Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: difference between /6 engine mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Sometime in the future I will have to purchase/make engine mounts for my /6 conversion. From what I understand there are two types, firewall mount and mounts that utilize the stock 4 cylinder mounting brackets. I was at my mechanics shop today and he had a /6 conversion up on the lift and I looked at the "stick" mount he had made for this conversion. It was basically a piece of square stock aprox. 1 1/4 in diameter with reinforcements in various places and it seemed very simple and stable. So for you guys running conversions what's the scoop on the two types? What are the pros / cons of both? beerchug.gif
Justinp71
I have the bar that runs to the original 914 motor mounts, it is the Chromoly version. I used to have a home made steel one (came with motor) that broke. In the 5 years I have had the chromoly one it has been great. biggrin.gif

But I have heard if you want to do serious racing you should get the firewall engine mounts.
effutuo101
I was told by several people who have done lots of /6 conversions that the welded in motor mount is the way to go. So, that is what I bought.
effutuo101
picture
degreeoff
yeah look at my thread and see mine in the car,,,its a straight forward install....I even cut out the 4 mounts...a real PITA!!!
Rand
The Rich Johnson (or similar type) welded firewall mount is the only way to go. I'm betting a search here would turn up a lot of discussion about it.
rfuerst911sc
When the Rich Johnson mount is welded in place does anyone know if there is still room to allow cutting out a removeable firewall panel to allow access to the alternator/fan belt? I don't want to get in a debate about the merits of a access panel, I think this is a good idea for a street car. So does anyone know if there is room for both? Thanks
SLITS
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jun 15 2007, 05:02 PM) *

When the Rich Johnson mount is welded in place does anyone know if there is still room to allow cutting out a removeable firewall panel to allow access to the alternator/fan belt? I don't want to get in a debate about the merits of a access panel, I think this is a good idea for a street car. So does anyone know if there is room for both? Thanks

The access panel is cut well above the mount. YES, I cut an access panel to get to the dizzy. My access panel is about 5" X 7" ... it could be larger.

I used the Maddog mount (which I later found out was a copy/very similar to the RJ mount) and welded it in place.
PeeGreen 914
Anyone have pictures of there engine mounted like that. I have only seen what I have, and I am now considering doing the other after reading what you guys are saying.
Rand
Check out the board's search function. It's great for this kind of stuff....

Link to one of the threads
John
I thought the access hole was for changing the belt, checking timing (maybe access to the dizzy), and another source for cooler air (some just replace the cut out part with wire mesh).

I don't have holes in any of mine. Carrera's use the DME (MOTRONIC) to adjust timing. The dizzy only has a simple round hole instead of a slot.

I typically change the belt if the engine is out to adjust valves.

I made my firewall engine mounts. My first one was for the track car and it utilized a 914/6 mount on the front of the engine.

After creating that one 16-17 years ago, we talked about taking a 911 mount and cutting it down in length and using two mounting points on the firewall. It turns out that great minds think alike as it is VERY close to looking like a Rich Johnson mount.

However, I am a proponent of solidly mounting the engine and transmission into the chassis, so mine does not utilize rubber mounts for either the engine or the transmission.

What the old timers told me way back when is that if you mount one solid, you must mount the other end solid or risk breaking mounts (ears) off of the trans. In the 20 or so years that the track car has been driven on the track, I have had 0 problems with the solid mounts.

I highly recommend the firewall mount instead of the poorly engineered cantilever design that utilizes the 914/4 mounts. They are CONSTANTLY flexing due to the cantilever design. The RJ mounts are a no-brainer if you don't fabricate your own.

I have also heard good things about the PMS (Patrick Motorsports) firewall engine mount, because it allows the engine to be tipped down for maintenance/etc.

Here are a couple pictures of my mount. More pictures can be found in my BLOG (click on the link in my sig below)
PRS914-6
I like the Rich Johnson mount as well. Quality product and nice guy.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
effutuo101
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 15 2007, 05:10 PM) *

Anyone have pictures of there engine mounted like that. I have only seen what I have, and I am now considering doing the other after reading what you guys are saying.

Hey Jon,
Next week, you can swing by my place and see one installed w/o the motor if the pictures don't do this justice. this is one of the projects that we spoke about.
brant
The patrick firewall version should not be over looked.

it allow you to pivot the motor and tranny down if needed.
I once dropped a motor 3 times in one afternoon at a race track because of this mount and was able to finish the race weekend as a result.

(we had to rebuild the rocker shafts on one side of the motor during the event)

it also makes valve adjustments MUCH... MUCH easier.
it is lighter, and wider as well.

it is well documented in old threads and should not be overlooked for a race application
effutuo101
Very nice Brant!
effutuo101
finally reduced picutre
PeeGreen 914
I really think I need o do this for my car, and I have been meaning to do solid transmission mounts anyway.
rfuerst911sc
So who sells these firewall engine mounts? Websites or links please. Thanks
effutuo101
Check the classifieds, one usually pops up every month or so. You can also look at the older classified adds and see who sells them.
John
Rich Johnson (aka 914guy)

Rich Johnson's listing.

I have sold one or two of my mounts, but I typically refer people to Rich.

I also make my own version of 914-6 sheet metal (although I have been Very Very slow in getting them out, sorry guys they will ship soon).
PRS914-6
Rich is very customer orientated and will answer all your questions and walk you through the installation. There was only one thing I did not care for and that was where two of the bolts penetrate the firewall. It's angles there and I was not comfortable with that. Being honest, the welds do 90 % of the work but I'm picky about details.

Here are a couple of pictures that show this. One picture shows a wedge sleeve installed that I made to correct the issue. Again, probably not a big deal.....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
I have e-mailed Rich and he replied. Very proffesional and nice. I can't wait to get some of his stuff in my car. Need to make some extra money fast. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.