Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brad Penn 20/50
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Eric_Shea
I've heard a tremendous amount of good talk on Brad Penn 20/50 lately. Seems like this is the old Kendall GT.

Let me know your thoughts before I buy a boatload of this stuff. Seriously, it's supposed to be the best stuff out there... confused24.gif
HalM
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 09:43 PM) *

I've heard a tremendous amount of good talk on Brad Penn 20/50 lately. Seems like this is the old Kendall GT.

Let me know your thoughts before I buy a boatload of this stuff. Seriously, it's supposed to be the best stuff out there... confused24.gif

Yep. . . Good stuff. Several highly respected wrenches over on PP and RL as well as Jake strongly recommend the stuff, even for a 993. I changed to it before a DE earlier this month. The car ran fine and didn't leak a drop.

Hal Michael
'73 914 RAT 2056
'96 993
Phoenix-MN
agree.gif
The Local Porsche shop (The Nurburgring, St. Boni, MN) Switched to Brad Penn earlier this year. He sells it bulk or by the case. It is the old Kendall GT - the good stuff.

Paul
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 06:43 PM) *

I will buy a case or two... It is the old Kendall GT.
Eric_Shea
I'm going for it then. Everyone is echoing the same response.

I've been sharpening the pencil and I'm looking at offering a group buy at $49.95 a case or $5.00 a quart plus shipping. Thoughts?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 07:17 PM) *

I'm going for it then. Everyone is echoing the same response.

I've been sharpening the pencil and I'm looking at offering a group buy at $49.95 a case or $5.00 a quart plus shipping. Thoughts?

I have 16 aircooled cylinders here. That would be fine. I have six more watercooled from the same era too that could use that stuff...
URY914
QUOTE(HalM @ Jul 17 2007, 05:49 PM) *

and didn't leak a drop.

Hal Michael
'73 914 RAT 2056
'96 993

You mean someone is now making an oil that doesn't leak??? laugh.gif
They never tested in a 914 before.
Eric_Shea
You mean someone is now making an oil that doesn't leak???

Someone actually said that their car stopped leaking in a post I read. NO... I'm not advocating this as a stop leak thing, just an interesting comment. wink.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 06:26 PM) *

You mean someone is now making an oil that doesn't leak???

Someone actually said that their car stopped leaking in a post I read. NO... I'm not advocating this as a stop leak thing, just an interesting comment. wink.gif

It'll leak in my car, no problem. sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Yeah, I got one of those too... Time for some oil pressure sender gaskets.
URY914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 06:32 PM) *

Yeah, I got one of those too... Time for some oil pressure sender gaskets.

P/rod tube seals for me. sad.gif
Johny Blackstain
Forgive my ignorance but what is this stuff & where do you get it? I used to use Kendall GT back in the 70s' & did not know you can't get it anymore. Been living in the world of Mobil1 for a long time now & am sure there is better.
URY914
Go yo the Brad Penn web site and they explain the history of the oil. Seems they bought out Kendell and changed the name.
Eric_Shea
Forgive my ignorance but what is this stuff & where do you get it? I used to use Kendall GT back in the 70s' & did not know you can't get it anymore.

Let me know how much you want. I'm placing an order tomorrow.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 11:56 PM) *

Forgive my ignorance but what is this stuff & where do you get it? I used to use Kendall GT back in the 70s' & did not know you can't get it anymore.

Let me know how much you want. I'm placing an order tomorrow.

Tres por favor y gracias laugh.gif .
Eric_Shea
Cases?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 18 2007, 12:07 AM) *

Cases?

Si hombre como no? Para que carajo voy a comprar 3 latas? av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
Stranger things have been proposed Amigo... wink.gif
914nerd
But what would the shipping look like on those?
Dr Evil
I found it for $3.50 a qt here
http://www.slowboyracing.com/estore/produc...?productid=5551
gregrobbins
Charles Navarro has done a lot of oil study. Here is a link to he oil page.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Len Hoffman is using Brad Penn in his race car. You gotta know if there is something better, Charles and Jake would have let him know.

Charles had great things to say about their brake-in oil too.

It is formulated for racing motors, not the street, so it has more of the good chemicals that our aircooled motors need (you know the ones that EPA is having manufactures take out of today's oil like zink).
Elliot Cannon
I've used Pennsoil. Worked great. I've used Valvoline. Worked Great. I've used Mobil 1. Worked great. I've used Shell aviation oil. Worked great. I've used Royal Purple. Worked great. I don't really have a point here except they ALL seemed to work great to me. What's all this shit about Zinc? I usually take some when I feel a cold comming on.

Cheers, Elliot
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Jul 18 2007, 12:30 AM) *

Charles Navarro has done a lot of oil study. Here is a link to he oil page.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Len Hoffman is using Brad Penn in his race car. You gotta know if there is something better, Charles and Jake would have let him know.

