Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Oil Catch Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
I finally had a few hours to spend on my project (it's called waiting for plating... when the calipers are at the platers and everything is caught up I can actually do something on my car). w00t.gif

Bend, bend, cut and weld. What will it become?
Click to view attachment

This ought to look a little more familiar for those who know what these are. All welded in. I'll cover with the seam sealer and spray with the re-spray of the trunk.
Click to view attachment

This tank cost way too much money. I feel stupid for buying it but... what's done is done. GT catch tank is finally mounted.
Click to view attachment
PRS914-6
Hey Eric, you can get a Peterson tank pretty cheap. They look nice and have a filter element inside.. Way cheaper and easier than hand fabricating them. Plus I'm getting lazy....
Click to view attachment
rfuerst911sc
Is the catch tank needed when useing the 914/6 oil tank? I have much to learn before doing my /6 conversion. Thanks
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jul 10 2007, 08:19 AM) *

Is the catch tank needed when useing the 914/6 oil tank? I have much to learn before doing my /6 conversion. Thanks

Yes & no. If you're going racing then it's best to use a catch can, regardless of the marque or model. If you need to pass emissions you'd better forget it.

Instead of reburning the foam/vapors that occur @ the top of the oil tank during engine operation, all that gunk flows into the bottle & keeps your intake system cleaner. It is not street legal in MD, DC or VA. Have no idea w/ regards to your local.

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
Hey Eric, you can get a Peterson tank pretty cheap.

GT's didn't have those silly polished things... they had these! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

It is not street legal in MD, DC or VA.

Fine! mad.gif I didn't want to come see you anyway... dry.gif

tongue.gif
jtf914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 10 2007, 08:33 AM) *

It is not street legal in MD, DC or VA.

I just moved from NoVA, and they never looked in the trunk for a state safety inspection... Probably could have told the guy it was a coolant tank smile.gif if I had too

Nice install Eric!! Is the same guy who did the body&paint on your last yellow -6 going to do this one as well?
Johny Blackstain
Don't be mad E, I missed out on the one Andy mentioned was on eBay in Germany (month ago) & would have got one. Now I get to be jealous instead dry.gif .

cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jul 10 2007, 02:15 PM) *

I just moved from NoVA, and they never looked in the trunk for a state safety inspection... Probably could have told the guy it was a coolant tank smile.gif if I had too

In MD, where I used to reside, they've been on the lookout for them, bigger turbos, purple or yellow injectors, etc... because of Evos' & WRXs' & Integras & Civics & anyone else involved in "the tuner wars".

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
Is the same guy who did the body&paint on your last yellow -6 going to do this one as well?

Thanks Justin. Yup, Troy is my man for paint... I'm trying to get the metal work done so he can get it.
So.Cal.914
Eric, I am in Fla. right now The fires out west are big news here. I remember you

posting a pic when it started in Mormonland and it looked close. All cool on the front?
Eric_Shea
Yeah Paul... we're cool (so to speak). That fire started the night of the 3rd and ran all night burniong about 65 acres. They came by with helicopters and chemical planes the next morning and put it out. It took all day on the 4th to arrest it. We had more flare ups on the 5th and 6th but it was contained.

The ones on the news are down South and are the largest in State history. 311,000 acres. It's smokey or hazy here in the valley but no threat. (yet) wink.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 10 2007, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jul 10 2007, 02:15 PM) *

In MD, where I used to reside, they've been on the lookout for them, bigger turbos, purple or yellow injectors, etc... because of Evos' & WRXs' & Integras & Civics & anyone else involved in "the tuner wars".

cool_shades.gif

That's why you license it as an antique car, can run whatever the hell you want wink.gif
davep
I picked up my bottle back when they were still available.
Eric, could you fab up an extra bracket? Cost?
Eric_Shea
Dave,

Do you have that exact tank?

Let me know...

