Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just tested my MPS and the result was...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
customstarr
Good!!! Go figure!?!

I've been chasing this rich condition for a while, and I was betting that the MPS was toast.

I measured today with a vacuum pump. Evacuated to 20 Hg - did not drop below 15 Hg within 5 Minutes (tested according to Paul B. Anders D-Jet site specs) only dropped to 18 Hg during that test. Also evacuated to 15 Hg and it held for 5 minutes, only dropping 1 Hg (based on spec found here on this forum).

AA's site says that it should hold 15 Hg indefintely. I have to assume that mine is good from a vacuum standpoint. Can I get a second opinion on that so I can be positive?

I also tested the MPS coils according to Paul B. Anders D-jet site specs. I was nearly right on the money ohm wise.

All said, I have to assume that it is time to move on to the Fuel Pressure - I'll measure that tomorrow. In a strange way, I was kinda hoping it was the MPS. I am soooooo ready to be over this rich mixture issue. Soooooo ready.
customstarr
Ok... maybe I spoke to soon. I started to look closely at the part number.

My part numbers are as follows:

Bosch: 0 280 100 019
VW: 022 906 051 A

B. Anders site says it should be:

Bosch P/N: 0 280 100 049
VW P/N: 022 906 051 E
(For 1970-1973 1.7L)

Funny thing is, his site makes no mention of either of my part numbers. In addition, I google my part numbers and found absolutely nothing for either (in all combinations of spacing). There was a used MPS for an early (1970-1972) 1.7 that recently sold on eBay - seller listed the "correct" P/Ns: 022 906 051 E and 0 280 100 049 - I guess mine is completely wrong based on my investigations.

Does anybody know what MPS belongs to? I know that they need to match with the ECU, and I am assuming that mine doesn't.

WHAT A BITCH!!! This is getting ridiculous! I'm ready to go off!!! ar15.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(customstarr @ Jun 18 2007, 04:07 PM) *

Good!!! Go figure!?!

I've been chasing this rich condition for a while, and I was betting that the MPS was toast.

I measured today with a vacuum pump. Evacuated to 20 Hg - did not drop below 15 Hg within 5 Minutes (tested according to Paul B. Anders D-Jet site specs) only dropped to 18 Hg during that test. Also evacuated to 15 Hg and it held for 5 minutes, only dropping 1 Hg (based on spec found here on this forum).

AA's site says that it should hold 15 Hg indefintely. I have to assume that mine is good from a vacuum standpoint. Can I get a second opinion on that so I can be positive?

I also tested the MPS coils according to Paul B. Anders D-jet site specs. I was nearly right on the money ohm wise.

All said, I have to assume that it is time to move on to the Fuel Pressure - I'll measure that tomorrow. In a strange way, I was kinda hoping it was the MPS. I am soooooo ready to be over this rich mixture issue. Soooooo ready.

the pressure sensor should hold yes but the fact that it holds 15 for awhile would not make for a rich rich condition that one could not stand. The fact that it is leaking means definitely that it is on the way out, but I would check first low compression on one cylinder, fuel pressure, and injector spray pattern, and injector color (yellow plug-in ones) Also make sure that someone has not fooled with the sensor causing misadjustment. Many think that by adjusting the sensor they will make it better!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
pn is correct for the early cars just been superceded to the 049 don't fret.
customstarr
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 18 2007, 03:33 PM) *

pn is correct for the early cars just been superceded to the 049 don't fret.

Thanks George... I was sweating it. It seems to be holding good enough to do it's job in my opinion. The epoxy or screw has not been touched, but I did notice that the unit is held together with screws versus rivets. They look stock - did this vintage have rivets or screws? I wonder if it has been rebuilt at some point. It sure doesn't look like it.
Cap'n Krusty
Some had machine screws, some rivets. One of the things we learned at P-car school was to split the ones with screws and put a light coat of grease on the o-ring. It helped the seal. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.