 2" ones with the rachet....the straps streach after a mile or so and the car settles in......you should stop and re-tighten them after a few blocks. Hence why to get the rachet.

As where to get them, I bought mine at Princess Auto (a Harbour Freight type store up here) try a like store there

2" webbing is about 12,000 lbs break strength...so 4 (one for each wheel) is plenty for your car.

With mine, I set it up with chains on one end of the rachet which goes to the mounting rings on the trailer deck....this way I can shorten that end for other cars.....then I have both long straps and wheel straps. Wheel straps go over the tires and wrap them. The long straps go thru the wheels or on solid wheels I can go thru to the frame. I also have a 2000 lb winch on the trailer for cars that don't run and I use it's cable as a safety strap.
JRust
So here is an update! GOt my six this morning. Blew 2 tires on the trailer just south of Willow. Local guy hooked me up with 3 tires & a rim just so I would have another spare. Back on the road in a few. I'll post pics later. Stopping at Willow to see Brad & a few 914's that are racing there. Talk to you all later
JRust
WAy cool here is a brief update on my car.

1. Carrera front suspension with 3.5" 944 front big brakes (Adjustable Koni's)
2. REar is done right with early 911hubs or 916 hubs. The axels have been upgraded to the thicker 911 axles.
3. Real Fuch's 6 in front 7 in back & polished pretty nice
4. The PMO carbs are dirty but will clean up well with some media blasting (40"?)
5. It has a Rich Johnson front motor mount
6. Motor is a 2.7 or 3.0 (I'll get the number off the block tommorow)
7. TRansmision may have a limited slip (I'll know tommorow when I unload it at home)
8. The headers made it thru the fire just fine along with the muffler
9. Has steel braded brake lines (front good, back not so much)
10. Half the engine tin was fiberglass & it makes the engine look worse than it really is!

I am flippin stoked! I'll post better pics when I get home tommorow or monday! aktion035.gif
Justinp71
Sounds great, it's always good when you take a chance and get good results. clap56.gif
Dr Evil
Now, ya gonna tell us what ya paid? idea.gif I mean, seem like ya got some great stuff smile.gif
burton73
Looks like you did great. I got a 1978 911SC from a salvage yard in 1982 that had an engine fire. The Engine was fine but the car was a lot of work for me to get it back on the road. So much to clean. It looked like yours as far as the burned interior.

What ever you do not blast you crabs. The media will get in and block the small air passages and you may never get it out. (I got this info from a top carb rebuild). You need to take your time with them soaking in carb cleaner. I use an ammo can. Just the right size for Webbers so it should work for you. Takes 1.25 gallon I blasted the paint out of the ammo can first

The PMO are worth a couple of thousand plus if you nurse them back.

You are feeling so good!!

Bob
JRust
Allright Dr Evil I paid a whopping $1100 piratenanner.gif ! I didn't want to say anything before I had the title in hand & picked it up. TO say I am thrilled would be an understatment! I started to pull a few things. The rear bumper is in sweet shape. Might be for sale as the one on my 74 is nice too. The muffler is kind of a strange one. Looks kinda like a stock 2.0-4 muffler. Except that it has dual tips on it. It's been a while since I have seen a Triad mufler. That is what i reminds me of. I'm hoping to pull the motor/tranny tommorow. I'll get some good pics then. I can't seem to get my pics to take. Acts like it is loading then just wipes it out like I didn't do anything. Oh the Euro tailights are in excellent shape too. Overall smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
Good job man thumb3d.gif

Your enthusiasm infected me and I just bough a set fo Weber 40IDAs off of ebay. Maybe I will get a good deal too biggrin.gif
skline
Your pics are too big which is why they wont load, resize them below 250k and it will take one at a time, I usually resize mine to around 50 to 60k and I can load multiples. So get them resized and show us some pics!! thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
boxstr
Jamies new car.
boxstr
More...
boxstr
bottom side..
Dr Evil
Heck, it even looks like the oil lines may still be good.
Coy
Jamie,

Is this going into that silver car you were planning to put the 2.0 into? Either way, when you get ready to install, the offer for limited help (limited in the sense that I don't know sh!t) still stands. From what little I do know, it seems like you made a great deal on a totally usable six and got a bunch of free suspension parts.
Way to go!
echocanyons
That seems like one helluva score Jamie, congrats
JRust
Okay I finally took some more pics! Pulled the bumpers, Valances & drivetrain today. Looks like the engine will need some work. Some water in the intakes & the Alternater & housing surrounding sad.gif . Well the pics will tell the story there. I'd like a little help figuring what size engine. The #on the block is 6141105 if anyone has a book & can see whatthat falls under. The rear bumper & valance are nice. The front bumper is okay but the bumper top shows a little heat damage. The front valance is good although it's a fiberglass one. The exhaust all made it thru fine. It has adjustable Koni's in the rear also. Well here are some pics
JRust
More pics
JRust
The pic with My 74 is the future recipient of many of these parts biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
OH MAN! It had/has a Clewet spark system on it. You have the coils and the wheel. The pully wheel alone is worth some $. You may just have to rewire the system to get it to work. Someone lost a lot of money when that caught on fire!
sixnotfour
1974 engine 2.7
Dr Evil
I have that very same engine. The 74 was the best year as they never has the thermal reactors so the lower studs didnt get cooked and such. Ofcourse, you will need to completely clean off all of that very corrosive fire retardant first. You may want to part the case and rebuild it (not a rebuild per se, more like a open and clean).
addwestern
Jamie-

Good job! Looks like we were on the same wavelength! I was picking mine up this weekend too! Went to Corpus and am making the drive home. Congrats on the pickup and glad you made it home safe.

Nate

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.