Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Before I go and do something stupid...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bertus
In my quest to figure out my exhaust leak issues I removed my headers. Two of the copper gaskets came out, including the offending one I believe (pretty good bend in it). Anyway the other two won't come out. Casual poking and prodding has not dislodged them so.... Anybody have suggestions on how to tackle so I don't screw things up, or do I let sleeping dogs lie and leave them alone and replace the other two?

Thanks in advance,

Bert
dlo914
***deleted***
Twystd1
Naw... yank em all out and look at em.

That way you will know for sure which offending copper ring is toasted.

I use a 90 degree pick to yank em off in a car. You can usually
(and carefully) just tap em and they fall off.

Note. You can use a dab of super glue or a (teeny bit) of permatex copper to hold them in while you reset you headers if you have to.

Jake Raby has some trick copper gaskets for this application. They work better than stock. Len Hoffman told me about these. And since they have been using these. The exhaust leaks issues have gone way down. I figure a guy that builds custom Type IV heads for a living must know something.

Do not score up the mating surfaces trying to get them out. Just take your time.

Thats my opinion and experience. Your may be different.

Regards,

Clayton
BahnBrenner914
Aren't the copper rings crushable and have to be replaced every time you take the headers off? or is that just a marketing ploy?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jun 25 2007, 04:53 AM) *

Aren't the copper rings crushable and have to be replaced every time you take the headers off? or is that just a marketing ploy?

Yes they are, yes you do & no it's not. I don't know of any copper washers from any manufacturer that are reuseable.

cool_shades.gif
Bertus
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jun 24 2007, 11:02 PM) *

Naw... yank em all out and look at em.

That way you will know for sure which offending copper ring is toasted.

I use a 90 degree pick to yank em off in a car. You can usually
(and carefully) just tap em and they fall off.

Note. You can use a dab of super glue or a (teeny bit) of permatex copper to hold them in while you reset you headers if you have to.

Jake Raby has some trick copper gaskets for this application. They work better than stock. Len Hoffman told me about these. And since they have been using these. The exhaust leaks issues have gone way down. I figure a guy that builds custom Type IV heads for a living must know something.

Do not score up the mating surfaces trying to get them out. Just take your time.

Thats my opinion and experience. Your may be different.

Regards,

Clayton

Thanks, I will try the gaskets from Jake.
Gint
Stock copper exhaust gaskets can be re-annealed and re-used. I've done it many times. Of course, you have to remove them from the head first though. Carefully pick away at them and persistence will prevail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.