Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
por914
Hello I am a new 914 owner and attempting to get the car back on the road. I am having trouble with the rear calipers, seems that the pistons are rusted in the bore and I cant break them loose? So I am thinking of alternative options and just by seeing how small the original calipers are its seems logical to upgrade. What is the best option to upgrade these cars. Will a set of calipers from a 944 T fit on? Or is there a better, easier option? Thanks Heath
PeeGreen 914
Hey Heath

I will be interested to see what people will say as well. I do not believe that there are many options out there for threar unless you loose the e-brake. There are a few options if you do that, but I guess the question is how important is the e-brake to you?

Jon
Bleyseng
send them to Eric Shea to be rebuilt....way easier than no ebrake. laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
We can get the pistons free... if you don't want to spend the loot then call and I'll give you a bunch of tips to help you get it done. Here's a couple simple ones:

1. With the cables off, tap the handbrake arm with a rubber or plastic mallet or softly with a hammer. This will force the inner piston to move breaking the rust bond. BE CAREFUL... look at the side of the arm. There's a stop post there that you don't want to break off. Watch where that arm will travel before you pound away too hard.

2. Turn the inner adjuster with a high speed air wrench or drill (clockwise). This will "usually" get the piston moving.

3. For the outer piston, take the caliper apart and position the outer caliper 1/2 in a vise piston down. Remove the 13mm plastic cover (if there is one.) Remove the retaining clip. Remove the 13mm lock nut. Now, tap the shaft of the adjuster down with the plastic mallet again to break the bond and move the piston out. Now use your 4mm hex to (counterclockwise) bring the adjuster back up. Tap it down agan, further forcing the piston out... rinse, repeat. DO NOT attempt to use the 4mm to turn out this piston if they are stuck as you say. This will only strip and ruin the adjuster. Tap down with a plastic mallet, back adjuster out. Tap down with a plastic mallet, back adjuster out. Tap down with a plastic mallet, back adjuster out until the piston and ajuster fall out.

You may want to buy a can of Gunk carb cleaner as well. Recent oil prices have made a gallon of this stuff North of a Jackson but it's worth it. Soak the calipers in there for 3-5 days.

Enjoy.

welcome.png
por914
Thanks so much for the useful information, I will give it a try, if not ,I was just thinking about upgrading them all the way around, huh yeah that would not be good without an e brake. What other option is there as far as upgrades, have heard some use the bmw and or 911 calipers , when these are used does is mean no e brake also? Thanks again you guys are great. thumb3d.gif
Mike D.
yeah, what eric said...

I just edited my post because I didn't read his all the way...duh..
Dr. Roger
some good info. hope it helps.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...brake_calc2.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.