Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does this seem like a scam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
ok..my mom is selling one of her handbags, and I listed it for sale on craigslist for her. We recieved a response from this lady, and I replied, and now we get the following: Hi ________,
I am located in delaware but have a big store here in Cotonou
Benin a french speaking african country. My late husband is from this place and we both
ran the store. Let me know if you acept payment by money order. As soon as you receive
payment, i will arrange for fedex to pick-up all my items including yours so that wont be a
burden on you. Your payment will be sent out today as soon as you give me the details of
where to send it but it will honestly take about 12 working days as mail from this end are
usually slow. It's a fine Handbag and i would'nt want to lose it to anyone. Waiting to read from you.
Gina

Does this seem like a scam??? and is anyone interested in a handbag for their wives/girlfriends/etc? the link: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/clo/356487357.html

thanks alot --JON
IronHillRestorations
Yes
jonferns
thats what I figured, but she (or whatever they are) offered to send a money order, and then pickup when I recieve the money? --JON
sww914
That's a scam.
A simple transaction, complicated by the potential buyer's BS.
You have a bag to sell. The buyer pays. end of story.
Not- my late husband's agent's dog will pay for the shipping if you can walk on your hands for me in circles while we film it for youtube.
jonferns
av-943.gif hahaha --JON
byndbad914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 24 2007, 04:16 PM) *

That's a scam.
A simple transaction, complicated by the potential buyer's BS.
You have a bag to sell. The buyer pays. end of story.
Not- my late husband's agent's dog will pay for the shipping if you can walk on your hands for me in circles while we film it for youtube.

chairfall.gif I had a similar scam trying to be pulled when I Craig's listed some stuff too - all this talk of a MO and then they said they would have their shipper "friend" pick the stuff up - I emailed back "Better yet, just have your "friend" bring cash when he gets the stuff". Funny, last I heard of them.....
GWN7
If it is a scam it's a new twist....you can agree to the sale providing that they agree to the money order being cleared by your bank. (it can take several weeks [read 5-6 weeks] for this to happen)

Ask your bank how long it will take for them to verify it is a real money order.

If it's a scam you will never hear back from them again.
jonferns
ok. sent them an email saying that the bank will need time, blah blah...we'll see what happens --JON
70Sixter
Don't worry. I just won the UK National Lottery and can cover any losses out of my winnings.
jonferns
haha...i recieve emails like that too....biggrin.gif
DonTraver
Go here, explains it all

http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/

Be careful out there, they're everywhere.
RoninEclipse2G
had a bunch of BS replies like that when I was selling my 96 acura integra. seemd like everyone came out of the woodworks trying to get me to take a MO and then ship it out of the country. the funniest ones were people trying to say they had arranged for a car but the deal fell through and they had a cashiers check for more than the asking price and would I send them back the difference. It amazes me that people can't see through the BS and put these creeps out of commission
boxstr
If the buyer sends you the funds and you verify that the funds are good, then where is the scam?? You hold the goods until such time that they arrange for pickup or you email them and state that you will send the goods, they cover shipping cost?
CCLIN914NATION
RoninEclipse2G
they're never good, trust me, a guy I know had a mitsu evo mr that some guy personally handed him a cashiers check for more than the car was worth, pulled the car into a trailer and drove off, bank said it was fine. two weeks later bank called and said it was bad. if something doesn't seem %200 right it's usually a scam. any strange wording or offerings of taking care of shipping is a huge "STOP" sign to run and get the hell away, it's ways that the scammer can prevent you from tracking them down.
SLITS
Be extremely careful when presenting the MO to your bank.

A friend presented a MO which turned out to be a forgery. The bank contacted the local police and FBI, closed all accounts and created a real problem for a few weeks.
jonferns
wow...
mudfoot76
That must be one damn fine and rare handbag for someone to go to such lengths in order to buy...

Looks like a scam to me.
boxstr
Okay you are selling an item,. YOU tell the buyer you accept cash or wire transfer, you are in control. Or if they insist on sendig a MO then YOU tell the buyer you will wait until the bank clears the MO. Just because they don't use the same wording as you and I doesn't mean that it is automatically a scam.
CCLIN914NATION
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.