Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hanging the rear suspension on the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Got the rear suspension cleaned up and ready to install. New shocks, springs, wheel bearings, suspension bushings and 2 new inboard CV joints.

Ready to hoist

Dave
DNHunt
Driver's side up and in. All snugged down still need to torque
Gint
Gotta love progress. beerchug.gif
DNHunt
Rear suspension done! smilie_pokal.gif

I had to solve one problem. Got it all together, put the calipers on and the rotors wouldn't turn, they were frozen solid. I got a light and shined it up from below. I could see a trace of light between the inboard pad and the rotor but nothing between the outboard pad and rotor. The calipers were positioned too far inboard. Took it all apart and I had painted the caliper flanges on the bearing carrier portion of the control arm. DOH! Got rid of the paint and the problem.

Dave
rhodyguy
you gotta love the fire wall smilie_pokal.gif . you do fine work dave. i smell an engine install. i'll give you a call in a bit. the weather is way to crappy for my plans.

kevin
maf914
Looking good, Dave! smilie_pokal.gif

Where did you get your adjustable spring set-up? Paragon?

Thanks,

Mike
watsonrx13
Dave, how long have you been working on the project?

Great job smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
rhodyguy
you should have done the lower firewall too.

kevin
Doug Leggins
Looks great Dave!

I'll be painting POR15 on the rear trailing arms soon. Thanks for the the tip on not painting the caliper flanges.
Brad Roberts
Dave,

Did you reinstall the spacer for the calipers ? The one that holds the dust shield on ? I cant tell from your pics.

If you didnt... you should. It centers the caliper properly on the rotor. It un bolts from the dust shield.

B
Gint
And the small circular ScotchBrite type disks on a die grinder will zip paint (and powder coat) right off of those mating surfaces in a heartbeat.
seanery
scotchbrite will take off powdercoat? confused24.gif
Gint
The coarse discs like these (lower right in the package) in a die grinder will. Takes a little more effort than removing paint, but it will take it off.
DNHunt
Brad

Sure did, I took them off of thedust covers.

Scotchbrite products are great. Kind of expensive but they last longer than you would think they would. Great product

Dave
RustyWa
That looks like new lower engine tin rubber, by the powder looking stuff on them. If they are, did you get the expensive ones or the reproduction ones people were talking about a while back?
Brad Roberts
Cool Dave. Just watch'n ya back bro.

yes.. I use 3m pads exclusively. They also work GREAT at removing old gasket material from intake manifolds and the such.

B
DNHunt
Eric

It is new rubber. I don't know about original or repro. Kevin tipped me off to them on Ebay. Got a sweet deal.

They fit fine so I'm satisfied

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.