Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
OK, I'm in the process of putting everything back on the teener after the paint job and I've run into a slight problem. When I hooked up the blinkers I have the driver's side running light (not the side markers) stay on when I turn the key to the on position. When I pull the headlight switch once, both running lights come. When I pull the headlight switch a second time, the headlights pop up and come on. So, where do I need to check for this problem? huh.gif

-- Rob
PeeGreen 914
confused24.gif I hate electrical stuff. Chase all your wires from the switch to make sure you have them all hooked up right. You may have just crossed one with another.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 27 2007, 08:21 PM) *

confused24.gif I hate electrical stuff. Chase all your wires from the switch to make sure you have them all hooked up right. You may have just crossed one with another.

I always draw a diagram of the wires and their postions when I remove them from where ever they were attached to. I'm very confident that I hooked them up correctly. I suspect that I might have a problem with the headlight switch on the dashboard, but before I go removing it and replacing with another one, I'd like to get the boards opinion...

BTW, all opinions are appreciated.... biggrin.gif

-- Rob
PeeGreen 914
So before you took it apart did it do this? If so maybe the switch, but if not I would say it is most likely in the wiring.
watsonrx13
No, it was working correctly....

Go figure, I paint and get it looking good and something else breaks.... confused24.gif

-- Rob
SirAndy
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jun 27 2007, 04:08 PM) *

When I hooked up the blinkers I have the driver's side running light (not the side markers) stay on when I turn the key to the on position.

move your turn-signal lever back to the center position ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
brp914
I had your same problem develop spontaneously, so I bought a used light switch and began transferring leads 1 by 1 until I realized my '76 switch was different than the used (early?) switch. So I began backtracking 1 by 1. While doing this 2 leads shorted because the shrinkfit insulation on the connectors was in bad shape. Now neither headlite pops up. So, while I can't solve your problem, I can say be careful as it can get alot worse and fast.

It may be a coincidence that your switch went kaput, but possibly you have incidental contact between leads on the switch.

fwiw, I've had 2 cars painted and both came back with mysterious electrical issues. good luck
watsonrx13
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 27 2007, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jun 27 2007, 04:08 PM) *

When I hooked up the blinkers I have the driver's side running light (not the side markers) stay on when I turn the key to the on position.

move your turn-signal lever back to the center position ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

Nope, each time I tested it, I made certain that the turn-signal was in the neutral position... smile.gif

I had your same problem develop spontaneously, so I bought a used light switch and began transferring leads 1 by 1 until I realized my '76 switch was different than the used (early?) switch. So I began backtracking 1 by 1. While doing this 2 leads shorted because the shrinkfit insulation on the connectors was in bad shape. Now neither headlite pops up. So, while I can't solve your problem, I can say be careful as it can get alot worse and fast.

It may be a coincidence that your switch went kaput, but possibly you have incidental contact between leads on the switch.

fwiw, I've had 2 cars painted and both came back with mysterious electrical issues. good luck

Yea, that's what I'm worried about.... blink.gif

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.