Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Electric Windshield Washer Pump Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrofit
Has anyone successfully completed this project?
I was inspired by a Pelican Parts tech article and now I'm feeling a little over my head.
Need guidance for solving the problems I'm having.
TIA
Allen

Problems:
1. The new 924 switch I have has misbehaved. First, while checking it out it popped its lid! The metal cover plate came loose and shot springs around the kitchen. Put it back together by epoxying the pivot post that the switch handle pivots on. Then the Brown wire lead just fell off one of the riveted on terminals. Had to tediously solder it on.
2. Tech article reads: "you will have 2 extra wires. A Red and Red/brown wire coming from the 924 wiper switch. My switch has a Red and a Brown wire. (Isn't Brown usually ground)
3. Where to tie into the fuse block? Haynes doesn't have a diagram showing the terminals and their numbers and functions. Directions read: "connect one of the two leads from the wiper switch to the fuse block over by the terminal that powers the wiper motor(?). Connect the other lead from the wiper switch to the wire from the pump motor. Tried that taking power from the terminal which powers the radio. When I went to attach the wire to the power terminal I got sparks!! Oh, no.
4. After ilnstalling the turn sig and new wiper switch I turned the ignition on to test and have nothing! No wipers and no turn sigs. Is it ok to test run at this stage of reassembly?
5. Lost the oil press and gen lights-red and green when the key is turned to ignitiion on. Check fuses. Look ok. Blown relay(s).
6. Have two circlips-one large and one small. The large looks lilke it goes over the steering column bearing. Tried it and it fits. Is this right? Where does the small circlip go? Haynes is diagram is vague and nothing in the text like "first this and then that..."
7 Also found one small brass bit (terminal) that may have fallen out of one of the original switches. Checked out the turn sig switch and nothing appeared missing. Hmmmm.

This project is killing me! So far nothing is working as it should and what did work before is now not working.

Where should I begin to make this project a success?

TIA
Allen
'74 2.0
Turlock, CA
914nerd
What problems are you having?
Basically, you need a pump and a switch
Wire it so that the momentary switch is in line with the pump and then reroute tubing straight from the pump (or whatever you're pressurizing) to the sprayer nozzles
As for the switch, just use a 3 to 5 amp microswitch and rig it up to the actuating pin for the water valve
I actually set part of this up recently (but haven't installed the tank or pump yet due to a lack of time)
Does that make sense/ help any?
if not, list the problems

Charles
orthobiz
Try here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=67916

Paul
orthobiz
Better yet (forgot if Gint or McMark or whoever suggested this)

Go to "Search" and use the + sign before each word (that limits to those posts that have all of those words.

Plug in:

+electric +windshield +washer

and do the search. It's a good place to start. UpFixin' had an article on this as well: if you're in PCA you can get free UpFixin' until they are all gone.

Paul
SirAndy
no, go here:

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

biggrin.gif Andy
retrofit
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2007, 12:22 PM) *

Andy

This is the way I should have gone about the upgrade. i may have 'out-tricked" myself. Got to deal with it now...
914nerd
Well, what problems are you having?
What parts and such have you gotten and where are you stuck?
retrofit
QUOTE(914nerd @ Jun 12 2007, 08:40 AM) *

Well, what problems are you having?
What parts and such have you gotten and where are you stuck?

Thanks for the reply.
I 've added that info to my original post. Take a look and see if I have provided enough details to properly describe what has and what is not going on...
TIA
Allen
914nerd
I would say that for the electrical problems, bust out a multimeter and start tracing things
If you have the switch assembly back together, then I would recommend just taking power off the hot side of the fuse panel and running a small fuse in line (3-5 A depending on your switch and what pump you are using)
I don't remember the colors for the switch assembly off the top of my head, but with a multimeter and maybe a couple of jumper wires (to simulate a closed switch at some position in the circuit) it shouldn't take too long to figure out what is what

As for the circlips, the large one holds the outer edge of the bearing and the smaller one clips to the slot in the steering column (just forward of where the splines end)
I don't really see the point in it except to space the steering wheel assembly out some (and keep it from shredding your horn contact pin)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.