Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing mirror from windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
OK so what is the best way to remove a rearview mirror from the windshield? I have 76 parts car with a nice mirror I want to keep. Windshield has cracks so I am not concerned about saving the glass. Is there a way to heat he glass so the glue will soften? Will that work? I'm one step away from using a hammer to break the glass around the mirror base and deal with the small glass chunks later.

Thanks smash.gif
jonferns
i would imagine that a blowdryer, either from the outside or inside near the base of the mirror, would soften up the adhesive enough to pull it off....biggrin.gif good luck...--JON
So.Cal.914
agree.gif But you might want to try a heat gun (super blowdryer) Or, and this is

the one I would use, a mapp gas torch from the outside.
gregrobbins
Hammer away. Windsheild wont shatter. Pop it a good one on the button.

Or bring the car out to a Arizona summer. They all seem to fall off in the 110* days when the interior of a car can get up to 160 or hotter.
SirAndy
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ May 26 2007, 10:37 PM) *

Hammer away. Windsheild wont shatter. Pop it a good one on the button.

agree.gif

i just did that 3 weeks ago. used a razorblade to clean up glue around the base and then hit it flat (alongside the surface of the glass) ... smash.gif

popped right off with the glass still intact ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
gopack
Here is the technique I used to remove my mirror when i first got my 914:

1) Grasp mirror firmly
2) gently try to adjust mirror to see out small back window
3) Toss mirror into passenger foot well
4) drive away!

I couldn't keep mine attached, so coming off shouldn't be much of a problem!
woobn8r
Can you get a wire in behind?...a guitar string, piano wire or other suitable strength wire should slice it off nice (with some heat too)...
S.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Garold:
I am with ( gopack), when i had the stock one it keep falling off.
Get the one that mounts to the center bracket of
your sun visors. Dave smilie_pokal.gif
aircooledboy
At the glass shop we would just lay the glass flat, mirror up, pour a small puddle of alcohol around the base, and light it. After a few seconds, twist the base with a pair of channel locks, and it should come right off. With a windshield you don't care about, you can just heat the back side with a torch. Same twisting procedure and it should pop right off. beerchug.gif
PinetreePorsche
My windshield is a recent one, and the PO may have wut the mirrowr on too high--either that or the r springs are really shot--and they don't feel like it on the road or a-x track. I want to move it down WITHOUT destroying the glass. I would consider the fine piano wire, but feel it's on real well, so want some other hints or tricks. Anyone got any?
GaroldShaffer
I heat the glass with torch and gave it a good smash.gif small part of the windshield came off with it but I don't care. Thanks everyone.
bulitt
Old thread...So trying to take the mirror off a chipped windshield. Heated it, pried on it, beat it. Heated the heck out of it with my heat gun. To no avail. Figured I would just leave it before I got hurt. Opened the garage door to walk out and mail a letter and heard a pop. Cold air must have contracted the glass and popped it off.

Whatever lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.