Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why I hate Automobile Atlanta
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jj83118
I thought I'd share my crappy experience with Automobile Atlanta. Maybe I just need to vent, but I think they are one shady outfit.

Here is my story:

I need a 914-6 oil tank to complete my car. Last February (one week before they were having their big "sale") I called AA and asked about their oil tanks. Bruce or Mclean told me there were 8 in stock...cool, only $535 list and a 20% discount to boot!

I got up early on the Saturday morning (the day of the sale) called AA and asked about oil tanks...I was told there were plenty in stock. Alright, I'll take one...problem solved. I was so pleased, I ordered two rear bearings and some CV joint gaskets too!

A week goes past and only the bearings and gaskets show up at my door. So, I give them a call. They say they ran out of tanks. WTF!

I talked to Bruce and told him the whole story. He said they would ship me a tank in two weeks when the new supply arrives. I say fine...it figured it was still a long time before I actually needed the tank.

A week goes by and low and behold an invoice arrives...I was charged full price for a tank that was never shipped ($587.45)! Oh boy! I get to call Bruce again.

Bruce tells me they will honor the 20% sale price and correct the charge to my credit card. Silly me, I believe him. He also says the tank will be shipped by the end of March. Deep breath and let it go.

I call my good buddy Bruce in April...where is the tank? Slight problem, should ship by end of month. Another deep breath.

Hey Bruce, April is almost over! Where's my tank? There's a problem with the supplier and it will take another month.

May rolls around and I'm too busy helping my Fiance with our wedding plans to deal with AA.

I get back from the honeymoon to find Bruce has left the building! Now I'm dealing with some guy named Charlie. Charlie where is my tank? There are big problems with the supplier and new tanks won't arrive for another month (could be just me, but don't you see a pattern here?). However, they have an oil tank kit in stock for $1300 something. I tell him I don't want a whole "kit".

He says they might be able to split-up the kit and sell the tank to me. He says things are just too busy around there and I should give him a call tomorrow.

I called the next day, two days later, and two more days later. Still no decision.

Last time I spoke to Charlie, he's not sure if they can split-up the kit and they want to charge me "significantly" more for the tank...WTF!!!

So here we are...charged for a part back in February (at full cost I might add) and still no oil tank. I've talked to my bank and they can dispute the charges. They also told me I could send a letter to the Better Business Bureau.

At first I thought my case might be an anomaly, but it appears George and crew have a history of this sort of thing.

I hate Automobile Atlanta! I don't think I can really blame Charlie, Bruce, or whatshisname for the problem. I think it is a problem with management and the low threshold of intergrity

I guess I get to call tomorrow and ask for my money back...Lord knows they won't call me!

Jim

customstarr
There's a pattern here, and that sucks because George seems to be a really helpful guy. I don't get it.
ptravnic
Jim - I see you are fairly new to the club/world (whatever we want to call it these days) so:

welcome.png

Sorry you've had such a stromberg.gif time w/AA. I'll second the above as George seems genuinely freakish about his devotion to these cars.

I've had experiences with AA where they thought they had a part but ended up not having it BUT I didn't have any prob cancelling the order.

George has left his phone numbers on the board a few times - maybe time to give him a call.

-pt
VaccaRabite
Do we really need to do this thread again?

Some people don't like the way AA does business. Fine. Don't shop there.

Last Monday I realized restoring a part was not worth my time. PP was out of stock, AA had it and got it to me 3 days later.

Yeah, sometimes they are a bit wonky (maybe its a Georgia thing poke.gif ) but in the end I have always gotten what I needed from them.

Zach
McMark
I've never ordered from AA. And this isn't the first time I've heard this story. I genuinely hope that some day these stories will be a thing of the past, but apparently that day has not come. Correct, thorough, and verbose information to your customer is a necessary part of a successful business.

I don't know what tanks they are selling, but I can say that the reproductions available in our Member Vendors section from Don Welch (DWDesign.com, BigD9146GT) are amazing and a tank costs $750, plus the filler neck is $190, and the filter stand is $125. It's a lot of money, but worth every penny. They are great tanks (Andy has one in his 3.6) with amazing workmanship and they fit right the first time, just like a factory tank. If I were doing a six conversion, I wouldn't even look for a used factory tank.
TROJANMAN
I had a problem with a vendor today.
I was actually quite pissed.
Of course, none of you would know that,
because I didn't post it publicly.
I handled it all through PM's and emails, and we both came to an understanding.

