Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Drop Proceedure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I'm going to attempt to drop the drivetrain for the first time. I've seen it written up before and would have thought it be in the classics forum. Anyone got a link...to retarded to use the seach properly, hopefully dropping the engine is easier. chairfall.gif

Kev
DanT
QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 14 2007, 08:06 AM) *

I'm going to attempt to drop the drivetrain for the first time. I've seen it written up before and would have thought it be in the classics forum. Anyone got a link...to retarded to use the seach properly, hopefully dropping the engine is easier. chairfall.gif

Kev

Tech section on the "bird"

here you go

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...engine_drop.htm

not all that difficult, just need to make sure you get everything disconnected including the tranny ground strap.
Make sure you get the back end up high enough and keep the nose of the car down.

good luck.
SLITS
From the top:

Remove engine lid
Disconnect battery + lead
Disconnect fuel supply line from pass fuel rail and return lines from fuel pressure regulator
Remove 12 pin engine harness connector from relay board
Remove 3 prong alternator connector from relay board
Disconnect throttle cable at throttle valve, push cable back thru hole in forward engine tin
If you have a temp guage, disconnect lead to sender at connector from main harness on pass side

From bottom:

Block front wheels
Jack ass end of car up as high as you can and place jackstands at donuts on underbody ... lower car so it is supported by jackstands
Remove rear wheels
Disconnect speedo and clutch cables ... feed them back thru hole in engine bar if so routed.
Remove muffler
Disconnect wires from starter .... pull + battery lead back thru rear engine tin
Disconnect tranny ground cable at tranny or body
Disconnect CV joints at tranny and tie CVs out of way with coat hanger or ? (I tie them to the springs)
Disconnect flexible heater hoses at flapper valve or body
Place floor jack under rear of engine and raise it so it just puts pressure on engine case
Call a friend .........
Disconnect two outer engine bar bolts at body
Disconnect 4 tranny mount bolts at body
Have friend hold onto exhaust pipes to steady engine and start lowering jack
As you lower drivetrain assembly, watch for CVs binding anywhere on the tranny
Watch engine tin getting bound up on inner trailing arm nut
Watch fuel hoses catching on inner trailing arm nut
Watch for any hoses, wires, etc you forgot to disconnect.

Once jack is fully down ... you may have to tilt rear of engine up and pull the jack out from underneath the engine depending upon how high you got the ass end of the car up to pull the assembly from underneath the car.

There are other methods using funiture carts, dropping car as low as possible and then raising car up over engine assembly, etc.

skline
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 14 2007, 07:42 AM) *

There are other methods using funiture carts, dropping car as low as possible and then raising car up over engine assembly, etc.

I do everything the same except I use the furniture dolly and drop the whole car down and then lift the body up to clear the engine and roll it out. Less chance of dropping the engine and I don't drag it on the concrete. Works great and the whole thing takes about 40 minutes or so. By myself smile.gif
ConeDodger

Kev

Actually, it is under Technical Articles under 914 Info at the top of the page.... It is a McMark Article... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 14 2007, 07:06 AM) *

Anyone got a link...

yupp ...

"914 Info/Technical articles/Dropping your four cylinder engine"

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php

bye1.gif Andy
kconway
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 14 2007, 11:06 AM) *

Kev

Actually, it is under Technical Articles under 914 Info at the top of the page.... It is a McMark Article... biggrin.gif

Fantastic! Thats the one. I've seen it before but didn't know where.
Thanks! thumb3d.gif

Prolly a dumb question, but any reason to drain the fluids first?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 14 2007, 07:51 PM) *

Kev

Thanks! thumb3d.gif

Well, you'll probably need to do it later, so why not sooner?

All the aforementioned tips are right on, though I would go to Wall Mart & get a furniture dolly. Or make one. Makes it SO much easier to move around!
addwestern
We use a heavy duty plant dolly. It's a littl esmaller and the casters are a little beefier- works absolutely great.
kconway
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 14 2007, 07:34 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 14 2007, 07:51 PM) *

Kev

Thanks! thumb3d.gif

Well, you'll probably need to do it later, so why not sooner?

All the aforementioned tips are right on, though I would go to Wall Mart & get a furniture dolly. Or make one. Makes it SO much easier to move around!

Got a furniture dolly I use to move my shop tools around. However; I plan on pulling the tranny off and put the engine on a stand to reseal it. Art Zapf helping me go through the tranny too while the body is at the body shop.
Willowcreeklane
Who the hell is Art Zaft??

Throw a engine removal party! Beer is a great motivator.

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Willowcreeklane @ Jul 14 2007, 11:27 PM) *

I just love it whe 10 people stand around for three hours while you did 30 to 40 minutes worth of work dry.gif

But hey, who needs a reason to drink biggrin.gif
xperu
I just dropped mine last month and I used the AA tech artical George wrote, it worked really well for me. Mike
kconway
QUOTE(Willowcreeklane @ Jul 14 2007, 11:27 PM) *

Heh...you know him better than I. How's your tranny working? You wanna do yours too?
kconway
The McMark write up worked out fantastic with the pix..The drop went fairly smooth, no stripped out cone screws or CV bolts. Part of the tin did get hung up and was bent a little. Was able to do the entire job myself. Hardest part is getting the entire drivetrain on the furniture dolly without help. Its pretty heavy.

Ready to move on to cleaning up the engine bay then off to the bodyshop.

I'm happy, progress made! clap56.gif mueba.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
McMark
Nice work!
Chris Pincetich
clap56.gif
Hey wait - no rear bumper OR exhaust? You're cheating. Re-install and do it the hard way. laugh.gif
kconway
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jul 16 2007, 02:26 PM) *

clap56.gif
Hey wait - no rear bumper OR exhaust? You're cheating. Re-install and do it the hard way. laugh.gif

heh...I also stripped out the rear window, door windows, rockers, front valance, headlights and targa seal...thought it might make it easier. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.