Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TRANS OIL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kojo2001
Hi
I just got a 73' and want to have the tranny oil changed what type are you suppose to use??
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(kojo2001 @ Jul 5 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Hi
I just got a 73' and want to have the tranny oil changed what type are you suppose to use??

Why? Unless you suspect a problem, or you want to look at the drain plug magnet for particles, there's no need to change the gear oil. It doesn't wear out. You MUST use an oil that meets GL5 Specifications, preferably an 80w90 or 80/90/140. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER OIL. Not GL4, not anything with a moly additive, not limited slip additive, not any oil which it covers a range of GL specs. There are synthetics out there, and other oils that meet the specs, but you have to be careful what you buy. If the parts counterman tells you otherwise, treat him like the dummy he is, and go elsewhere. Most VW shops carry GL4, BTW, which you shouldn't use. Works fine in their trannies, but not yours. The Cap'n
kojo2001
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 5 2007, 12:25 PM) *

Hi

Why? Unless you suspect a problem, or you want to look at the drain plug magnet for particles, there's no need to change the gear oil. It doesn't wear out. You MUST use an oil that meets GL5 Specifications, preferably an 80w90 or 80/90/140. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER OIL. Not GL4, not anything with a moly additive, not limited slip additive, not any oil which it covers a range of GL specs. There are synthetics out there, and other oils that meet the specs, but you have to be careful what you buy. If the parts counterman tells you otherwise, treat him like the dummy he is, and go elsewhere. Most VW shops carry GL4, BTW, which you shouldn't use. Works fine in their trannies, but not yours. The Cap'n

Thanks tranny seems pretty good but i notice first sometimes grinds a little a wanted to see how to smooth out a little?? Also do you recomend useing those gas additives to help cleen carbs an reduce carbon build up? car was sitting for a while?? Any recomendations I am new to all this?

Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(kojo2001 @ Jul 5 2007, 12:33 PM) *

Hi

Thanks tranny seems pretty good but i notice first sometimes grinds a little a wanted to see how to smooth out a little?? Also do you recomend useing those gas additives to help cleen carbs an reduce carbon build up? car was sitting for a while?? Any recomendations I am new to all this?

Thanks

Use something like Techron as a fuel system cleaner. The one you buy at Chevron stations is stronger than what they sell at parts stores. It's doubtful changing the gear oil will improve your shifting, although there are people who say Swepco does. Grinding is generally either a wear problem, or a clutch problem. In either case, fresh gear oil won't make a difference. The Cap'n
kojo2001
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 5 2007, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(kojo2001 @ Jul 5 2007, 12:33 PM) *

Hi

Thanks

Use something like Techron as a fuel system cleaner. The one you buy at Chevron stations is stronger than what they sell at parts stores. It's doubtful changing the gear oil will improve your shifting, although there are people who say Swepco does. Grinding is generally either a wear problem, or a clutch problem. In either case, fresh gear oil won't make a difference. The Cap'n

thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.