Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Day dreaming out loud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, today I needed to spend some quality time with my Suby. Its my DD, its been running on three cylinders for the past few weeks, a head lamp had burned out last week, and I have not had any time to play with it of late. All my time was going into my 914, and Midterms were last week.

So today, I put in new plugs and wires and changed out the head lamps on the Suby. New plugs and wires is not an insignificant task, as you have to remove _everything_ to either side of the engine before you can even get your hand to the plug wire boots. Plus, the plugs sit about three inches recessed into the heads.

anyway, new plugs and wires, new headlights, put it all back together and take it for a test drive. I wanted to get the car into the high RPM range, so I did a first gear pull up _UP_ Stine Hill. Engine crawls into the red, no misses, put it in second before I hit the fuel cut. You know, having all 4 cylinders running at once adds a lot more power to the car. My car felt like it was a different vehicle, I've just been too busy lately to give it the attention that it needed.

Any way, I am winding the engine up this hill thinking "I could just put one of these into my 914. I could just do it. Its an engine I know, its freak'n bullet proof and 165 HP on my 914 would fuck'n FLY."

But I have a lovely 125HP 2056 sitting in my garage that I JUST BOUGHT for my car. An engine that I am also excited about. And I have always said that I wanted to keep my car air cooled with a VW/Porsche plant at its heart. Ugh. I need to get this thing built. I need to get it on the road.

I always do this. As soon as I have one part, I start dreaming about another. I do it with vehicles too. After Hershey, I was thinking of pulling a fluffernutter and getting a westy bus (and would drop a suby into that). Two weekends ago, I found myself trespassing on to a farmer field to look at a bunch of M715s for sale. My 914 is still on the rotesserie and I am looking at 40 year old trucks.

Its a damn sickness.

Zach
McMark
Get the 2056 in the car. It'll take WAY less time to install and you will be excited about that power. wink.gif
type47
well, daydreaming is cheap.... if i recall, you have a 2 car workshop so maybe a 2nd 914 project is what you need.... biggrin.gif you'll have one perfect stock (well, not "stock" but "original") and one anything goes zoomer!
Dr Evil
Get back to work!
jasons
Occam's Razor, "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one."

My $0.02, run the 2056 you are excited about. If/when it fails re-think the future then.

I tend to do the same thing. Example, I have 90% of the parts for a 2270 in boxes. However, I picked up a 2.4 6 longblock with a 7R case that I would love to build into an E-Spec 2.4 and put in my car. So do I build the 2270, or sell it off to finance the 6 motor? I should probably follow my own advice and build the 2270.

Gint
I don't know how much actual horsepower my 2056 has...

...but it's a lot of fun...

burnout.gif

driving.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 1 2007, 11:39 AM) *

Get back to work!

Get back to studying!

Paul
Dr Evil
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 1 2007, 02:15 PM) *

Get back to work!

Get back to studying!

Paul

Not today! biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite

Get back to work!

Send me a parts list!

And I did a ton of work today. Just, none of it was on the teener.
Except for selling my 2.0. It was great to meet Johnathon and Manny. smilie_pokal.gif

Aside form that, it was all work in the yard and the garden (and work on my farmer tan biggrin.gif )
IPB Image

All the food above came out the the garden this weekend. Even the meat. laugh.gif Damn, it was tasty too.

This was the first weekend since early February that I have not been running around all over the eastern seaboard. It was REALLY nice to be able to sit back, work on stuff at home, and just sorta relax for a bit. I don't want it to end. I want to open another bottle of wine, watch another movie, and sleep in tomorrow all the way till 8 am.

Zach
jonferns
It was great to meet Johnathon and Ben

hey zach...it was nice meeting you too...BTW, its jon and manny biggrin.gif --JON
jonferns
and thanks for the extra seat BTW.... thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
Dude, I am good, but I am not that good. Do you think that I realy remember what parts you need for your tranny? blink.gif Besides, when you get a donor from Chuck we can then see what you need. I will have to make 2 trips to fix your tranny - 1. get new one, rip appart and evaluate, 2. return with parts and un-fuch you rsoon to be rebuilt tranny biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 1 2007, 11:12 PM) *

It was great to meet Johnathon and Ben

hey zach...it was nice meeting you too...BTW, its jon and manny biggrin.gif --JON

Crap. Sorry.
Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.