Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing distributor pinion gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
So, I was thinking about this on the way to work. When rebuilding an engine, how do you make sure that the distributor pinion gear is going in at the right angle? I watched Jake's video, where he set the rotor to line up with the notch on the distributor housing, then stabs the distributor and the pinion gear at the same time. But, then, doesn't that assume that your distributor was timed and not moved when you took it off? Mine has the fastening clamp removed already. Will it ever really matter?
IronHillRestorations
You've got to get the engine at TDC #1, and then install the drive gear at the correct angle. I don't know it right off hand, but the description in the Haynes manual is fairly easy.

The drive on the gear and the bottom of the distributor is offset and the distributor will only go in one way.

I use an old drum stick with the tip broken off and it wedges in the drive gear perfectly. It makes removal and install easy.
toomanyinkc
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 6 2007, 11:24 AM) *

You've got to get the engine at TDC #1, and then install the drive gear at the correct angle. I don't know it right off hand, but the description in the Haynes manual is fairly easy.

The drive on the gear and the bottom of the distributor is offset and the distributor will only go in one way.

I use an old drum stick with the tip broken off and it wedges in the drive gear perfectly. It makes removal and install easy.

java script:emoticon(':agree:', 'smid_8')
agree.gif

The Haynes manual has a nice description. The slot in the top of the distributor drive shaft should be at a 12 degree angle to the split line of the engine case. The slot is slightly offset; the smaller part goes to the outside. The manual has a nice picture. The shaft will rotate when you install it and the gears engage, so you'll have to start out at a different angle than 12 deg.

It only *really* matters if the vacuum cannister hits the engine tin, although it could be a bit confusing to the next guy when the spark plug wires appear to go to the wrong towers on the cap.

The PO installed mine wrong and I'm too scared of dropping the washer or spring into the case to have a go at fixing it.
Gint
QUOTE(toomanyinkc @ Jul 6 2007, 10:41 AM) *

The PO installed mine wrong and I'm too scared of dropping the washer or spring into the case to have a go at fixing it.

laugh.gif

Same here...

and the 009 doesn't care where its pointed so neither do I.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.