Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nonscratching Floating Ducktail
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
With the use of this fastener combination, you can have your ducktail installed solidly. The fastener assembly is a 5/16"X3 bolt, three nuts, two oversized washers and a lil washer. You can upgrade with some lock washers or self locking nuts. Better? av-943.gif
JPB
Drill holes in a stagered fashion for that tripod effect. The holes are big enough to allow the bolt heads to pass through.
JPB
Get all of your bolts perfectly vertical and it will save you the time to make slots or oversized holes from bolts runing at a skew. See the wasers how they have been bent with some pliars to fit the skew of the tail inside. Ida be husan letrishans tape man.
JPB
I used some roven woving or mat and a generous amount of fiberglass resin. There is about a 3/16" or 6 layors of FG on the inside. The more you put, the stronger it will be. Don't forget to get the area roughed up with sand paper before ya start. 4o grit is the best.
JPB
When installing this tail, its always good to know where you want it ahead of time "as in location" so mark it out with a grease marker or something that will wipe off easily with water. I made the center bolt the logest so I can predrill where the center bolt would be and drop the tail on that hole to find where the other bolts are at for drilling. You can use masking tape to cover your trunk and make as big of a mess as you want with pencils.

The head of the bolt, the oversized washer and nut end is what you FGed inside the tail. The middle nut and oversized washers are used as adjusters to fit your tail at the desired height on top of your trunk. You can also use a rubber washer under this oversized washer to seal the hole when the bottom nut is tightened. Adhesives, caulking and tapes would also work fine for a good positive seal. The lower washer and nut is to fasten it all tightly to your trunk.
JPB
Wasen't completely done and didn't even close the trunk since the latch mechanism was removed. The cool thing is that if your a perfectionist, you can get every wave off of the bottom of the tail to make a perfect gap all around it. Another thing I didn't consider is tall the structural parts under the trunk, ya wanna try to miss all of them or else you will have much more work to do to tighten it down. Live and learn I guess beer.gif
JPB
Oh ya them 5/16" bolts made for 13mm nuts. Schwing!
Brando
Not bad, no scratchies on the paint then smile.gif
JPB
Yup yup yup. Water tight drill holes also with big washer and sealant smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.