Obviously, one person's experience is not going to be the same as another's,
but there really is no need to bash someone in public.

:2cents:

Now...........The thread that george started, well, some people are just Masochists
degreeoff
I have been peeved with them too, but must second the statement that I always got what I paid for...and I have easily spoken to George 6-7 times in my 8 years of owning my car.. he does have alot of 914 parts layin around.........
Demick
In the other AA thread started by George, he basically said that if you talk to someone at AA (besides him), they will quote you a price for a part that may or may not be correct, on an item that may or may not be in stock.

Sounds like that's exactly what happened here too.
PeeGreen 914
There is aready a thred for being pissed off at AA. We get it. chair.gif Do we need another thread? WTF.gif
brp914
We need another thread because this isn't an instance of shabby service, or a reneged deal. This is a seemingly criminal act of charging a customer not for the agreed price, but a higher price - for an item they do not have. I believe George needs to address this matter publicly.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Now this unlike the turnsignal switch is TOTAL BULLSHIT! You should have received your tank pronto with no if ands or buts right away and I PERSONALLY have no idea why you did not. NO EXCUSES ON THIS ONE
I will make sure that one is sent overnight air to you today. A company takes tells you the price, takes your money, and doesn't ship? TOTAL BULLSHIT
URY914
popcorn[1].gif This is getting good....
woobn8r
Personally,

I think it's just SAD.... sad.gif

jonferns
popcorn[1].gif wheres the artificial butter?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(brp914 @ Jun 18 2007, 09:38 PM) *

We need another thread because this isn't an instance of shabby service, or a reneged deal. This is a seemingly criminal act of charging a customer not for the agreed price, but a higher price - for an item they do not have. I believe George needs to address this matter publicly.

No this was just something badly overlooked
URY914
Buyer should have asked for George on the second call.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 19 2007, 11:14 AM) *

agree.gif Bingo!

cool_shades.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 19 2007, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 19 2007, 11:14 AM) *

agree.gif Bingo!

cool_shades.gif

I know how hindsight is always 20/20 on this kind of thing.
rhodyguy
jim, just think how pleased you will be while installing your new tank tomorrow evening.

k
Dr Evil
Hmmm popcorn[1].gif
ppickerell
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 19 2007, 09:34 AM) *

Hmmm popcorn[1].gif

Ok Dr. 914, I have a couple of purchases coming up. How about a detailed explanation of how this would happen. What kind of turnover do you see on your order desk personel?
jimkelly
i called AA once and did not like the answers I was getting

i have ordered from Pelican many times - have always been satisifed

YMMV

jim
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Jun 19 2007, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 19 2007, 09:34 AM) *

Hmmm popcorn[1].gif

Ok Dr. 914, I have a couple of purchases coming up. How about a detailed explanation of how this would happen. What kind of turnover do you see on your order desk personel?

Why did you quote me? Wrong Dr? blink.gif biggrin.gif
jj83118
I got not one, but two phone calls from Charlie at AA this morning. They are honoring my purchase and sending a T-shirt to boot.

George even sent a nice email.

I am sorry for talking up space here with my complaint, but I felt I had run out of options. I think the forum does provide a good service in allowing members to posts problems in dealing with vendors. I think people should continue to posts grievances as long as they are legitimate and not just flame jobs.

George said he is looking into how this happened and I hope Automobile Atlanta does make some changes in their customer service department. I realize they have been into 914s for a long time and they provide a much needed source for hard to get parts. I will probably need to go to them in the future.

Thank you all,

Jim

Andyrew
Here is some advice to those that dont deal with customer service people every day.

If you are having a problem, or dont like the answers you are getting from a company such as this, there is only one thing to do. Go higher up in the company. Still dont like it? go higher.

There are a couple of things that happen here.
The managers and owners become aware of problems and are more readily able to make solutions to those situations.
Also people find out who causes the problems and be able to blame the apropriate people. Which, yes, can lead to them being fired, but it allows for the right person to be fired.

