Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OEM Rear Sway Bar Endlinks:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johny Blackstain
So I'm working on making the underside of the LE as pretty as the topside, pull the end links off the rear sway bar & the bushings just disintegrate into yellow crumbs. Yes, I'm changing all my suspension bushings! No big deal, been sitting on new bushings for 3 years & I need to use them now. So how the hell do they get pressed in? I'm having much difficulty in this step & I have a press! I also foresee much difficulty getting them onto the ball mounts on the end of the sway bar. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations? Thanks

cool_shades.gif
914Sixer
I let them get warm in the sun and then put them in a vise and squeeze them in. I lube them up with silicone spray on the metal and the bushing.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 30 2007, 09:25 AM) *

I let them get warm in the sun and then put them in a vise and squeeze them in. I lube them up with silicone spray on the metal and the bushing.

dry.gif cloudy & rainy today in the valley but thanks I'll try. I was trying cold, w/ a press instead of a vise using lithium grease. They seem to big to fit inside the links & too small inside to fit over the ball.

cool_shades.gif
73Phoenix20
Warm all of the components up in a 200 degree oven for a few minutes...

Then (with silicone oven gloves!) carefully press the bushings into the drop links, using a bench vise and a bit of dish soap to lube things up... I like Dawn!

To get the bushings back onto the suspension points, I used a large "C" Clamp, with the screw type jaws, and after careful aligning, just kept tightening until it popped on!

Have fun!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Jun 30 2007, 10:01 AM) *

Warm all of the components up in a 200 degree oven for a few minutes...

Then (with silicone oven gloves!) carefully press the bushings into the drop links, using a bench vise and a bit of dish soap to lube things up... I like Dawn!

To get the bushings back onto the suspension points, I used a large "C" Clamp, with the screw type jaws, and after careful aligning, just kept tightening until it popped on!

Have fun!

Why do I get the impression you've been here & know I'm in for a whole day shot on a stupid sway bar biggrin.gif ? It's going to be a headbang.gif right?

cool_shades.gif
73Phoenix20
The toughest part is trying to keep the darned bushing cups aligned onto the "Balls" while you get the Clamp into position...

I tried every Clamp I had before I finally got one to fit and work...

There is probably a much better Porsche approved way to do this, but I don't know it! You will get to know your Hardware Store personnel very well by the time you find the correct Clamp!
Johny Blackstain
It's 10:49 AM & we're done. I'd like to thank the "World" for this momenteous occasion, that of proving the old cliche': "the right tool for the right job." I used a padded vise, teflon instead of silicone, a big screwdriver & I simmered the bushings in well water on the stove. Thank you Teeners! biggrin.gif

cool_shades.gif

(now comes the hard part- getting them over those damned ball ends! chair.gif )
Dave_Darling
I had used a vise to push the bushings in, and a screwdriver to poke at the edges to get them started.

At one point, I had picked up one of those "squeeze the handle to tighten" clamps, and that worked pretty well for installing the link onto the trailing arm. I could use two hands to keep the clamp in position, and at the same time tighten it up until it popped onto the ball.

--DD
73Phoenix20
I now wonder if a large jawed "Welding" Visegrip type tool could be used to pop the Bushings over the Balls???

Be sure to lube your "Balls" before you try an "Pop" them!!!

laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
BF Channel-Locks work just fine for installing the sockets on the balls. The Cap'n
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 30 2007, 01:06 PM) *

BF Channel-Locks work just fine for installing the sockets on the balls. The Cap'n

agree.gif Bingo! The Cap'n called it & it's cake. Big old channel locks pop them suckers right on. Used teflon spray first inside the bushings & then painted w/ lithium grease. Overkill... so no probs biggrin.gif .

cool_shades.gif

BTW- no afiliation but there's one of these on eBay for $550.00- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...1QQcmdZViewItem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.