Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shards found in sump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
i check the sump every other time i change oil, so about 5000 miles ago there was nothing, now this.

it's been 9100 miles of admittedly pretty hard street driving on my 2056. i'm still struggling with jetting issues, oil burning and seeping, etc.

these shards are steel, and almost look like threads. but the one is bifurcated, so i don't think they are.

anyone have a guess where they may have come from and if I should be planning another teardown...
mad.gif

thanks

paul
lotus_65
more
IronHillRestorations
Maybe the drain plug hole?
lotus_65
god i hope not, i'm really strict with the torque wrench to spec.
Aaron Cox
those look like helicoil chunks.....
Joe Ricard
Question about your process for changing oil.
When you change the filter do you remove it and then turn it upside down in the drain pan?

Next time don't do that. Coulda been in the filter innards. I agree it looks like threads. might be thread cutting from the filter.

Do you feel better now?

Or you got a really big effin problem.
lotus_65
i worked from the bottom up, so i removed the sump and found the shards way before removing the filter.

this weekend i'm going to drop the oil again and look for stripped threads on the sump pickup and the drain plug. i'm betting on the big effen problem knowing my luck with this rebuild...

thanks, and i'll post results when i get 'em.
McMark
Test #1: Are they magnetically attracted? Good luck... unsure.gif
john rogers
I would pull the valve covers to see if anything has broken on the top end.
lotus_65
yes, they are magnetic. that was one of the first things i checked.

i owe the car a valve adjustment, so i'll inspect there too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.