Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using a 72 Beetle Turn Signal Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
After searching awhile it appears the 72 style turn signal switch is NLA from Porsche. It looks like some have use the 72 Beetle switch with success. Looking at This Web Site they look the same but the wiring colors are different. It also looks like there is only one rub arm for the horn contact instead of two.

Anyone have experience with this? It looks like the colors are different but set up the same. Are the connectors the same? Wire length the same? or basically, is there any issues installing these?
boxstr
Paul, Not sure about the ones you are looking at. I have used the later VW switch on 74 914s. I used one from the VW Thing.

CCLIN914NATION
Cap'n Krusty
Because the switch is German, and especially because it's VW, the wire color assignments and the terminal designations are the SAME. That's how it's mandated by the TUV under German law. IF the switch will attach ans clear everything it needs to clear, it'll function. The horn contacts and any other extra functions, may not be mechanically the same. The Cap'n
PRS914-6
Thanks for the replies. I ordered an OEM and paid the bucks..... sad.gif

If you look at the Beetle wiring colors, the colors are different. See the pictures HERE Perhaps due to aftermarket, I don't know. I probably won't regret the extra $$ for the OEM
Marlow
I found the Beetle part to fit perfectly in my 74. There was a definite difference in quality to the OEM switch though, it didn't return to neutral very easily and it's action was quite stiff. I attempted to disassemble and fix it - I would not recommend doing that. I ended up tossing it in the trash, waste of $25 and several frustrating hours. BusDepot sells it for $26 and change. The POS I bought was a Valeo brand, looks like they sell a different one now, KMM. Not sure if the quality is any better.

The horn contact was slightly different, only one electrical arm instead of two. The horn worked fine though. The plug end matched the OEM switch exactly.

111-953-513-F TURN SIGNAL SWITCH
BEETLE 72-79 / GHIA 72-74 / TYPE 3 72-74
PRS914-6
Thanks Joel, I wanted to put an OEM style in. Had one purchased from AA this morning but after being quoted a price and placing the order, they backed out several hours later. This kind of treatment gets old. I have let George know my feelings about it.

Have not decided what I will do but that's good info.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The best thing to do in this case is not to suffer the agony of the search and outrageously high price of the exact no longer factory replacement. The 75 76 turn signal switch works perfectly in the early application, a direct replacement for the 72-74 switch. This late switch also happens to be the same as the early 924 switch (which of all things happens to be made as a repro! replacement made and that is it's part number is 111 953 513f! Anyone will sell this part for$ 49.50! The only difference is that the switch only has one copper feeler for the horn contact, not two!
Don't let a parts supplier rob you by telling you HE has the last of the no longer available 72-74 switches at a high price! Buy the cheap substitute
Al Meredith
15 years ago I replaced the turn signal switch on Blakes 71. I Went to the local VW dealer and he had several in a box. I seem to remember a 69 VW was exactley the same as a the 71 914.
914Sixer
I bought two switches this month for my 73. One was a SWF the OEM manufacturer and one that was Valeo. It seems that Valeo has bought out SWF? The boxes were identical and had the SWF triangle but with Valeo in it. The SWF had the dual horn tabs and the Valeo had the single. I also paid $120 for the SWF and the Valeo was $35. They are identical otherwise. Both had part # 113.953.513F.
rick 918-S
What part fails on this switch? The cancel? or the inducator?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 16 2007, 09:08 AM) *

What part fails on this switch? The cancel? or the inducator?

Usually the cancel mechanism and then the contacts wear so one has to actually not fully engage the lever to make the turn signals operate. Annoying
914Sixer
I have added some pictures for inquiring minds that need to know. You can go to www2.cip1.com and purchase one for the correct year model you have. The VW Beetle year model corresponds to the 914 year model.
krazykonrad
I know that at least externally the turn signal switch on my 72/ 4 is the same as my dad's 72 Super Beetle (as is the rest of the steering column). As far as the insides, I'm not sure, but I bet its probably the same part.
Konrad
Marlow
As it turns out the aftermarket part I bought for $25 from BusDepot was not the Valeo/SWF brand. I saw that box in the garage and then remembered that it was from some parts I bought a while ago from Performance. After I ended up throwing away the cheap replacement I installed the Valeo/SWF part, which was the same as the OEM switch that came out.

Can't remember what brand I bought from BusDepot, if I find the receipt I'll post it.

Sorry for any confusion.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Speaking of turn signal lever, is the hi/low beam switch on this? Because I can't toggle my headlights even though the relay DOES work (I tested it). My turn signals do work.
Marlow
Yes, the dimmer switch is built into the turn signal lever. Is your dimmer relay a 4-pin or 5-pin?
Air_Cooled_Nut
No idea. It's a 1973 car, originally 1.7L.
mightyohm
I can confirm that a 1972 VW Beetle turn signal switch is a direct replacement for the one I took out of my 1972 914.

This is the part I bought: http://www.jbugs.com/product/111953513F.ht...gory_Code=12396

New switch is on the right in these photos.
tat2dphreak
can you also get the equivalent wiper switch? that way both are new..
McMark
Lookin' good. One more pesky problem off the list.
silverteener
I used a VW one on my 72 also. I think I got mine from Busdepot. The quality was not as good but it works. It doesn't always cancel the right side but to me it was worth the money.
mightyohm
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 6 2009, 06:51 AM) *

can you also get the equivalent wiper switch? that way both are new..

Good question. Jbugs lists this one for the 72 beetle:
http://www.jbugs.com/product/111953519G.ht...gory_Code=12396

However, there is an extra wire and the assembly looks slightly different. Not sure if it would fit or not, and I'm not about to spend $120 to find out. dry.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.