Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my dying motor help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
ok here are two videos of my car dying...whats going on? What should I check or do? There is a popping coming out of piston # 2 and 4...it looks like fuel is spraying out when the pop happens, and when the motor shuts off a small plume of white smoke comes out of piston#1. When I speak of the fuel and smoke coming, I am talking about it coming out of the top of the velocity stacks...It idles at 450 ish right now...odd...Skline, when you fired it up, it idled at around 900ish...like it should...Anyone have any opinions? Hopefully the videos will work...if not I will post them on imagestation or something when I get back from DMV...ciao! lol smile.gif
skline
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Dec 12 2003, 10:44 AM)
What should I check or do? There is a popping coming out of piston # 2 and 4...it looks like fuel is spraying out when the pop happens, and when the motor shuts off a small plume of white smoke comes out of piston#1. When I speak of the fuel and smoke coming, I am talking about it coming out of the top of the velocity stacks...It idles at 450 ish right now...odd...Skline, when you fired it up, it idled at around 900ish...like it should...Anyone have any opinions?

Did you get a timing light like I told you? You also need to see if you can get a carb sync tool. Buy one, or borrow one, Arron said he had one and he is not that far from you. Also, did you recheck your valve adjustment? All of these are factors. Most carbs engines pop once in awhile through the carbs, but from what you said, it sure sounds like the timing is off. Check all those things and then call me. Good luck.
thesey914
The white smoke is the fuel falling out of atomisation. As the engine is shut off the fuel condenses because there is no airspeed and you can see it hovering around the velocity stacks. As Skline said most carbs spit and pop...he's barking up the right tree with the other advice too.
rhodyguy
do you get a snap or pop when you open the butterflies? what effect do the air fuel mixtures screws have on your idle? you REALLY need to get bob tomlinsons "Weber Tech Manual" available from cb performance(follow the initial setup proceedure!) and the tool on top of the book in the picture. get the book and save yourself weeks of frustration. if you haven't done so post your engine parameters, type and size of your carbs, and your current jetting combination. contrary to opinion, not all dual carb setups snap and pop.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.