Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is polishing exhaust ports a DIY Job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newto914s
I'm thinking about going up to 96mm Bores. I had the heads completely re-done at EMS in Cali around a 1k miles ago, and would rather not ship them back and forth for a port polish. I was thinking about maybe getting the ports opened up, but have read here it's not really nessisery for such a small bump in displacement. So is this something that can be done with a Dremel, or should I not even bother.
Thanks
Samson

Info that is ussualy asked for.
2L with stock D-jet, Soon to be SS HE out a Bursch, external Setrab oil cooler, Mostly street some auto-X in time.
So.Cal.914
I found it necessary to remove the valves and guides to do a proper job. The

intakes weren't to bad but the exhaust ports the metal was different, harder, more

brittle(maybe from the heat) and was alot more work. If you just had the heads

done, IMHO, I would not mess with it.
newto914s
Taking the valves out is one thing. I'm not going to mess with the guides.
Bleyseng
don't bother if you are using the stock cam grind..
Johny Blackstain
I dont think that porting & polishing is something you just do... I think it's like anything else: practice makes perfect. I would experiment 1st & not on a teener! biggrin.gif

cool_shades.gif
scotty b
FYI polishing a teeners port WILL get you jail time........ unsure.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 17 2007, 12:13 AM) *

av-943.gif Pedophile biggrin.gif .

cool_shades.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 16 2007, 09:13 PM) *

av-943.gif
G e o r g e

practice makes perfect. I would experiment 1st

sheeplove.gif slap.gif grouphug.gif

& not on a teen! biggrin.gif

but this is sound legal advise thumb3d.gif
Twystd1
Your stock 2.0 heads flow more air than your stock djet can use.

Bone stock 2.0 heads in the proper configuration of cam, springs, intake, compression ratio, bore, etc., etc.....

Can go past 140+ HP with no porting.

Jake Raby can get more than that out of 1.8 head with minimal cleanup.

If you want the fun of polishing the exhaust. Go for it. Pull the valves out first. I suggest you DO NOT polish the intake tract. Clean it up yes... Polish no. Better to have a slightly rough intake tract (like 160-180 grit) rather than a polished port and intake manifold.
Ifn ya wanna know why. PM me for a phone number. Too long to write it up.

By the way... if ya just happen to touch the valve seat surface while you are doing this. You are going to have to get another valve job. So duct tape is your friend if you use a small tool like a dremel.

If you use a die grinder like I do. It will chew through duct tape instantly.
Die Grinder

Be careful. Look on the web for the DIY yourself port polishing web sites. And have some fun.

DO NOT PORT THESE HEADS unless you know a bunch more about head porting THESE SPECIFIC TYPE IV HEADS. These ain't chevy heads.

In truth. Polishing and/or porting. Based on your existing application.
Won't make any noticeable difference in your torque or HP on a djet engine.

That is my experience. Yours may be different.

Cheers and good luck.

Clayton

newto914s
Thanks guys. I've read about how turbulance on the intake is neccicary, and I wasn't going to be doing any porting on the exhaust, just a poilsh, but it sounds like tho risk/reward would be to high so I'm just going to leave them alone. I should have tried googling the topic, lots of good info out there on how to do it.
Joe Ricard
I just finished porting my 2.0L
heads on the exhaust side. matched up the Tangerine stub pipes and shortened the inside radious making it smoother.

Will it make a difference Probably with my engne combo.

and no you can't ask what it is anymore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.