Charles had great things to say about their brake-in oil too.

It is formulated for racing motors, not the street, so it has more of the good chemicals that our aircooled motors need (you know the ones that EPA is having manufactures take out of today's oil like zink).

Arent' Charles and Jake distributors for this stuff now?
Twystd1
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 18 2007, 12:34 AM) *

I've used Pennsoil. Worked great. I've used Valvoline. Worked Great. I've used Mobil 1. Worked great. I've used Shell aviation oil. Worked great. I've used Royal Purple. Worked great. I don't really have a point here except they ALL seemed to work great to me. What's all this shit about Zinc? I usually take some when I feel a cold comming on.

Cheers, Elliot

Hey Elliot,

Didn't you have 2 flat cams in a row from FAT performance?

Think it might have been in part oil related?

And I believe Jake said on his site that he is not going to sell the Brad Penn oil as the shipping costs were too great. So there would be little if any money in it.

And I believe he is mandating the use of it in ALL of his new engines as a warranty item. I am sure he will pop in and state his use and sales of this oil promptly.

Cheers,

Clayton

Jake Raby
I am in the middle of releasing a buletin for ALL my complete engines and engine kits MANDATING the use of Brad Penn oil effective immediately.

The data, wear and oil analysis we have experienced prove this is the best oil currently on the market for wear.

We **may** sell the oil in the store but it will be available for engine owners and engine kit owners through us. Shipping oil is a bitch and I hate the freaking EPA and the shipping issues with getting it from us to the customer.

Other oils are accelerating cam and lifter wear daily, the oil that you have used for years just isn't the same any more.
type47
any guidelines for which grade (10w-30,10w-40, etc) to use? i have a 2.0 euro d-jet motor i'm breaking in at the moment and would be interested in using the best oil, but what grade? 99% street, 1% track.
Jake Raby
Can't make those recommendations due to liability... (you have a failure, I get blamed and we end up in court- not cool)

Maybe a non professional can help you on this one..

(or do some searches on the topic)

sorry.
Dave_Darling
Back when I ran Kendall, I used 20-50. I believe that the Brad Penn guys recommended their 20-50 as well. smile.gif

--DD
davep
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 18 2007, 05:46 AM) *

Can't make those recommendations due to liability... (you have a failure, I get blamed and we end up in court- not cool)

Isn't that a bitch! I fully understand and agree with this however. Fortunately we do understand your feelings on the subject.

Dave
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 17 2007, 10:29 PM) *

thanks for the tip wink.gif

If you register on the site and use this promotion code 4g63hpforum

you can save another 5% smile.gif
Joe Ricard
So how long do you think the guys at Slowboy racing will start asking Who are all these 914 guys and why are they buying all our oil.

Thanks Dr. Evil and Greg aka (Bandito, Trojanman, NARP BOY), just placed my order for 6 Qts.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 18 2007, 10:04 AM) *

So how long do you think the guys at Slowboy racing will start asking Who are all these 914 guys and why are they buying all our oil.

haha

I'm not sure, but I sent them a request to sponsor our event in Moab ths year.

Maybe the increased sales will mean better door prizes. lol

Joe, you should drive out for this one (a 914 is not required you know) smile.gif
Joe Ricard
I got a 914.
Just look different than yours
TROJANMAN
I know. I just meant you don't have to drive it all the way from the swamp to enjoy the event smile.gif

It would be great to meet you beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Also, if you contact the Brad Penn oil folks and ask for a local distributor they will give you the contact info. biggrin.gif As soon as my car is running correctly (in the year 2056) I will likely get some of this stuff. I have too many 70s vehicles not to use good, period correct oil thumb3d.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jul 18 2007, 01:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 18 2007, 12:34 AM) *

Cheers, Elliot

Hey Elliot,

Didn't you have 2 flat cams in a row from FAT performance?

Think it might have been in part oil related?

And I believe Jake said on his site that he is not going to sell the Brad Penn oil as the shipping costs were too great. So there would be little if any money in it.

And I believe he is mandating the use of it in ALL of his new engines as a warranty item. I am sure he will pop in and state his use and sales of this oil
promptly.

They weren't flat cams but collapsed lifters. The cam was and still is fine.
Cheers, Elliot

Cheers,

Clayton

smj
Any reason not to use the Brad Penn in an 3.0 SC flat six as well as a TIV? I'll continue using Mobil 1 for the 944S lump, but would like to avoid having to stock a different oil for every motor if two of them will be happy with the same blend.

I don't know the year for the SC lump, nor the engine number. Might be able to look for that this evening -- I suppose I'd know that if I were a good owner... wink.gif
Eric_Shea
Cancelled the order. They're selling below my cost.

Thanks guys wink.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 18 2007, 04:53 PM) *

Cancelled the order. They're selling below my cost.