For example this instance, someone probably took down the purchase order, but left it on their desk never to touch it again (person needs to have a chat). Or someone is using the wrong inventory sheet on the PC to check if the item is in stock (which is a simple fix).

Being the representative for their company, George has to take the blame for all of the problems that arive, yet I can guarantee you that he fixes them the best way he can.

Personally speaking, I have never delt with AA and most likely I never will have to. Pelican parts is a more local supplier to me, Also I have maybe 10 genuine porsche parts left on my car, and they are all new/non wear items...

Good luck to AA, George, find the source and deal with it. IT took my work a whole new staff, but we now have 3 times as much buisness and the reputation that it used to have...
scotty b
Very decent of you Jim. clap56.gif As you can see by my sig line, I too have been burned but have given them a 2nd chance. And a 3rd.....and a 4th.....then came the group flare buy and they started to look good to me again confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jj83118 @ Jun 19 2007, 04:48 PM) *

I got not one, but two phone calls from Charlie at AA this morning. They are honoring my purchase and sending a T-shirt to boot.

George even sent a nice email.

I am sorry for talking up space here with my complaint, but I felt I had run out of options. I think the forum does provide a good service in allowing members to posts problems in dealing with vendors. I think people should continue to posts grievances as long as they are legitimate and not just flame jobs.

George said he is looking into how this happened and I hope Automobile Atlanta does make some changes in their customer service department. I realize they have been into 914s for a long time and they provide a much needed source for hard to get parts. I will probably need to go to them in the future.

Thank you all,

Jim

Jim,
Congratulations on your wedding. Congratulations on your 914 and welcome to the World... welcome.png
A point we don't want you to miss though is that this is not a "service" of the club... This should be your absolute last resort. I realize that you thought it was your last resort but I knew as soon as you posted that George would make it right and not because you put him in a corner but because that is what George does... Andyrew who by the way is displaying wisdom beyond his years is right on when he says that if you don't like what you hear go higher. George is working in the background trying to get parts replicated that are NLA for a price cheap 914 guys will pay. He does NOT want to hear that he is paying guys to jack around with his customers. If you had called him we would not know about this.
When you have ordered from the spectrum of suppliers you will find that George, Rich Bontempi, Dave at GPR, and even the Bird dudes are first and foremost 914 guys. So next time when you don't like what you hear and especially if it is an injustice ask for George. aktion035.gif
IronHillRestorations
Did George offer to let you hit him too?
thomasotten
I always ask for George when I call. If he is not there, I call back. I just get an uneasy feeling when talking to the other parts guys.
jonferns
Yea, heres another complaitn. Mid-April, I ordered a 914 catalog from AA. I dont know if they email order confirmations, but I never got one. Anyway, so I wait two weeks. Then send an email. The email isnt answered for another week and a half. So now, we're up to 3 1/2 weeks after my order. I recieve an email saying that they forgot about my order, and thats it. I dont understand, how they can be so relaxed and carefree. So, my catalog comes. Thats it. Never a "sorry", or "sorry for the inconvinience"...just a "oh, we forgot" ....jeez.....thanks a bunch AA! --JON
IronHillRestorations
IMHO, if this is resolved, then the poster should delete the thread.

If I can get a new factory oil tank for $535, I'll take two. That's well below what I paid for the last one I purchased from Porsche. Isn't the dealer list price over $1000 now?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 20 2007, 07:45 PM) *

IMHO, if this is resolved, then the poster should delete the thread.

If I can get a new factory oil tank for $535, I'll take two. That's well below what I paid for the last one I purchased from Porsche. Isn't the dealer list price over $1000 now?

Oh hell yeah! agree.gif

cool_shades.gif
PORobinSCHE
oddly, i had the same problem ordering fiberglass flares(9&11's),back in march. i got a quote directly from George on this site. called and ordered and was charged on my card. i was told 2weeks max to my door. 5 weeks later, no fenders. i called talked to Bruce, they were never ordered. then he calls me later , to tell me it will be more for the shipping and it will take at least another 2 weeks(never made)
lots of frustation i won't buy there.....even asked for a catalog to be added in he shipping box , never got that also

Robin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.