Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Man am I tired
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Had to get up real early so I could sneak the control arms into the oven and not have the family complain about the smell. I don't think my strategy is going to work. The new Por 15 is cooking off some solventor something. Smells pretty bad. I've got the HVAC on to try to get rid of it.

Bearings are going in real easy though.

I suppose the wife going to have a hard time understanding I had to doit so the wheel bearings would go in. unsure.gif happy11.gif

Dave
redshift
My Scott Kline should jump in with his sig from PP...

'It's easier to get forgiveness, than it is to get permission.'

smile.gif

M
maf914
Dave,

What temp are you taking those to?

Maybe you could appease the wife by baking a pan of cinammon rolls or something for breakfast, with a side of swing arm! laugh.gif

Mike
DNHunt
Pulled it off. Aired the house out before the wife got up. She never said a thing.

Dave
skline
I tried doing that, I baked some parts in the oven and she went balistic. It stunk up the whole house. She was pissed. But she forgave me. After all, it is my house.
DNHunt
Glad I didn't have to go there. I made the comment that I had been working on the car now for almost 2 months. She said "It seems like 2 years". Guess I'm gonna have pay some more attention to the little lady.

I asked if she could give me a hand tomorrow afternoon jacking the rear suspension up to the car. She actually said yes. I'll get some work done and spend some time with the wife boldblue.gif

Dave
Mueller
I bought a full size spare oven just for things like this smile.gif

it was 20 bucks or so, I keep it on the side of the house near my storage shed...it has a 15" cord to reach into the garage,,,,,,,,

Never used the oven inside the house for parts, I did however use our dishwasher once for a few small pieces.....bad timing, wife saw the parts and went ballistic for about 5 minutes ar15.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 9 2003, 09:07 AM)
it has a 15" cord to reach into the garage,,,,,,,,

Is that length or girth?

(I know you just missed the shift key when you typed that but it made me think of Spinal Tap so I got a good laugh).
Downunderman
She didn't mind the cylinder heads in the oven, but she went off a bit about the carburettors in the dishwasher.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Dec 9 2003, 03:59 AM)
I had to doit so the wheel bearings would go in. unsure.gif happy11.gif

why didn't you just put the bearings in the freezer? confused24.gif

a lot less smell, same results cool.gif
Andy
J P Stein
agree.gif I use dry ice tho (frozen CO2).
Bearings drop in.
DNHunt
I did freeze the bearings. One dropped in the other needed a light tap.

Dave
maf914
When you heat a metal object it typically expands. When you heat a pipe, what happens to the inner diameter? Does it expand or contract? Or does the reaction depend on the wall thickness? huh.gif

Does baking the swing arm in Dave's wife's oven help or not? laugh.gif

Mike
redshift
It helps!

M
swood
Dave,
I'm sure that it is easier to remove the trailing arms with the motor out, but did you do yours with it in? How much harder would it be to do with the motor in? Just wondering if this is a must do before my motor gets shoved in.

Steve
DNHunt
I did it with the engine out. Unbolted the brake and E brake. I undid the 3 bolts that are used for alignment (outboard and forward of the control arm), then the bolt at the suspension ear on the framerail. Undid the top of the shock at the shock tower and dropped the whole suspension with a jack. Had it out in 10 minutes (I know I work slow).

If the engine was in you wold have remove exhaust then split the CV joint. One advantage, if you are doing bearings, you could loosen the castle nut from the stub shaft with car in gear on the ground with E brake on. The castle nut is a real bitch on the workbench (several hours and I was very thankful for a large vice).

Dave
Brad Roberts
You dont have to remove the exhaust to get the axles out. Position the control arms correctly and they come out. The passenger side inboard CV will need to go towards the upper tranny/engine bolt.

The job is not real easy.. but it is less work/hassle than removing the exhaust.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.