Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewall Shift Rod Bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Search results only dealt with installation (that I could find). What's the easiest method to remove it??

Thanks,
Andys
914nerd
Pull
Hard
Grab it with something (like vise grips) and pull it out
Don't worry about damaging the old one because it is old and being replaced
That's pretty much how I did mine

*Disclaimer: your results may vary. Not for women who are pregnant or nursing. Also not for use by people who have suffered a heart attack or stroke or are at high risk for a heart attack or stroke. Side effects may include but are not limited to: Nausea, viral infection, death, dismemberment, and the uncontrollable urge to swear profusely as a result of the *&#$ pieces of the &@%^ car just won't come apart right because of all the !@$# rust. @$#%!!!*
FlatSix
QUOTE(914nerd @ Jun 18 2007, 11:16 AM) *

Pull
Hard

So how do you get the new one in without damaging it? I've got one still in it's original wrapper - I've had it for years!
rhcb914
QUOTE(FlatSix @ Jun 18 2007, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(914nerd @ Jun 18 2007, 11:16 AM) *

Pull
Hard

So how do you get the new one in without damaging it? I've got one still in it's original wrapper - I've had it for years!

Get a long threaded rod, long enough that you can slide 1 end through the firewall and take the other end and brace it against the engine mount bar. Get a nut for the rod and a large washer about the diameter or the outer lip of the bushing. Spin the nut about 1/2 way down the rod, slide the washer over 1 end then the bushing. Slide the assembly through the firewall opening and brace the other end against the engine mount bar. Now take an open end wrench and tighten down on the nut until the bushing pops in place.

Works like a charm every time. No need to cut, boil or otherwise modify your bushing!

Good luck.
TROJANMAN
Cool, I'm going to have to try that next time
(but hopefully there won't be a next time)
LowGT
QUOTE(FlatSix @ Jun 18 2007, 05:00 PM) *

I just used a rubber mallet and it popped in with one hit. Going in is easy, getting it out is hard. smile.gif
joeav8tor
drop it in some boiling water to soften it up, use some grease to lube it up and push it into the firewall...a rubber mallet (lightly tapping) will also help it in.
Joe
Allan
QUOTE(joeav8tor @ Jun 18 2007, 04:49 PM) *

drop it in some boiling water to soften it up, use some grease to lube it up and push it into the firewall...a rubber mallet (lightly tapping) will also help it in.
Joe

agree.gif
Al Meredith
Wait a minute ! rhcb in Boston is pulling it through with the lip on the inside. The bubber mallet method is putting the lip on the outside ( engine side) Which is correct????
Al Meredith
Never mind, I read it again. MY BAD
Allan
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jun 18 2007, 06:09 PM) *

Never mind, I read it again. MY BAD

It's late on the wrong coast.

We understand... smile.gif
tracks914
You can use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the old one up to soften it before pulling it out. Worked for me.
Nürburg Nomad
I know this is an old thread; but the method I used to remove my old stubborn one was simply cutting a 1/4" notch out of it with a tiny high speed cutting wheel on a cordless dremel. Very Easy! biggrin.gif Just be careful not to knick the firewall as mine ate through the old bushing very quickly!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.