Thanks guys wink.gif

CARAJO! biggrin.gif

Well I guess I'll just click on the link like everyone else. I though for sure E you fire back last night something like "zen zen wakaranai" which is Japanese for "I completely do not understand" av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
With a Brazilian wife... my Spanish comes along with the Portuguese. Neither is very good. biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 18 2007, 05:40 PM) *

With a Brazilian wife... my Spanish comes along with the Portuguese. Neither is very good. biggrin.gif

If Brazilians & the Portugese talk slow enough for me I get them, but I occasionaly have to ask them what certain words mean. Same thing happens in Italian, but I have to ask even more. Most people freak out when they hear me speak Castillian w/ an Argentine accent- confuses the hell out of them laugh.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(smj @ Jul 18 2007, 11:46 AM) *

Any reason not to use the Brad Penn in an 3.0 SC flat six as well as a TIV? I'll continue using Mobil 1 for the 944S lump, but would like to avoid having to stock a different oil for every motor if two of them will be happy with the same blend.

I don't know the year for the SC lump, nor the engine number. Might be able to look for that this evening -- I suppose I'd know that if I were a good owner... wink.gif

The Brad Penn 20w50 will be fine for your SC. I have been running the "good" Shell Rotella T in my SC but that formula is no longer as zinc rich as it was and I'm running out of the good stuff. I'm either going to try the Brad Penn oil or Mobil 1. I can purchase 5 qt. jugs at Walmart of the M1 for 19.99 but I don't know if it's as good as the BP. I'll ask for a local distributor and see what happens.
byndbad914
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 18 2007, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 17 2007, 10:29 PM) *

thanks for the tip wink.gif

If you register on the site and use this promotion code 4g63hpforum

you can save another 5% smile.gif

Local Denver guys - there is a dude in Brighton selling this stuff. I have his info at home and have bought a few cases in the past. I think it was around $4/qt from him, but no shipping since I picked it up and instant gratification.

When I saw this stuff at PRI a couple years ago I nearly wet myself - I will damn near drink the 20/50 I am so happy to be able to buy it again laugh.gif

I buy it by the cases since my dry sump setup takes a case per oil change dry.gif

For everyone else, just contact BP and ask them for a local sales number and they will get you a distributor number for someone "near" you. I got lucky that Brighton isn't that far from Broomfield, but I think there is a Denver place too for instance, so I say wherever you live, check with BP first and see if someone is local.
TROJANMAN
Tim,
There is a place in ARVADA that carries it for 3.80 a quart (and that's their retail price). But you have to buy it by the case. smile.gif
smj
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jul 18 2007, 04:36 PM) *

The Brad Penn 20w50 will be fine for your SC.
Groovy, thanks. Now to flush out a local distributor... Missed them on the timezone difference, but the request is in.
TROJANMAN
I just found a place closer to me at $3.48 a qt
G e o r g e
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 19 2007, 01:19 PM) *

Tim,
There is a place in ARVADA that carries it for 3.80 a quart (and that's a retail price). But you have to buy it by the case. smile.gif

a place in Arvada hell it's the main distrbutor Hill petroleum

those in Socal i was given a company in long beach thats becoming a local retailer krs distribution give them a call(5624372310) ask for kevin . there is also a place in the valley, didn't get the name. but i can give you the guys name at hill pet. to find out beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Nanner nanner
I just got my UPS shipping confirmation. 8 qts. will be here Monday.
Hmm guess I better finish up my engine.
Eric_Shea
FYI guys...

The "wholesale" price on this stuff is $9.92 per gallon ($9.82 if you buy it by the barrel) or $30 per case w/o shipping. Shipping from the distributor on smaller orders is almost $10 per case. You're looking at a "wholesale" cost of $3.30. Retail is not $3.80. American Refining Group has a MAP (minimum advertised price, still not retail) price of $4.95 per quart. and $49.00 per case but it looks as though they don't enforce it. Charles is selling it for $54.00 a case. Slowboy is $42 a case. I was thinking $49.95 (trying to abide by the MAP policies I was told) but, I'm not monkeying around with pallets of lube for $0.10 per quart. Just want to make sure others don't attempt to misconstrue my logic on pricing. Hence my decision to decline distribution of Brad-Penn.

I like to be fair to me teener friends. wink.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(George H. @ Jul 19 2007, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 19 2007, 01:19 PM) *

Tim,
There is a place in ARVADA that carries it for 3.80 a quart (and that's a retail price). But you have to buy it by the case. smile.gif

a place in Arvada hell it's the main distrbutor Hill petroleum

those in Socal i was given a company in long beach thats becoming a local retailer krs distribution give them a call(5624372310) ask for kevin . there is also a place in the valley, didn't get the name. but i can give you the guys name at hill pet. to find out beerchug.gif

He's the one that referred the race shop closer to me (nice guy).
Ironically, they're selling it cheaper than the distributor (hill), and apparently below retail wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.