E.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 11 2007, 12:37 PM) *

That's why you license it as an antique car, can run whatever the hell you want wink.gif

I did. You can't drive an "antique" more than 250 miles away from your home here in VA & both MD & VA don't let you drive during the week unless your put-putting to the store. You can't be driving it to work. Drive it everyday & they find out you get slapped w/ fines & inspections. Welcome to the wonderful, uptight East Coast.

cool_shades.gif

Edit: you should know about the 250 mile limit- you live in NOVA.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 11 2007, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 11 2007, 12:37 PM) *

I did. You can't drive an "antique" more than 250 miles away from your home here in VA & both MD & VA don't let you drive during the week unless your put-putting to the store. You can't be driving it to work. Drive it everyday & they find out you get slapped w/ fines & inspections. Welcome to the wonderful, uptight East Coast.

cool_shades.gif

Edit: you should know about the 250 mile limit- you live in NOVA.

Typically if I'm driving more than 250 miles it's for an event. And you can be 'testing' parts anytime you drive it. Has anyone ever gotten nabbed for driving an antique car too much?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 13 2007, 12:18 PM) *

Typically if I'm driving more than 250 miles it's for an event. And you can be 'testing' parts anytime you drive it. Has anyone ever gotten nabbed for driving an antique car too much?

Yes, my buddy Jim, who ownes a body shop. He's a Corvette guy, has 5 (C1, C2, 2 x C3, C5), is the original owner of the C2 & got nailed by Mongo County for using it every day. Refused to pay the fine, nothing happened until his plates expired & he went to renew. I'm sure you can guess the rest.
Anyway, enough of this hijack. This thread belongs to Eric & his GT catch can, not emissions & antique plates. Besides, he has my calipers right now biggrin.gif !

cool_shades.gif
davep
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 11 2007, 12:41 PM) *

Do you have that exact tank?

Yes, that exact tank.
Scott S
Super cool -
What is the tank originally out of?
Eric_Shea
Possibly a very early 911 (65-66) but I've yet to find a source.
kckoch
It took me forever to find a original. Mittelmotor in Germany has new ones. Part number is 901 107 083 00.

Here is mine:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And where it's been hiding!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Interesting that it has an oil system part number (second set = 107) when it was rumored to be an early 911 washer fluid tank.

If I recall my 66 911 had a bladder... confused24.gif

Please send me that box. biggrin.gif
kckoch
I'll add this one for fun!

Click to view attachment
Note: Complete with spacer!
Eric_Shea
(*&%*%^@$)(*&$&%*&% dry.gif mad.gif
davep
The GT parts manual lists part # 901 628 720 22, and that is what I have. It is identical to the tank that Eric has and other photos I have seen.

Nice filter mount. Can you show more detailed photos of it please.
kckoch
Your number may be correct, and the application the same. If you notice this bottle looks almost identical but the mount tabs are not in the same place, rather just slightly inward compared to mine. Additionally it doesn't come witht the holes for the oil lines. This may be what you have, and may be a washer fluid bottle.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

By the way this is on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Rac...sspagenameZWDVW

Eric_Shea
No doubt they're different tanks. Kevins is narrower and taller. The one that Dave and I have is in the 121 Sunauto car. They are both GT tanks for sure. I've seen the one Kevin has in GT's as well.

Here's his in the Monte Carlo Rally car:
Click to view attachment

I'd be interested to know more about the rubber grommets because it seems they just stuck hoses in them at random. A lot of cars have the grommets though. In fact, the Sunauto car in my picture on the previous page uses grommets in the front like Kevin's tank.
davep
The application seems to be a 1967, 1968 911/912 washer tank.
For what it is worth, I don't think the specific part is critical. The factory parts list was more of a suggestion. When you see the actual cars, there are many differences due to mechanics choice. Look at the variety of locations used for the tanks alone.
kckoch
I would agree dave. I think it was an after thought, and so they used whatever. I never really made the connection that there was a difference. Additionally, when I got mine, I was suprised how small it is. Just seemed bigger in photo's.

Eric, like the mount. I'm in the process of making one to mount against the firewall. I even found the original rubber strap!
Eric_Shea
Can you measure those rubber grommets?
kckoch
Sure, I'll dig it out. Now that the wife is back, I need to do "covert" operation. She doesn't know what's in there. More to come.
nein14
here's one I got on German Ebay

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.